Serial Experiments Lain Forums

techtv (ended 2003)

Anyone else here like this show?

sevens1997

[1]Jun 3, 2006
    • level: 3

What a masterpiece.  No matter how many times you watch it, there's always something to be gained.  It's not one of those "sit back and be entertained" shows.  You actually have to put some thought into it to understand it.  Even so, you probably won't get everything, and it raises more questions than it answers.

The Signature Series box set is one of the best anime purchases I've made since I started two years ago.  Always worth another viewing.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

SaphireMoon

[2]Jun 15, 2006
    • level: 33
    Hey, a fan! Welcome!

It is a great series. It's really too bad that G4/TechTV owns the rights to broadcast Lain in the US; given that they've practically killed their Anime Unleashed line up, it's unknown if we'll be seeing Lain anytime soon on TV.

If only they would release the right to another, more high-profile network then maybe Lain would pick up some fans. In reality, though, it's doubtful someone like [AS] would even touch it. Lain demands more thinking then your average action anime.

Ahh... we can dream, though.

DaveJS124

[3]Jun 18, 2006
    • level: 54
    It was a good anime. Unfortunately, I only saw it once on AU and then I never caught a repeat of it, even though I really wanted to. I kept missing the ones they aired and then they took it off But, I did enjoy it. Maybe I should buy the box set... If only I was willing to spend the money

AlienKii

[4]Jun 27, 2006
    • level: 5
    I heard about it a long time ago. I wrote something as a joke about how ghosts live in the internet, and somebody said, "That screams Serial Experiments Lain". But it took forever before I looked it up on YouTube to watch the episodes. I kept in tears until the very end. To me, just being forgotten is one of the saddest things. I sort of understand it, but just enough to understand what the main story is about.

Kon-Kai

[5]Jul 2, 2006
    • level: 11
    Buy the set! Its worth the cash! An old friend of mine from school didn't understand it (She was more into DBZ and the like.)After watching it myself, I had to get the set from her! She charged me an arm and a leg for a second hand set but hey it was worth it!

meb955

[6]Jul 8, 2006

the good news (from a financial point, at least) is that the series isn't that long, so the financial requirement isn't as great as it is with most shows. and this is the kind of series you need to own -- you miss far too much if you only see it once. plus, the more you watch it, the more you need to rewatch it to discover you missed something else.

this seems yet another forum for an older quality show that has been forgotten by anime fans because it's not burning up the tube -- and likely won't be for the forseeable future. and that's too bad -- lain is of such quality it should (and likely once did) fill up pages of topics all on its own.

reachums

[7]Jul 27, 2006
    • level: 9
    I enjoyed the series even though I really didn't understand most of it. I did discover that I couldn't watch it in my house alone at night because I'd get freaked out. I definetly need to watch it again to fully understand it better but I know I liked it, I just can't figure out why.

tc2r

[8]Oct 7, 2006
    • level: 2
    This anime is so weird... but I can't stop watching ... IT"S KEEPING ME UP ALL NIGHT

so i jumped on the wired to find out more about it, ended up here.

SaphireMoon

[9]Nov 8, 2006
    • level: 33
    Yep... this show is wonderfully weird

Hope you manage to watch it all the way through, as it will make a little more sense as the story progresses.

MAX9075

[10]Nov 15, 2006
    Today is a good day, I recieved the 4DVD lain box! Looks really beautiful, darkblue / black with silver text.

hammeydigital

[11]May 26, 2007
    • level: 6
    Yo does anyone know where i could watch this series on the internet. I started the first episode on youtube and really liked it. Id watch it all on youtube but there seems to be parts missing from certain eps.

hammeydigital

[12]Jun 30, 2007
    this show is sick

hammeydigital

[13]Jul 5, 2007
    just finished watching, very good show. not that anyone ever comes to this forum so i guess theres nothing to discuss.

Alexadecimal

[14]Jul 22, 2007
    Just watched the last episode, I found out about this show by randomly looking around the internet and I have to say its awesome, just so well done. I wish there were more animes like this tbh, in fact I think its the best I've seen since Ghost in the Shell, whether its better or not is a matter for discussion

MAX9075

[15]Sep 7, 2007
    Alexadecimal wrote:
    in fact I think its the best I've seen since Ghost in the Shell, whether its better or not is a matter for discussion
    Indeed it is.
    They're both very good, but I think I like the complexity of GITS season 2 the most.

chrno1990

[16]Oct 23, 2007
    • level: 7
    I do love this show.I starting to watch it on a web site called anime fever.The show was in japanese,but it had a english subtitle,so i had to read the words.But i am planning on getting the series on ebay and this time in english.Above all this show is so cool.

bike-chan

[17]Nov 4, 2007
    • level: 7

It's amazing. Just no words to describe it.

I wonder why people don't appreciate it... I know that's not that kind of series which is produced for masses, but still...

StiffKittens

[18]Jun 11, 2008

I stumbled across it by accident and I have to say it's one of the finest anime I've ever seen!

You have to pay attention throughtout and it's sometimes confusing, but that just adds to the Lain experience!

It lost me halfway through, I stopped watching it, but then I started to rewatch it after I thought I'd forgotton it, but I enjoyed it SO much!

You have to stick with it, but its worth it.

The last episode was extremely sad and I felt so bad for both Lain and Asiru!

Anyone else cried or almost cried during the show?

YumiandMe4ever

[19]Aug 25, 2008
    • level: 35
    We watched it in my high school anime club, along with Haibane Renmei. I thought it was nice to see something different.