Seinfeld

The Seinfeld Chronicles

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Jul 05, 1989 on NBC

7.4
  • Not much story really. Jerry is expecting a visit from a woman he had met a while ago, not knowing that she is now engaged. It really was about nothing.

6.2
    Interesting to real fans of the series historically, I suppose. A few good jokes, most of the best scenes are in the coffee shop, and the waitress steals them. George is surprisingly self-confident, much less neurotic, and Kramer is surprisingly laid-back, much less chaotic. Jerry's apartment looks cheap (maybe the pilot didn't have a big enough budget). No Elaine, which hurts the interplay between the principals, and the guest star is rather boring.
    Jerry's stand up stuff is above average, but there is too much of it.
    Having said all that, though, no series that I can recall ever started out at the top of its game, and most characters need development before they can appear over the top with confidence.

I hadn't read this for a while, and when doing it again, I think I got it right. I did not know, however, that the Claire character was intended to be a regular (thank GOD for Elaine). It goes to show that the producers didn't have a clue what they were on to until about six episodes in, when the critics were falling over themselves to adore the series - even when it wasn't a series! It makes me wonder how much Jerry really controlled the production.
    I have heard him say that the three other main cast members made the show, although some advisors had told him to experiment with other people. He obviously found out that the combination worked, and then went on to gain confidence and inspiration for further episodes.