Sengoku Basara Forums

MBS (ended 2009)

Confusing much?

drdan2410

[1]Apr 7, 2009
    • level: 52
    Anyone else think you need a degree in Japanese history to understand this show? I mean it is good but you spend half of it looking up the characters just to keep up.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Lyoko_Titan1

[2]Apr 27, 2009
    • level: 17
    Take it from me, Sengoku Basara is in no way faithful to the actual history. For a start, it's impossible to pin a date down for it - at the time of Okehazama, Nobunaga was an unknown, even an object of ridicule, Masamune and Yukimura had yet to be born for a good six years, the Hojo clan was under the rule of Ujiyasu, not Ujimasa, Oichi had yet to be married off to Nagamasa and Shingen and Ieyasu certainly hadn't had their confrontation at Mikatagahara yet, which I can only assume is what Ieyasu was referring to in the latest episode when he talked about his "humiliating defeat at Shigen's hands". To name but a few inconsistencies.

Still, you to bear in mind two things when watching it:
    - This stuff's going to be a lot more familiar to the Japanese. I mean, assuming you're American, if someone made a series based on the American Civil War, say, you'd recognise most of the people in it, I'd guess.
    - This show's really targeted at the people who have already played the Sengoku Basara game, so they're going to be more familiar with all the characters too.

tl;dr: Got a point, but it's not really as bad as all that.

drdan2410

[3]Jun 22, 2009
    • level: 52

Lyoko_Titan1 wrote:
    Still, you to bear in mind two things when watching it: - This stuff's going to be a lot more familiar to the Japanese. I mean, assuming you're American, if someone made a series based on the American Civil War, say, you'd recognise most of the people in it, I'd guess. - This show's really targeted at the people who have already played the Sengoku Basara game, so they're going to be more familiar with all the characters too. tl;dr: Got a point, but it's not really as bad as all that.

I have to say you make a good point and I actually find this show far less confusing since I started watching multiple episodes at once - it is just easier to keep up.

ZaleIsBackAgain

[4]Jun 11, 2010
    • level: 47
    I thought it was confusing too, but I paid little to the actual story and concentrated more on the over the top action scenes and battle plans.