Sesame Street Forums

Weekdays 7:00 AM on PBSIn Season

When Snuffy was Big Bird's "imaginary friend"...

tesub_calle

[1]Oct 1, 2006
    • level: 9

Anybody still remember when all the adults thought the Snuffalupagus character was only Big Bird's imaginary friend? For the longest while, none of the grown ups ever saw Snuffy; he'd always amble away for some reason whenever Big Bird would excitedly run off to grab someone to meet him.

("Oh, dear...I forgot [insert excuse here]..." and away Snuffy would go.)

Poor Bird would come running back with Maria, or whoever, only to find Snuffy gone. With patience, whichever adult Big Bird roped in at the time would explain that Snuffy was only a figment of Big Bird's imagination, and that Snuffelupaguses don't exist.

Big Bird would adamantly argue, but to no avail. It got to the point where we thought they'd never see Snuffy. (and quite frankly, we, too might have started questioning Big Bird's sanity!)

Then of course, one day the big reveal did happen. All the grown ups finally got to see Snuffy for the first time. They were in shock and awe, and even apologetic to B.B., if I recall correctly. It was one of Big Bird's most triumphant moments on Sesame Street, I think!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

NovaScotianDude

[2]Oct 22, 2006
    • level: 16
    what year was this. I was born in '93 and that kinda sounds fimilliar.

glickmam

[3]Apr 4, 2007
    • level: 13
    The reason that Snuffy was finally revealed to the main human characters was due to high profile and sometimes graphic stories of pedophilia and sexual abuse of children that had aired on shows such as 60 Minutes and 20/20. The writers felt that by having the adults refuse to believe Big Bird despite the fact that he was telling the truth, they were scaring children into thinking that their parents would not believe them if they had been sexually abused and that they'd just be better off remaining silent.

Shmoosader

[4]Apr 13, 2007
    • level: 3
    I remember that! I can still remember the look on Gordon's face. As for which year, I'm not sure, but I was born in 1981, and watched a lot of Sesame Street. My other early memory of the show is Mr Hooper dying, and Big Bird being upset. It's a fantastic show that can educate kids, and deal in a sensitive and caring way with topics like death, which many children have to face, ie. Grandparents dying.  

SailorB

[5]Jun 3, 2007
    • level: 16
    I think I can faintly remember one w/ Maria. But what do u mean us questioning Big Birds sanity? Since I can't remember too well, did Snuffy run away w/ the camera on him or not, cause then I might understand.

WWinnieF

[6]Nov 20, 2008
    • level: 20
    Well, every time Bird would go get an adult, Snuffy would shuffle away, having forgotten something. The camera would stay in its stationary posistion as Snuffy walked away, but would pan to Bird & whomever he brought with him, only to have Bird disappointed until the big reveal took place.

TeamEdward1976

[7]Jan 7, 2010
    WWinnieF wrote:
    Well, every time Bird would go get an adult, Snuffy would shuffle away, having forgotten something. The camera would stay in its stationary posistion as Snuffy walked away, but would pan to Bird & whomever he brought with him, only to have Bird disappointed until the big reveal took place.
    I remember that.I used to feel so sorry for Big Bird!I was glad when he finally enlisted Elmo to stay and hold his snuffle,until the aldults got there.The looks on their faces were priceless,LOL!

WWinnieF

[8]Feb 22, 2010
    TeamEdward1976 wrote:
    WWinnieF wrote:
    I remember that.I used to feel so sorry for Big Bird!I was glad when he finally enlisted Elmo to stay and hold his snuffle,until the aldults got there.The looks on their faces were priceless,LOL!
    Yeah. And it was of the few things Elmo got right before becoming the mega star attention-seeker that he's since become. Not to say that he isn't adorable, but I'd rather him be either in a Street story or off in Elmo's World, not both simultaneously, as was the case for many years since 1996 until fairly recently.

RugratsFan1990

[9]May 26, 2010

Being born in 1990, I wasn't around when that happened so I mostly remember Big Bird and Snuffy being best friends. However, thanks to Noggin, I was able to catch some of the episodes where he was considered Big Bird's imaginary friend. I remembered seeing the episode where Snuffy makes his first appearance. I've also seen the episode where Snuffy finally reveals himself to the adults. The episode where Snuffy reveals himself is one of the episodes that I taped off TV when "Sesame Street Unpaved" was still on Noggin.

But being that Snuffy was first introduced to Big Bird in 1970 and the adults finally seeing Snuffy in 1986, I could definitely see how the kids back then would be put into so much suspense once Snuffy finally reveals himself.

WWinnieF

[10]Jul 13, 2010
    Well, the kids themselves and Bird could see Snuffy, but the blinded and oblivious adults couldn't, until the big reveal.

tcwjra

[11]Apr 13, 2011
    • level: 22

I remember once when Bob was taking a nap on the stairs and he just woke up as Snuffy was walking away snuffy was wearing clothes and he was looking for Big Bird.