Seinfeld

The Subway

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Jan 08, 1992 on NBC

• About this episode.

It had wonderful editing.
  • Jerry must go to Coney Island to pick up his car which has been impounded; George has to go to a job interview and meets a woman on the subway; Elaine is the "best man" at a lesbian wedding; Kramer has to go pay some parking fines.

When one is watching this episode, they might become dissapointed once they find out that Jerry, George, Elaine, and Kramer all have separate storylines and hardly interact with each other in this half-hour. If they continue to watch the episode, they\'ll find that this is truly one of the best episode of the series which features hilarious plotlines for each character and superb acting by all. Some of Michael Richards\' best physical comedy is in this episode! Also, featuring Julia Louis-Dreyfus at her best - when she\'s talking to the woman on the subway about the lesbian wedding. Great episode.
  • Several different yet funny storylines all involving the subway

No, not the sandwich shop. I'm talking about the subway where our heroes are traveling on. It all starts with the 4 of them on one subway train, then they split up and the episode then consists of 4 different storylines.

[b]First off, Jerry[/b]. The police found his stolen car and he has to go to the impoundment. He sits across from a rather fat guy with a newspaper. He's a bit tired so he takes a nap. When he wakes up, the dude is butt-naked. The only thing he's wearing is boots. Then he and Jerry get into this rambling conversation about nakedness probably Jerry's desperate attempt to keep him from sitting up. They eventually get to the pier where Jerry has to pick up his car. But then he and the other guy (who now has his clothes back on) decide to go on the rides. They do, but the impoundment is closed by the time Jerry gets there. Oh well, he'll come back next time...as long as they don't "pound" the car lol

[b]Elaine's story.[/b] She is the best man at a lesbian wedding. Yeah...a woman who's the best man at a lesbian wedding. Fancy that. Unfortunately, the train is packed and eventually it breaks down and loses power. Elaine starts panicing and cursing (MOTHER-) Eventually the train starts up again but then breaks down again. Elaine never makes the wedding. Wonder how it turned out...lol

[b]Kramer's story[/b] This was the part of the episode that I absolutely loved. Kramer has a horrible time trying to find a seat and is flailing all over the place. Eventually, he does find a seat next to a fat guy. When he gets to the next station, he goes to a betting store right next to it and bets on a horse that the guy behind him says doesn't do well in mud. But Kramer tells him that he is a mudder. In fact "his mother was a mudder!" Kramer makes the bet and even though the track was all muddy, his horse still ended up winning! Kramer's happy, but one disgruntled gambler isn't. He attacks Kramer, chasing him to the subway where he runs into an FBI agent posing as a blind guy. The mugger gets mugged. It's no wonder they had an applause track in that scene. That was awesome. [b]George's story[/b] Elaine and Jerry seemed to have bad luck in this episode, but George had the worst luck ever. He was to go to a job interview, but he never makes it. On the subway, he runs into an attractive girl who George decides to follow to her apartment. It turns out she's a scam artist posing as a prostitute. Objective: Suduce the bunghole, steal his money.
    George only has $8, he's left handcuffed to the bed and the woman steals his clothes and wallet. Poor George....

Afterwards, everyone meets at Monk's. The episode ends with George entering the cafe a complete wreck and Kramer leaving a tip: a bunch of random singles.
  • This was a great episode.

I really liked this episode. Especially because they separated in one moment, and from that moment, each character had it's own story. I personally liked Elaine's story the most. Ha ha ha, especially the part where she was about to explode because they just couldn't keep on moving in the subway, and the one where she had to admit to the woman that she was actually going to the lesbian wedding. Jerry's story was... not really interesting, because as a character he isn't really special to me. OK, George's story was funny, luck can never be with him. And, Kramer's story was just fine.
  • One subway, four stories

"The Subway" is another great Season Three episode. By the time Season Three of Seinfeld came around, the show was just waking into what would later become one of the top shows on TV. Episodes like The Subway helped it achieve this.

In this episode, the foursome meet briefly at Monk's then take a subway to all go off on their own adventures. George meets a beautiful woman and gets tangled up in a mess, Jerry meets a streaker, Elaine gets stuck on her way to a lesbian wedding, and Kramer goes to the track.

It's all absolutely perfect. Another great installment indeed.
  • 4 different plots!

I love this episode, it reminds me of "The Parking Garage" Elaine goes to a lesbian wedding, and the girl ho pays Elaine is pregnant, so the irony of that is amazing, I like Elaine's plot the best because she is hilarious, she curses on the subway and is mad the whole time. Second, George and the robber, that was funny when he stayed chained to the bed. Jerry's plot was a bit weird, I do not know if he was dreaming but a naked guy on the subway? Kramer's plot was pretty cool, he wins 600 dollars on a horse race, everyone led to different destinations, amazing!
  • Next stop: An awesome episode.

For the first time the Seinfeld gang are split up when taking different subways with all four of them going through zany experiences. Jerry befriends an obese nudist who shares his interest in baseball and amusement parks (but clearly not salad), George picks up stunning woman who is not all that she seems, Kramer gets a hot tip on a horse which he bets it all on and Elaine is held - up on her way to a lesbian wedding.

What really reinforced the quality of the episode was the countless public transport occurrences that everyone and i mean EVERYONE can relate too, each one of these attracts not only a laugh from the viewer but a certain internal knowingness that makes you realise just how observant and witty the show is. Despite being a hobo compared to most cable shows at the time, this episode of Seinfeld utilized sets, design and the directing and editing talents of the crew which made for one of the most artistically perfect episodes of the series so far, you'd never guess that it's from the same people who brought you some pretty shoddily made episodes beforehand. It's unfortunate however that this episode contains some notable failures to balance out the numerous pluses. It would've been great to see Jerry, Elaine, George and Kramer actually arrive at their destinations which all had great comedic potential (a police station to pick up a stolen car, a job interview, a lesbian wedding and court) but i'm sure a majority of viewers will just be waiting for these to occur so that they'll miss the greatness of what supercedes it.

Also Elaine's story is certainly the weakest of the four with tedium and a lack of any real funniness ruining what could've been a spectacular plot. Part of its failure was due to the fact that it relied too much on Elaine screaming her lungs out in a voiceover to be funny but also Julia Louis - Dreyfs's symptoms of her heavy pregnancy also muted her flair.

The Subway is just a generally sensational episode of Seinfeld, a few missteps that i've pointed out above do nothing to upset this from being added into a select list of the truly great Seinfeld episodes of all time. A must - see for all fans.
  • It was decent.

I liked the subway episode. It certainly was an entertaining one to say the least of it. All four seemed to have their own problems and that I found rather funny. If I were Kramer, I would have turned around and beat the stuffing out of the guy he was chased by. If I were George I would have never bothered with that woman as she wasn't all that attractive. If I were Elaine, I would have walked instead of taken that train. If I were Jerry, I would have never talked to the naked person. Overall, just my thoughts. Thank you.