Sex and the City

Models and Mortals

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Jun 06, 1998 on HBO

• After her date with the Modelizer, Miranda sleeps with Skipper. Samantha chases Barkley a Modelizer who tapes his conquests. Charlotte hates her thighs. Carrie sees Big with a model.

Poor Miranda! On a date with the 'modalizer' man. Only asked out to dinner because his friends 'made' him bring a 'normal' woman to dinner. The agony! We are beginning to get to know our four ladies much better now. The thing I really like is the way in which Samantha responds to all of the whining in typical Samantha fashion. She doesn't give a monkeys. She has no hang up's about her looks, and she isn't afraid to admit it. The thing that really annoys me in this episode is that the idiot man in question, doesn't even have the decency to deny any of it! He openly admits that he only likes models and only asked Miranda out to shut up his friends. But I think that's the point. We are meant to feel sympathy towards Miranda, and we are supposed to identify with the hang up's these women have. There has been much debate over these issues for years. Talk of airbrushing, and plastic surgery are pretty standard stuff. We all worry that we don't have the perfect body or the perfect face. So we immediately identify with these characters. Miranda and Carrie discuss Nick the idiot, and Miranda concludes that if men like Nick, i.e. self obsessed, not that great looking, guys will only date models then what chance do 'normal' women have? Indeed we have all wondered how we can ever live up to these impossible standards set by the fashion industry. The four girls contemplate, this over Chinese food at Carrie's apartment, which is now 'THE' apartment! Miranda wonders: 'When did men decide that they would only get it up for giraffes with big boobs?" The girls all apart from Samantha, conclude that we live in a society that promotes impossible standards of beauty. Carrie wonders why four rational, beautiful, intelligent women can get so wound up by something so...well...silly. Easy for her to say, she can dish out the advice, but she can't take it herself. As we later discover when she sees Big with a model! In terms of greatness, this episode isn't one of my favourites, there are some funny lines, and the subject matter is relevant but it just seems to lack the sparkle that is there in later episodes. There are some great moments. I love Carrie's face when she sees Barkley's videos of him with all the models. That look is priceless. It's like she's seen a car crash, but can't look away! All she can say is "Have you got a light?" I Love the fashion show! Love the fact that Samantha 'has a go' at Barkley! .....Love BIG! At the party. With a model! Of course....Everything is set up to make Carrie, once again question her own beliefs and her belief in herself. What is also great about this episode is that we see Miranda's great sense of humour. We also see Samantha's wild sex side. When she 'makes' Barkley tape them having sex. The best bit though....Big in the coffee shop...again the best line: "But the thing is this....after a while you just want to be with the one who makes you laugh, you know what I mean? Ok see ya!" If that isn't Carrie's cue to just go for it, I don't know what is! Not the best episode, the subject matter is limited, but nonetheless, a valid subject, as let's face it, who at one time or another has felt that they aren't pretty enough? Especially when seeing the man of your dreams with a beautiful woman. The best thing about it, is that in the end, we all realise that it has nothing to do with beauty on the outside, it's what's inside that counts. An important lesson for us all to learn.