Seinfeld

The Phone Message

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Feb 13, 1991 on NBC

• VERY underrated

This episode is a forgotten gem from Season 2, but is one of my favorite early Seinfeld episodes. Jason Alexander (as usual) does a superb job as George in this episode, epitomizing the extreme awkwardness of George's situations that would be re-visited many times in Larry David's Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Jerry and George's chemistry together dominate the episode as they plot to replace an embarrassing message left by George on his girlfriend's answering machine tape. Elaine and Kramer receive very little screentime, but even that doesn't detract from this great episode. Like many Seinfeld episodes, the grand plan of one of the characters (in this case, George) comes to an end in an unexpected manner, but this episode actually had things work out for George in the end, which is something that wouldn't be seen very often afterwards as the series progressed.

All in all, this is another classic not to be missed. In my opinion, the bit about George's father "wearing sneakers in the pool" ranks among the best Seinfeld lines ever.
  • Cotton Dockers!

Well, i don´t even know how to begin reviewing this episode. I have seen good episodes and bad episodes, in the first season, but this being the fourth episode of the second, it´s just... amazing to see how the show is growing and how this episode is so much better then the first season, it´s not one of my favourites of the hole show, but sure is one of my favourites from the second season, and why, that´s because this episode had that twist in the end, it was really funny, like that part where george tells her girlfriend that her fathat wears sneakers in the pool.Hilarious. One thing i noticed thow was that Kramer is missing i want to see him more envolved in the plots! This episode is a very good one to watch, but the next episode is even better. So, i´d recommend both of them!