Seinfeld

The Dealership

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Jan 08, 1998 on NBC

• Good episode, but why is George so angry in Seasons 8 and 9?

The Dealership (episode #167) was Seinfeld's first episode of 1998 as well as the first episode aired after Jerry announced that he was ending the show at the end of the season. It remains one of the best episodes of Season 9 and demonstrates how Seinfeld still kept its "show about nothing" motif, even in its final season. The only reason I billed my review "Out of character" is because I'm amazed at how much George's character changed from funny loser to angry idiot.

Some fans of the show claim that as the series progressed, George and Elaine changed the most out of the main characters. While Elaine changed, I always liked her character from beginning to end. George, however, just grew into an explosive 'rageaholic' [from two episodes back] that screams out every other line. The character of George seemed to have jumped the shark when Susan died (and Larry David left the show, after Season 7) and starting in Season 8 he totally transformed. Even his facial expressions changed, and for most of the last two seasons he had a "What the hell are you lookin' at?" expression on his face. I'll admit that George even started showing signs of his future "always angry" self as early as Season 6, but I never would have guessed it would almost completely overtake his character in the seasons to come.

Anyway, I'll stop ranting now. This episode stretches the believeabilty factor a little bit with George's storyline, but Jerry, Kramer, Elaine and Puddy are all great and make this episode a must-see.

NOTE: It's one of those rare episodes that doesn't feature Jerry's apartment, Monk's Cafe, or any of the main characters (except Elaine) having girlfriends/boyfriends.