Seinfeld

The Strike

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Dec 18, 1997 on NBC

• "A Festivus for the rest of us!" And for me!

Out of all the Seinfeld episodes I've seen, this one is hands-down the best (I haven't seen every episode yet, but it's highly unlikely the few that I haven't seen yet could be better). Jerry trying to handle having a girlfriend who becomes ugly in the wrong lighting, Elaine trying to contact a man she gave her fake phone number to, because she wrote the number on the back of a card that could get her a free sub and a captain's hat, Kramer going back to work after a 12-year strike (he wanted $5.35 an hour, and they only complied with that because the minimum wage was raised to precisely that), and best of all, George and his family's annual celebration of Festivus. I was somewhat annoyed at George's dislike for Festivus, for to me, it seemed like a great holiday. Soon, I found George's dislike for the holiday more comedic than annoying. I found it very funny when George used the holiday as an excuse to Kruger for handing out fake donation cards as Christmas gifts. Though throughout the episode, I couldn't help but wonder what the Feats of Strength was! Both times that the Feats of Strength was mentioned, George raced out of the coffee shop in a mad panic, and no classification on what it is was given, other than Frank seemed to enjoy it. Then at the end, when Frank said "As Festivus rolls on, we come to the Feats of Strength", I listened more closely than I had been. I liked the idea of the Feats of Strength being a wrestling match. The only point of the episode I have a Greivance to Air about is the very end, where Kramer gets fired. But given the rest of the episode, especially the Festivus dinner, I found that Kramer getting fired didn't negatively affect my opinion of this at all. Happy Festivus!