Sesame Street Forums

Weekdays 7:00 AM on PBSIn Season

Mr. Hooper

  • Avatar of Tkerekes13

    Tkerekes13

    [1]Mar 27, 2006
    • member since: 01/08/06
    • level: 28
    • rank: Disco Stu
    • posts: 11,070
    (sniff) Anyone remember him?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of TheHunted1

    TheHunted1

    [2]Mar 31, 2006
    • member since: 06/16/05
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 304
    Yeah I remember him, just vaguely though. I didn't find any of the human characters interesting when I watched it. Too bad he died, but from what I recall they actually talked a bit about his death on the show. I think that was much better than trying to find a replacement for him.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of DoubleE

    DoubleE

    [3]May 5, 2006
    • member since: 08/13/05
    • level: 17
    • rank: The Crazy Neighbor
    • posts: 2,689
    I remember the name, and that he was black, I think.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of little_magelly

    little_magelly

    [4]May 15, 2006
    • member since: 07/30/05
    • level: 23
    • rank: Close Talker
    • posts: 3,625
    DoubleE wrote:
    I remember the name, and that he was black, I think.

    No, he was a white old guy, right? (no offense intended)
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Missynotprissy

    Missynotprissy

    [5]May 17, 2006
    • member since: 09/08/05
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 82
    I must be showing my age. I remember him very well. He ran the store. Older white guy.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of tcwjra

    tcwjra

    [6]Jun 4, 2006
    • member since: 06/15/05
    • level: 22
    • rank: Freak and Geek
    • posts: 164
    Yes I remember him well.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Tkerekes13

    Tkerekes13

    [7]Jul 16, 2006
    • member since: 01/08/06
    • level: 28
    • rank: Disco Stu
    • posts: 11,070
    It's a shame he died. When I watched him recently in "Christmas Eve on Sesame Street", I felt I was in the prescence of a remarkable character. I thought to myself, "What I nice guy!" Will Lee, the actor who played him, died of a heart attack. 
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of kjb29

    kjb29

    [8]Jul 20, 2006
    • member since: 06/08/05
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 2,032
    [This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
    Edited on 07/20/2006 7:45am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of mondoblasto

    mondoblasto

    [9]Sep 18, 2006
    • member since: 08/08/03
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 4

    I remember Mr. Hooper very well.  For those who don't know/don't remember, he was a white male in his fifties, balding, and wore old-fashioned glasses perched on the end of his nose.  He owned and ran Hr. Hooper's Store.  Big Bird especially liked him and the sesame seed (or was it bird seed..?) sundaes the old man would make for him.  Big Bird would always pronounce his name wrong in greeting, to which he would say, "Hooper, Hooper!".  One day Big Bird had drawn pencil sketches of all the adult actors (which were all very good), and gives them out to the subjects as presents.  He saves Mr. Hooper's for last, and doesn't understand why the old man hasn't shown up.  The adults look at each other a bit sadly, and try to explain the concept of death.  Big Bird eventually understands, and decides to keep the sketch himself so he can always remember Mr. Hooper.  The actors gather around Big Bird and look down sadly as the screen silently faded to black, and a special message appeared (for our parents..?) saying that Will Lee had died unexpectedly of a heart attack.  A young black man named David would take over running Mr. Hooper's Store, of which they kept the name.  In shots filmed of Big Bird's living area today, you can still see Mr. Hooper's framed sketch by his nest.

    Does anyone know of which episode that was...?

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of NovaScotianDude

    NovaScotianDude

    [10]Oct 22, 2006
    • member since: 10/31/05
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 3,902
    Sorry. I wasn't even born when this episode aired. lol I was born in January 1993. But I do remember A&E doing a biography on the man who plays Big Bird and Oscar, and they showed the clip of that episode.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of allclearchalupa

    allclearchalupa

    [11]Jan 27, 2008
    • member since: 01/27/08
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 36
    He was way before my time, but i get bored easily and go on muppet wikia.
    Mr. Hooper sounded awesome. Can anyone tell me where i can see the episode where he died?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of little_magelly

    little_magelly

    [12]Jan 28, 2008
    • member since: 07/30/05
    • level: 23
    • rank: Close Talker
    • posts: 3,625
    I remember they wrote a book about this to explain death to children
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of iRuleiPod

    iRuleiPod

    [13]Feb 24, 2008
    • member since: 12/02/07
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 266
    mondoblasto wrote:

    I remember Mr. Hooper very well.  For those who don't know/don't remember, he was a white male in his fifties, balding, and wore old-fashioned glasses perched on the end of his nose.  He owned and ran Hr. Hooper's Store.  Big Bird especially liked him and the sesame seed (or was it bird seed..?) sundaes the old man would make for him.  Big Bird would always pronounce his name wrong in greeting, to which he would say, "Hooper, Hooper!".  One day Big Bird had drawn pencil sketches of all the adult actors (which were all very good), and gives them out to the subjects as presents.  He saves Mr. Hooper's for last, and doesn't understand why the old man hasn't shown up.  The adults look at each other a bit sadly, and try to explain the concept of death.  Big Bird eventually understands, and decides to keep the sketch himself so he can always remember Mr. Hooper.  The actors gather around Big Bird and look down sadly as the screen silently faded to black, and a special message appeared (for our parents..?) saying that Will Lee had died unexpectedly of a heart attack.  A young black man named David would take over running Mr. Hooper's Store, of which they kept the name.  In shots filmed of Big Bird's living area today, you can still see Mr. Hooper's framed sketch by his nest.

    Does anyone know of which episode that was...?



    I don't know, but that sounds very touching. I would like to see that episode. Big Bird must have been very disappointed, and sad.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of WWinnieF

    WWinnieF

    [14]Nov 20, 2008
    • member since: 11/18/08
    • level: 20
    • rank: Cow Bell
    • posts: 6,359

    You want the episode? You got it. But remember: It can be sad, but reminds us all that even if people we love are gone, our memories of them will never fade!

    Part One (The adults are discussing a new baby & Bird joins them): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXLrw2o_CEE

    Part Two (Bird shows all his drawings and the adults remind him about Mr. Hooper's passing and how things are as they are "just because"): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZTvDZHRFrU

    Part Three (Leave The Flowers skit, obviously done for certain reasons): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5HS4neB81k

    Part Four (Bird hangs the drawing of Mr. Hooper up and the new baby is introduced to Bird, showcasing how "one day, they're not here, and the next day, here they are"; With closing credits): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXEmuq-x6Fs

    Edited on 11/21/2008 2:32pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Antique22

    Antique22

    [15]Oct 9, 2011
    • member since: 02/21/09
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 897

    On Sesame Street Mr. Hooper is now replaced by a guy named Allen{who appears to be the new owner of Hooper's Store} and also a guy named Chris. I remember reading about this episode of Sesame Street when it came out and I found it odd that Sesame Street would discuss death on it's show but it remains one of the most wonderful episodes in Sesame Street's history and I think that they were smart to honor Mr. Hooper's farewell in a non-scary manner that helped young children understand about what happens to relatives and grandmas and grandpas when they leave the earth and I think that was really sweet that Sesame Street created this episode,


    Tiki

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of WWinnieF

    WWinnieF

    [16]Nov 21, 2011
    • member since: 11/18/08
    • level: 20
    • rank: Cow Bell
    • posts: 6,359
    Antique22 wrote:

    On Sesame Street Mr. Hooper is now replaced by a guy named Allen{who appears to be the new owner of Hooper's Store} and also a guy named Chris. I remember reading about this episode of Sesame Street when it came out and I found it odd that Sesame Street would discuss death on it's show but it remains one of the most wonderful episodes in Sesame Street's history and I think that they were smart to honor Mr. Hooper's farewell in a non-scary manner that helped young children understand about what happens to relatives and grandmas and grandpas when they leave the earth and I think that was really sweet that Sesame Street created this episode,


    Tiki

    Well, as a Muppet fan of any sort, we know that Jim never spoke down to his audience with his characters, nor did he shy away from controversial subjects, such as a death & in speaking of that, much of sister Muppet series Fraggle Rock discussed it on a regular basis due to the Fraggles living in a fragile ecosystem patterned much after our own.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of skbrettbug

    skbrettbug

    [17]Aug 16, 2013
    • member since: 05/17/08
    • level: 19
    • rank: Fall Guy
    • posts: 3,281

    He died in the middle of the year, but Henson waited until Thanksgiving to explain that Lee had died so that parents could all watch the controversial episode. I get a tear in my eye every time I see that episode, or many episodes with him for that matter

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Smartboy45

    Smartboy45

    [18]Jun 18, 2014
    • member since: 06/16/14
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 24

    I find these posts all to be very interesting. I was born the year that "Sesame Street" came out and I have a very vivid memory of Mr. Hooper. I also remember hearing about his death. I was 13 at the time.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.