Seinfeld

The Couch

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Oct 27, 1994 on NBC

• George joins a book club, Jerry and Elaine miss out on Poppy's duck due to an argument over abortion, Poppy pees on Jerry's couch, Kramer an Poppy enter into the "make your own pizza" business.

This episode is a George classic, in my opinion. I mean who else would join a book club, not read the book, attempt to rent the movie and then goes to some guy's house to retrieve it upon finding out that it had been rented by him! He shows up at the house of this guy (Joe) who was planning on watching Breakfast at Tiffany's with his daughter and reluctantly invites him to join them. George plops himself on their couch (armrest and all), requests some popcorn and instead gets nuts--"You know what I love? How there's two nuts named after peoeple: Hazel and Filbert." Then he proceeds to spill grape juice on their white couch after fighting Joe's daughter for a spot on the couch. Too much!

The other stories in the episode are pretty funny too. The whole making your own pizza thing..how Poppy refused to let Kramer put cucumbers on the pizza. I noticed a kind of simile between the abortion issue Elaine was stressing over and in what Kramer said about a pizza not being a pizza until it slides out of the oven and Poppy arguing that it's a pizza as soon as you put your fists in the dough..(you know, the question of when a fetus is considered a life). I just recently made the connection, I'm sure others have too. I thought that was clever of the writers.

Still, my favorite part is the Breakfast at Tiffany's fiasco. Just another one of George's shocking but not so shocking schemes to cover up his laziness.