Seinfeld

The Dog

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Oct 09, 1991 on NBC

7.3
  • This is the Series's worst episode.

4.5
    The whole thing about Jerry taking care of some strangers dog is way out of character. Where was Gavin Polone when Jerry needed him as a character witness in the Finale? The point of the entire show is that these people, with the possible exception of Kramer, are selfish, uncompassionate and cruel, but humorous. Jerry doesn't seem like much of an animal person either. He kills doves, obviously hates ponies and pony owners. It really seemed like the dog idea was just put in place to get Jerry out of the show in order to bring out the George and Elaine relationship, which was a nice part of the episode. It did a good job of defining the George and Elaine characters' relationship, as being only existant through Jerry. Like Jerry's stand up material, it's just a trivial observation. I think most people, if they thought about it, would see how there's no George and Elaine relationship. But by observing that and then picking at it and adding humor, it becomes really interesting. I also thought Kramer's story didn't make much sense. I'm not sure what was going on I guess, although the jokes were good.

The Dog would have been a much better episode without the dog, or Gavin Palone. The dog owner is a terrible character, painful to watch, be it horrible acting or just a moronically-written character. I can barely stand this episode.