Seinfeld

The Strike

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Dec 18, 1997 on NBC

• "A Festivus for the rest of us!" And for me!

Out of all the Seinfeld episodes I've seen, this one is hands-down the best (I haven't seen every episode yet, but it's highly unlikely the few that I haven't seen yet could be better). Jerry trying to handle having a girlfriend who becomes ugly in the wrong lighting, Elaine trying to contact a man she gave her fake phone number to, because she wrote the number on the back of a card that could get her a free sub and a captain's hat, Kramer going back to work after a 12-year strike (he wanted $5.35 an hour, and they only complied with that because the minimum wage was raised to precisely that), and best of all, George and his family's annual celebration of Festivus. I was somewhat annoyed at George's dislike for Festivus, for to me, it seemed like a great holiday. Soon, I found George's dislike for the holiday more comedic than annoying. I found it very funny when George used the holiday as an excuse to Kruger for handing out fake donation cards as Christmas gifts. Though throughout the episode, I couldn't help but wonder what the Feats of Strength was! Both times that the Feats of Strength was mentioned, George raced out of the coffee shop in a mad panic, and no classification on what it is was given, other than Frank seemed to enjoy it. Then at the end, when Frank said "As Festivus rolls on, we come to the Feats of Strength", I listened more closely than I had been. I liked the idea of the Feats of Strength being a wrestling match. The only point of the episode I have a Greivance to Air about is the very end, where Kramer gets fired. But given the rest of the episode, especially the Festivus dinner, I found that Kramer getting fired didn't negatively affect my opinion of this at all. Happy Festivus!
  • The alternate reality of George's family. The Festivus for the rest of us.

Welcome to the alternate reality of George's family. This is definitely one of my favorite episodes, and one of the reasons this show was on as long as it was. Another Seinfeld episode that kept everyone talking for a long time. Even now almost 8 years later we still talk about the festivus fo the rest of us. Some of the best episodes in the series had to do with George's family. Seinfeld was a classic show and this was another episode that will be talked about over and over again.
  • Festivus!

Hoe often is it that a sitcom was able to create a Holiday, talk about it briefly for about 3-5 minutes and get millions around the world to actually celebrate it? Not too often. Seinfeld was one of the few shows with the power to do that. Festivus is such a relatable concept to so many individuals. We all want to air our grievances with our family members, we do not want to pretend to care about them.

Great, great episode of Seinfeld that will definitely go down as one of the best in series history. A must watch for any fan of comedy.
  • 'Another Festivus miracle!'

I just love that phrase, because Kramer screws it up by telling Gwen she's not Jerry's real girlfriend because of all the bad and good light.

What cracks me up is Mr. Costanza. He steals the show. His whole speech at the dinner was hilarious. Elaine has her own problems and all created by her, like always. I just couldn't stop laughing when she asks the guy about the horse and he just says 'He had to be shot' in a very cruel way!

George... poor man, he's all traumatized by his parents that there's no way someone can help him... For our fun of course.
  • Good stuff.

I thought this was a funny episode. Not great, barely good, but funny. It had some good comedy, okay plots, and average writing. I think everyone was equal in terms of comedy. I don't think I could pick a standout because there wasn't one. Jerry had problems with a woman, George was being cheap, Elaine was being stubborn, and Kramer was being a moron. My favorite parts of the show had to be where the group heads over to George's house for Festavus. The interaction was quite hilarious and I wanted to see them all fight. Overall, a funny episode. Thank you.
  • Excellent

The Strike is one of the most memorable Seinfeld episodes. When it is Christmas time, you always have to hear about Festivus. It describes of how George had a weird holiday while growing up called Festivus, made by his father. While he gives out fake Christmas cards at his office, his boss finds out it is a fake and demands why he did it. He tells him about Festivus and invites him to dinner to see the wildness of the holiday. While this is happening Elaine is going a lot ways to get back her atomic sub card back from denim vest. You need to see this episode.
  • I love Festivus!

I love Festivus! I always celebrate Festivus now, it was yesterday! So anyway George's part was funny when he sent fake letters to "The Human Fund" for returning Christmas gifts. Then he is forced to celebrate Festivus, the holiday he loathes with his boss. I loved the part when Frank told George's boss about how he hates him. Elaine's part with the fake number was also hilarious, I know a few people who do that hah hah. N - O - E - L - A - I - N - E. How cunning. Kramer's strike part was also funny. Jerry's part with the two-faced girlfriend was funny, nice... the whole thing with Elaine was funny as well when she got a part of it.
  • "Festivus for the rest of us!" Almost as soon as this silly holiday was invented by Frank Costanza on this classic last season Seinfeld, people began actually celebrating it. A great episode, and a great holiday in fact.

One of the best Seinfeld episodes ever in my opinion, it involves hilarious sub plots such as Kramer going back to work at H&H Bagels after 12 years on strike, and Elaine intent on becoming "Sub Captain" by getting a free sub (after buying 24!) However, the best known subplot is of course George's father Frank's holiday Festivus. It hasn't been celebrated for years, but Frank, with the help of Kramer decides to bring it back, much to George's dismay. His boss comes to the celebration, as he tricked him with a fake Christmas gift,(a charity card to the fictitious "Human Fund") and his excuse was that he only celebrates Festivus. Meanwhile, Jerry has a girlfriend whose face oddly goes through varying degrees of prettiness according to the light, making Kramer think he has more than one girlfriend, causing her to think Jerry is cheating on her. The ending Festivus climax is a great closing scene. A true classic.
  • A good episode!

Kramer goes out on strike twelve years ago, and finally he recieves a call telling him that a strike is over and he can finally return to work, but later puts himself on strike again when his boss forbids him to have a holiday vacation. Meanwhile, Elaine accidentally gives a really bad looking man a fake phone number and causes her to loss a valuable card. Jerry begins to date with Gwen, but every time lights give her on the face she turns into an ugly monster and he decides to dumb her, and George begins to give fake humanity charity things to people in order to not spent money...