A Selfie Community
ABC (ended 2014)

Last week, NBC released the pilot of its new comedy A to Z ahead of the show's official fall premiere, and ABC must've felt left out, because the network has decided to follow suit by posting its new comedy Selfie online more than a month before the series' September 30 premiere.

A modern retelling of My Fair Lady, Selfie hails from Suburgatory creator Emily Kapnek and stars Doctor Who's Karen Gillan as Eliza, a vapid American (yes, American!) woman who's obsessed with social media and how many likes she can get. After becoming the subject of an embarrassing viral video, Eliza hires a marketing master played by Sleepy Hollow's John Cho to help her repair her image. 

Watch the pilot below and then head on down to the comments to discuss what you liked and disliked about Selfie's first episode.

Now be honest: What did you think of Gillan's American accent? And will you watch Selfie this fall?

Selfie premieres Tuesday, September 30 at 8pm on ABC. 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 12/30/2014

Season 1 : Episode 13

32 Comments
Comments (32)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I found it quite funny in a harmless sort of way. It's got a Legally Blonde guilty pleasure vibe to it. And the good thing about being foreign is that you don't really pick up on the accent variations.
Flag
You know what... this was actually funny here and there. However, it got not potential. Dropped and it not even started.
Flag
Damn I like Karen Gillan and John Cho together but damn it is an awful show but I'll give it a shot mostly cause I want it so bad to make a 360° turn
Flag
I like both John Cho and Karen Gillan but that was just awful. Not funny at all! I don't see this lasting more than two episodes.
Flag
I love John Cho and Karen Gillan, together they have a nice chemistry. Just for the two lead actors I will give it a try and the rest of the cast seems interesting too. I like the concept about a "My fair lady" set in the modern age. It has the potential to be a nice new tv-series or fall and never see the possibility of a second season.
Flag
Hmm. It was like OMG! LOL.WTF?....BLAH BLAH BLAH!

It has slight potential but the script needs to be believable. It's too EASY! Why would a senior exec like John Cho suddenly take an interest to help this bimbo outcast like he just found a rescue dog on the pavement? Also their "instant" bond makes NO sense. If it had been more spaced out and John Cho did it out of a wager or something, it might have had been more realistic. I dunno. The current vibes says it's OMG-CX (Cancelled) !
Flag
No I will not watch this fall or anytime ever again.
Flag
I thought the first mins on the plane were unbearable too, but as soon as John Cho & supporting cast started contributing it got a lot better. I like the idea of My Fair Lady in the social network age. And the rain app was of course a nod to "The rain in Spain..." Will watch for now & hope for the best
Flag
So you have what exactly, a self-entitled vapid bitch turning into the nice girl next door?
David Harewood must be desperate to stay Stateside.
I doubt Gillan can physically hold that much fluid but then I sure felt like expelling after seeing the first few minutes of this faeces. At least she isn't doing the croaky NYC college girl accent with unfinished words.
Flag
It's one of those shows where the supporting characters make the show. There wasn't a single supporting character I didn't like, David Harewood was great, John Cho was great, that guy with the beard... It was just Kare Gillan's character, of which I am certain I was meant to not like at the start.

Being English, and my extent of an American accent being me walking around and now and then going 'Merica!", I thought Karen's accent was quite good.
Flag
didn't like the trailer so I'm not gonna waste 26 minutes to see that the trailer was right
Flag
First impression? Two words: Oh no. If I had to expand on that, I would go with three words: Oh fucking no.

I don't think I have ever felt as much shame on behalf of another person during the first 30 seconds of a show as I did when watching this pilot. I want to slap Karen Gillan's agent, then give a comforting hug to Karen, and then slap the agent again. Karen deserves so much better, and the same goes for the rest of the cast.

They say it's important to always find something positive even in the worst moments. I guess the good thing about this show is that now I have something to put in my 2014 Dead Pool.
Flag
Don't you mean, "Before It's Official Cancellation?"
Flag
Ha Ha Ha
Flag
i like it. it's cute and funny
Flag
why did i waste 26 minutes of my life with this? I knew it was going to be terrible...
Flag
I liked it - it was a lot warmer than I was expecting.
The start was a bit grating, but I guess it had to be.
Solid pilot
Flag
I like the idea of Selfie in theory, as the My Fair Lady story is so delightful. And yeah, the first few minutes made me want to barf too. But John Cho and Karen Gillan have a nice, easy chemistry, so I'll stick around for a while.

Hope they won't have so much social media in the show every week - the logos and IMs flying across the screen, hashtags and LOL-speak would have been fresh maybe 3 years ago, but these would get really tiring on a weekly basis. And does anyone really speak like that?!
Flag
.I can't watch crap like this show. This one is going on my Deadpool list this year, and so is A TO Z.
Flag
Karen Gillan is just giving away all the cred she earned on Doctor Who with this one isn't she? John Cho was great as always, but the pseudo-Shakespearean thing didn't work for me, and Gillan's accent was grating and caused her to have very little character sadly. I also can't figure out what hashtags they are gonna use to promote a show that's so anti-hashtag...
Flag
Wow, I found the beginning few minutes was almost unbearable, too. It got better once Gillan and other cast started interacting with each other. I was already wanting to check this out, and I'll stick around for at least another few episodes, even though she seemed almost "cured" at the end. (Yeah, a sort of Pygmalion story. She's even named Eliza.)

As for stars adopting an "American" accent: that ship sailed long ago. US TV series are already flooded with foreign actors (not a bad thing, imho): stars of Walking Dead (x3), True Blood (x2), The Americans, Hannibal, The Mentalist, Hawaii Five-O, The 100, Homeland, Rectify (x2), Nashville, Black Box (x6), Fringe (x2), House, ....
Flag
Edit: I forgot Selfie (x2, perhaps x3 if counting John Cho). And Nashville should be (x2).
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I really liked this...but i think it's going to have Cougar Town/Trophy Wife syndrome people will not tune in because of the unfortunate title and nearly misleading trailer. I didn't mind the loss of the Karen Gillans's scottish accent but her accent seems to slip too. This show has lots of promise and like Emily Kapnek's past TV efforts so i will be watching #SELFIE as well. I think it's a 7/10
Flag
It was a little unbearable in the beginning only because I have taught undergrads that sound exactly like that and it tends to grate on the nerves. But in the middle there was some legitimate laughs delivered by Cho and Gillan, it has potential. The ending was a little too cheesy.

However the one thing I have issue with, I don't understand the need for her to lose the accent she could be who she is with her Scottish accent and not lose a lot. Though her delivering the "How and Youuu" lines were some of the laughs. It is the same thing with Rebel Wilson, there really isn't any reason to lose the accent especially for niche popular actresses who have great and recognizable accents.
Flag
Staff
Re: the accent: I originally felt the same way, and in some ways I still do, because I think Scottish accents are incredibly cool. But the creator of the series made a good point last month when speaking to reporters that I think explains why Gillan HAD to use an American accent.

She said, "Obviously it's a very different story if we tell the story of a girl, a Scottish girl, who is sort of shunned by her coworkers. It obviously just takes on an entirely different meaning. It was just important to the material that she be American. And I actually think Karen did a fantastic job."

The show is supposed to be a commentary on the shallowness of American culture (although it can be applicable to the rest of the world, too, depending on the situation) so to have her be Scottish probably wouldn't have worked.

That being said, I still think Gillan sounds way cooler with her natural accent.
Flag
"I originally felt the same way, and in some ways I still do, because I think Scottish accents are incredibly cool."

Sure, yea it is when it is properly articulated. I am currently surrounded by those that could be (and I am sure some are) extras from Outlander. Gillan's Scottish is very very polished. Come for a run with me in the Highlands and try to talk to some of the natives and you can't understand a bloody thing they say. Don't even get me started on Glaswegian, sheesh you need an interpreter in some areas.

But I understand where they are coming from. Commentary on American culture does tend to require the star speak with an American accent and like I said the biggest laughs for me came from her speaking in that accent and saying How are you. Had it been in Scottish, it wouldn't have landed as well. Contrast that with Wilson though, there was really no reason to have her with an American accent and a poor one at that.

And Gillan's natural speaking voice is quite delightful.
Flag
Staff
"Come for a run with me in the Highlands and try to talk to some of the natives and you can't understand a bloody thing they say."

Do we have to run? I hate running. But I would actually LOVE to visit Scotland.
Flag
Yes, running is required. It only takes 4 hours or so.
Flag
That was A LOT better than what I was expecting.
Flag
It was ok, but I don't see it lasting more than a season before being cancelled.
Flag
I think it will be cancelled early too.
Flag
I'll just wait for TV, when I get online I don't like watching tv, maybe if it was On Demand :p I'm not expecting much from this, plus her American accent sounds as fake and extremely northern as everybody trying to pretend to be American does, which is annoying. will I watch it? yes. I like Karen and liked the first season and a half of Suburgatory so I'll watch this.. but I full expect it to be this season's version of Super Fun Night and get cancelled.. which is too bad, it COULD have been good
Flag
Follow this Show
Members