Seinfeld

The Finale (2)

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM May 14, 1998 on NBC

• This really was painful to watch. When it originally aired, we had parties just to watch the Finale. It had its moments, but mostly was not that funny.

7.7
    This episode, if you call it that, was not as funny or as well thought out as we are used to. What makes it good though, is the bringing back (trotting out) of all the great guest characters in the series. It seems to me that Jerry (the real Seinfeld) probably wanted to go out with a bang. He must have known it would be watched by a huge audience and therefore made it into a spectacle, rather than a funny episode.
    What made the show great in the first place was it's irreverance, it's daring, and it's willingness to take chances with subject matter that is not necessarily funny.
    The only thing that saved this story is the witnesses (ie; all the great guests). If you take that away, the four main characters don't really do much. In other words, what made the show great is missing here.
    Still, I love it for the reminders of all the characters, and definitely not for the absurd ending.