Seinfeld

The Pothole

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Feb 20, 1997 on NBC

• Watchable but weak

As with many of worst episodes of Seinfeld, this is perfectly watchable and even quite funny, but sadly at least two of the storylines here jump the shark in quite a massive way. Because of the way all the plot threads in Seinfeld interconnect at the end, this has the effect of making the other two, funnier storylines also seem weak.

The two shark jumping plotlines belong to Elaine and Kramer. Elaine starts pretending to live in a janitor’s closet when a food delivery service refuses to send orders to her side of the street. This refusal, or at least the takeaway's refusal to meet her half way, seems pretty unrealistic and makes it hard to get involved in this plotline.

Kramer meanwhile adopts part of a highway. This in itself is pretty funny, as is the fatherly pride Kramer adopts immediately after doing so. However, the turns this story takes as Kramer's paternal love for his road manifests itself become pretty over the top.

On the other hand, Jerry's storyline works a lot better because it is believable. In it, germ phobic Jerry develops a reluctance to kiss his girlfriend (played by beautiful future Sex & the City star Kristen Davis) after he drops her toothbrush in the toilet and doesn't tell her about it before she brushes her teeth. I'm sure most people, whether they're obsessive about cleanliness or not, would react to this situation in a similar way.

This episode is worth watching as it is funny despite some of its ridiculous plot aspects.
  • One of the best episodes of Seinfeld plot ever!

This was the most complex & cleverly plotted episode I have seen by Seinfeld by far. It all starts when George runs over a pothole & drops his keys, by the time he finds out it is in the pothole, it's been covered already. Meanwhile Elaine wants some Chinese food but they don't deliver in her zone so while she sneaks in to another apartment, pretending she lives there to get the food. Meanwhile again, Jerry drops his girlfriend's tooth brush in the toilet & Jenna unaware uses it to brush her teeth, when he doesn't tell her & she finds out she puts on of Jerry's thing s in the toilet. Another plot merges, Kramer adopts a highway & makes some major changes. While Jerry is freaking out, George has to drill in the pothole by himself, as he does it he hits the pipe while Elaine confused as the janitor has to go on Kramer's highway to get rid of the apartment junk. As Jerry & his girlfriend start to reconcile, the toilet explodes because George hit the pipe, which explodes on Jenna so as shallow & disgusted Jerry is, he breaks up with her. While Elaine is enjoying the wider lanes cause Kramer changed them, she drops a trophy that is trash & Newman behind her, the trophy gets stuck under his car while driving, sparks fly everywhere & Newman continues driving unaware, as Kramer gets a tub of flammable oil confuses with paint, he pills it all over the lane by accident, Newman runs over it & his car bursts in to flames. While Kramer makes a run for it from the cops by changing the lanes. That is big! An outstanding episode which is flawless that has great funny moments that will be remembered for ages.
  • Seindfeld Epiosde Reveiw

This is a great funny episode of Seinfeld one of the best of the 8th season of the show with all of the stories in the episode Elaine and her takeout problem if very clever and funny Jerry and his toothbrush problem is even funnier and George losing his keys Kramer who adopts a freeway is the best story in the episode as it is the funniest this is a good half hour episode the stories mix well with each other and never boring at all my over rating for this episode of the TV show Seinfeld is 9.9 the end
  • Toothbrush in toilet bowl!

Here we see Jerry going out with this woman. However, Jerry knocks her toothbrush in the toilet on accident and oops, she's uses the toothbrush! Meanwhile, George looses his keys with a squeezable Phil Rizuto ("talking nixon") key chain and somehow end up in a pothole which gets buried in concrete. Elaine on the other hand is trying to get some flounder but the delivery guy can't cross to her side of town so she pretends to be a janitor and somehow ends up getting a job as a janitor. Kramer is taking care of a mile marker of an expressway and gets the idea to change a four-lane highway to a two-lane which causes chaos!

The climax on this episode happens when George hires some construction workers to dig up his keys so instead of them doing the work, he does the work with no charge. He ends up breaking a pipeline which blows the toilet at Jerry's girlfriend's apartment. Meanwhile, Elaine does the job to throw trash out and drives to the dump in "Kramer's highway". However, she drops a sewing machine. Kramer on another side, spills some flammable paint thinner on the highway. The result?! Newman drives his mailtruck and runs over the sewing machine and into the paint thinner on the highway. Newman is buring with the fishes.
  • I for one, liked this episode.

This episode may have been a little unrealistic at some of the plots, but to be honest I loved it all! At first when I heard this episode was kinda bad my guard was up but as the episode played my guard fell and I started laughing like heck. Elaine lives in a janitor's closet to get food from a Chinese resturaunt. Unrealistic, but made me laugh. I liked Jerry's story, where his girlfriend's toothbrush falls into the toilet. He gets germa phobic. I loved the end when he started to like her again but she got covered with toilet water, and so did George. Ha, classic! My favorite, I think, was Kramer's story. It was hilarious and took Adopt A Highway to a whole new level. So, very nice episode.