Seinfeld

The Wig Master

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Apr 04, 1996 on NBC

• My part in Seinfeld history.

I love this episode because my wife and I were extras. We were eating at the outdoor cafe when Jerry and Kramer were with the Wig Master. We got to tour the indoor set and watch them film many other scenes. It was Awesome!!!!!! We were at the same table but they moved us so we could both be in the shot. We were fake eating cold food props and they almost forgot to take the plastic off the food. I only hoped that I would be discovered while I was there but oh well This series is the best ever and I had my own little part in it.
  • Perfect comedy.

A wonderful mixture of several types of comedy, with every character getting an interesting plot line. For once George is not the irritating, selfish man, but a victim of circumstances, very much in the tradition of French farces. Jerry and Elaine are involved in relationship comedies, with a splash of observation humour. But the highlight is Kramer's end scene. Cleverly built up, executed beautifully, the scene of Kramer strutting through the streets of New York, unaware that he's looking like a pimp, are a highlight of the series. The look of the innocent clown at a police line-up shows the extent of Michael Richards' talent.
  • First Episode of Seinfeld ever seen- Monday, April 30, 2007

Very funny...To tell u the truth, that was my first episode ever seen of this wonderful show of Seinfeld. A few words I have to say ... Not as funny as the Office but comes awfully close! I know... I have to agree that this show is about absoloutely nothing....This is why I watch it. I mean the the "Wig Master" It has to be great. Jerry Seinfeld has always been there to make people laugh including my self because he is halarious. He is so halarious. And I've watched Thank God You'rer Here from the very beggginging. And Wayne Kngith was on the pilot epsiode. I know he loves comedy and so do I so Wayne Knight is amazing. And Kramer...o my god Kramer. Well all i can say is Nice Hair. But after watching this episode of Seinfeld...I'm gonna watch it again
  • George suffers when Susan's chatty houseguest stays over, while Elaine ane Jerry both have trouble with a clothing salesman. Kramer uses a new parking lot, and finds out parking isn't the only activity the lot offers while wearing an unfortunate outfit.

This is one of the best episodes in the spectacular seventh season of Seinfeld, with all the important ingredients for a great episode: friend trouble, relationship trouble - both getting in and getting out - and just general difficulty in society.

George is again regretting his decision to marry Susan after one of her friends comes for an extended stay. While many episodes in the seventh season have plotlines involving George's unhappiness with Susan, but it never gets old, possibly because the writers find a different reason for him to regret his decision for every episode, like Susan's inability to understand George's idea to extend the bathroom stalls to the floor ("The Postponement") or his utter horror when Susan moves her doll collection into his apartment, which contains a doll that looks exactly like his mother ("The Doll"). Also, Susan-George episodes are interspersed with George-work episodes - after a few relationship storylines involving George, he has a conflict at work, like in "The Calzone" or "The Bottle Deposit."

In "The Wig Master," George also struggles with the new parking lot he's chosen when he finds a condom in his car, and a "working lady" hanging around the lot. He tries to get a refund, but the parking lot attendants refuse, and instead offer him a Jiffy Park t-shirt.

While George mourns his freedom and fights with the parking attendants, Jerry buys a crested blazer after a pushy pony-tailed salesman and Elaine back him into it. Jerry despises the man, especially after he asks Elaine out without consulting Jerry about the status of their relationship, and attempts to return the jacket for a truly Seinfeld reason - spite. "I don't care for the salesman who sold it to me," Jerry informs the store clerk. However, an item cannot be returned because of spite, and the store clerk won't let Jerry return it, even though he says he doesn't like the actual blazer. Anyone who has ever experienced a snotty salesman and return trouble can relate to Jerry - he honestly doesn't like the jacket, but feels bad because the salesman spent so much time showing it to him and Elaine insists it is truly beautiful. I believe this is how awful prom and wedding dresses come to be worn.

Elaine is promised a discount by her new salesman beau, but it seems the American-made dress she wants is still being shipped over. From Milan. By boat. The friends debate whether Elaine is being tricked into thinking she will get a discount when the salesman has no intention of truly giving it to her. The entire episode you knwo there will be no discount, as does Jerry, but Elaine can't help holding out hope. You would think, with her awful track record with men, she would realize when she is being "worked".

Kramer becomes friends with George's houseguest, who happens to be the wig master for the touring company with "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat." He promises Kramer a chance to wear the dream coat, which Kramer compliments with a Himalayan Walking Stick (a J. Peterman exclusive!) and a dapper hat. However, after finding a prostitute in his car, Kramer is caught by the police at the exact moment he pulls the prostitute out, and the jon has already scampered off. Kramer is arrested and booked as a pimp, despite his desperate objections.

This is one of my favorite Kramer episodes, despite its slightly outlandish Kramer storline. His cries of protest, "I'm not a pimp!!" will forever be a Seinfeld classic quote.
  • The Wig Master

Kramer dresses up as a pimp just makes this episode. Seinfeld and its writers find a way to take the zaniest moments and turn them into pure comedy gold. A friend of Susan's (the titular wig master) stays at George's place for a number of days. Jerry tries to buy a crest jacket (callback to the previous episode "The Friars Club") from a store and when he brings in Elaine, the salesman asks her out right in front of him. It's another nutty moment for Jerry. In the end, Kramer gets a number of things and puts together a pimp costume, complete with hat, cane and outlandishly loud coat (and a pink Cadillac). He gets mistaken for a pimp when he finds a prostitute and John in the back of his rental Cadillac. The Wig Master is another one of my favorite episodes of the season. For those brief seconds with Kramer dressed as a pimp, it's totally worth it.
  • The Wig Master

Spike Feresten is responsible for writing what many consider to be the best episode in Seinfeld history, The Soup Nazi. While I do not necessarily agree with that sentiment there is no denying that that is an acclaimed episode.

This episode, also penned by Feresten, was not so great though. The Wig Master was just a really bizarre character and not a particularly funny one. And don't even get me started on that awful Elaine storyline.

The only redeeming part of this episode was the Jiffy Park scenes, which introduced a hilarious character who would later return in The Muffin Tops.
  • There's something missing.

5.9
    I'm not sure what it is... this one just seems to miss the cutting-edge Seinfeld humor most episodes usually have. One particular detractor from this is the flamboyantly gay wigmaster who is staying with George and Susan - unbelievably cliche that his character seems to destroy every scene he's in. None of the four main characters have any particularly great lines in this one - except for Kramer's interaction with the cop at the end of episode. The whole Kramer-as-a-pimp bit was overplayed. Coming from Spike Feresten, I'm suprised he couldn't have handled this episode better.

Case in point, avoid it.