Seinfeld

The Mango

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Sep 16, 1993 on NBC

• Talking about sex and intimacy to this extent without using gutter-talk is truly remarkable, and extremely funny. Adding some seemingly random topic like fruit to the occasion makes it even more remarkable, and even funnier.

Classic sit-com humour is usually based on slapstick, one-liners, or basic ‘a long story with a punch line’. Seinfeld’s brilliance is how they keep all of the mentioned styles rolling at the same time; the one-liner is announced by Kramer in a slapstick situation and creates the basis for the final punch line. Not many shows, or comedians, know how to do this properly, especially in American comedy. This is probably the explanation why the series and Jerry himself is a worldwide success.

This must be one of the ‘dirtiest’ episodes of Seinfeld, yet it looks pink and shiny compared to other TV-shows. The constant referrals to orgasms, sex acts, and genitals should have made this episode R-rated; if it weren’t for the tasteful way it is done. Being from Sweden, the land of constant nudity and sex (they say), I’m used to in-your-face dirty talk. We have no censors for dirty talk or casual nudity. We have no bleeps to cover the ‘dirty words’. This is also the reason why a Swedish comedian never could have made this episode; we would never have thought to do it like Seinfeld.

This episode is the reason why I watch this series. It is a perfect statement of the brilliance of the show. It is also the only good thing to come as result of American censorship.