Sex and the City

Ex and the City

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Oct 03, 1999 on HBO

• A Katie girl

Being a huge fan of "The Way We Were," this episode is extremely special. This episode is probably one of the best in the entire series.

The Carrie/Big merry-go-round has finally come to an end. While trying to be friends, Big tells Carrie he is engaged to Natasha. Carrie has a breakdown and screams at him, telling him he strung her along.

The final scenes of the episode are classic. First, the four girls drinking Cosmpolitans and discussing the difference between Carrie and Natasha. Carrie is complicated and intelligent while Natasha is young and less difficult. Big can't deal with a complex relationship - he wants things to be easy.

Carrie confronts Big as he comes out of his engagement party at the Plaza. She asks him why it wasn't her...she says she "has to hear him say it." He tells her things just got to difficult...

And then, in true The Way We Were fashion, she brushes his hair aside and says, "Your girl is lovely, Hubbel." Big, of course, doesn't get it and she responds, "And you never will."

A truly beautiful episode.
  • The Hubbell Factor

OK I admit that I can do without the scene at the end where the women sing The Way We Were to each other. Actually I like the scene other than the kkkkkinky hair part and the actual singing. I'm not such a big fan of people breaking out into song in public like that. But it was totally true that Big could not deal with Carrie the way she was. I think that he needed someone he could control more like Natasha. Also how fabulous was Carries pink dress at the end of the episode. I think that my love of an episode is definitely influenced by the attire of the women.
  • The reason I saw "The Way we Were"!

This is a great episode which showcases the dimensions of the show. Each of the 4 main characters are in drastically different situations. On the serious side Carrie is dealing with Big's impending nuptials and Miranda and Steve are trying to figure out how to be friends. On the lighter side Samantha makes her first male friend while Charlotte tries to get back on the horse (literally). I love Carrie's self evaluation about curly-haired girls versus straight-haired girls. What's great about this episode is that you really think Carrie is ready to move on after this episode, because she has learned something about herself. Since Steve and Miranda are my all time favorite couple, I appreciate that this episode opens the door for them again. Samantha proves that she does have feelings about men, something we won't see again for awhile. Charlotte's story is just light fluff since everyone else is going through intense issues. All in all this leaves many questions for the next season.
  • Season 2 Finale

7.8
    It was a great finale; although:

Like always, I could have doen with out Big, but I loved Carrie's fight scene with him. I think Sarah Jessica Parker excels more as an actress when she is yelling and having a nasty arguement with someone. She puts all her passion and hate into it.

I do believe that Charlotte could have had a better storyline than dealing with a horse.

Samantha learns that she doesn't like a small penis and she definatley cannot handle a big one.

Steve and Miranda gives it another shot, which will, like always end badly.

Overall, a great season finale.