Sex and the City Forums

HBO (ended 2004)

Did "SATC" ever jump the shark, in your opinion? If so, when?

walnutgrove

[1]Aug 21, 2009
    • level: 6
    Personally, I felt that Carrie's relationship with Burger was a sign that Jaws was circling. For one thing,his character was pathetic. Big and Aiden (and later, Alex) were all successful in their own right and confident men. Why Carrie would be attracted to a whiny, weasly, neurotic mess like Burger is anyone's guess. I also thought that the whole Alex courtship was totally unbelievable and that they didn't have any chemistry. I always thought SJP had chemistry with Aiden and Big.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Tia1225

[2]Sep 25, 2011
    • level: 8

I agree. The show was flailing (IMO) during the whole Alex courtship.

Lara_P

[3]Sep 30, 2011
    • level: 1
    Burger. Shark jumping. Alex was horrible. SJP's chemistry with Aiden was off the map, IMO (and at first, I was terribly resistant to the whole thing, being a Big 'purist'). As for totally jumping, SATC2, the movie. Was. Horrible.

stellarchick86

[4]Oct 17, 2011
    • level: 32
    I could see Carrie being attracted to Burger if it was just a fling or maybe early on, like s1, but youre right, after being in 2 big relationships, its hard to understand why she would go out with him. Maybe it was a fling that ended up developing into something more, IDK. I also agree about Alek, I was never a fan of that relationship. As for the S&TC movies, I didnt see the 2nd one but heard it was bad. I will probably rent it at some point when I remember LOL. I even kind of feel like they jumped the shark a little in the first movie with Big not showing up for their wedding (okay that one is a little more understandable), Steve cheating (seemed a bit OOC) and Smith/Samantha breaking up (I just loved him for her).

Faithin1

[5]Nov 2, 2011
    • level: 10

My thought is the second movie, and I have heard they are working on a third. The second movie was terrible. There was no storyline to tie up, there was nothing that needed to be said. The first movie wasn't completely necessary, but I was glad that the rest of the story was finally told, giving Cahrlotte a pregnancy and a biological daughter, Big and Carrie getting married, Steve and Miranda finding their happiness, and Smith and Samantha ending. I thought that they were perfect for one another, but them being apart also made sense. She was never a relationship person. The second movie, it was just fluff. A stupid argument and agreement between Big and Carrie, (why would they go to the middle east?) and then things that made absolutely no sense. And WHY throw Aiden into the mix? They had their ending. it was unnecessary. I was so against the second movie being made that I not only didn't see it in theaters, I just saw it a few months ago on HBO. I didn't even pay for it. It wasn't a bad movie, that isn't what I am getting at, it was funny and had some great parts, it just wasn't anything beneficial to the on-going saga for the 4 women.

MonroeMichael

[6]Apr 29, 2012
    • level: 1

Never the show never had time to jump they ended at the right time as far as i am aware every relationship had its time up until Carrie ended up with what she really wanted and who she wanted to be with.

Edie70

[7]Jul 3, 2012
    • level: 19
    I never really felt like they jumped the shark. But it's obvious that some episodes in seasons 5 & 6 weren't very good. It's good that they ended it's run after the 6th season. Plus the second movie was a mistake in my opinion (at least it made some serious $$$).