Sex and the City

HBO (ended 2004)

Carolee99

Sex and the City Fan Reviews (182)

• The best show I've ever seen

Here in Peru is one of the series of very sexy adventure adventurous women in the city and that truth is highly recommended to see. Greetings from Peru.
  • A Classic show that entered our hearts

This show was so wonderful because it involved something that at one time or another we have all done; Searched for love. The way in which these four women fight for it is the struggle we've all faced. We have had the opportunity to "tag" along with these women as they go on adventure after adventure together as best friends in an epic battle to be happy in love. Oh, and just a quick heads up. They are giving away an entire season of Sex and the City on DVD at endedtvseries-com.
  • czxcxz

cdacxz
  • Do you think I could be the next Samantha?

Wanting to play Samantha's part in the new Carrie Diaries.
  • My all time favorite show.

Even though at this time, the show is not relatable to me. I was 10 during the shows final season. That is not needed, the flaw free way of the story and characters is what pulled me in. After seeing the 2nd movie randomly, I was captivated. I fell in love with it, and spend the summer watching every singe episode. l I love this show to the stars and back, and I am very glad I decided to go see the movie, had I not I would be without my favorite show of all time.
  • Fun, Light-hearted

best thing about this show is that it lets you live vicariously through carrie & the girls, since most women don't party as much as, & sleep with as many men as the SATC gang. It's just fun, entertaining, light hearted fluff, fantastic to watch after a hard day's work. Not meant to be taken too seriously
  • Carrie Bradshaw and and her three best friends explore the tough role of being a sexually active single woman in the new millennium

The series covers topics previously considered taboo in the small screen as orgasms, penis size, semen taste and the rules to follow while performing oral sex.

But overall,Sex and the City has followed up the women's issues like no other TV series, from divorce to infertility, adoption, breast canceror, indeed, the problems of bed.

These four women have changed the women's thinking and the city of NewYork.The message is: it's OK to be single and older than 30 years, Sex and the City is not about sex, is about every woman who is behind the sex.

• Empty calories.

I know I'm in the minority here, but there are those of us viewers out there who found little to no merit in the concept, or the execution of this series.
    Mostly focused on the "plight" of four women without a man, who need a man, who get a man (or men as the case may be...), who lose a man, who get another man...can you say, "trend"?...
    Now, I'm not maligning men. Men are one of life's great inventions! But did the words "well-rounded woman" ever cross the minds of the SITC writers? Attempts at dealing with any real-life issue were lame at best.
    I think this show was a missed opportunity. There was so much more they COULD have made of this premise, and they didn't take advantage. Still didn't on the big screen...
  • love or hate it but accept that it is a cult.

Sex and the City definitely is a cult. Everyone who has television probably watch at least one episode.
    Some think that it is a stupid and blank show and some think that it is the show which save and give freedom to woman.

So everyone loves it or hates it. But everyone has an opinion so this makes "Sex and the city" is a cult show.

I love Carrie and Samantha, they are funny and bold. All love all of the seasons but the last one is best for me because Mikhail Baryshnikov is included.

I wish that it never ended but at least we have movies.
  • As a native New Yorker I finally decided to give my opinion on Sex And The City. I'll admit I didn't watch the show when it was first aired but later became glued to the repeats. There's a lot to be said about this show...some fascinating and some...

The writing on the show is fantastic especially with the analogies and play on words. I find myself deeply amused as Carrie spontaneously types away on her laptop about her thoughts on men, relationships and sex. Each character has a different and interesting personality which works well with each other as they express themselves at their leisure lunches which they always seem to have time to do. Most women can relate to many of the mentioned relationship situations at one point of their life. Haven't we all at one time fell in love with our own Mr. Big and found it impossible to detach even though we knew it was unhealthy? Or wondered why we can't be friends with our old boyfriends? As Carrie puts it "If you break up with your once loved boyfriend then where does that love go?". I really appreciate that there isn't a set answer to the questions but phrased as a "Maybe" which is food for thought in our own lives. It's not about right or wrong but real emotions which women feel. If the show was meant for women viewers then does that really matter? It is enjoyable to watch and to explore our own personal views. On the other side of the coin there is a misconception to the show which I feel is important to touch upon. Does the show misrepresent the average New York woman and possibly influencing other's thoughts about her and New York? Although it's fun and strictly for fun to watch the latest fashion runway trends it is also so unrealistic. If a woman walked down the busy streets of NY during work hours wearing a clingy low cut short dress bouncing braless in expensive sexy heels then there would be a countless number of offensive comments that no woman would want to hear repeated ever again. Most New Yorkers which includes models are rushing along on their busy schedule wearing casual clothing, muted colors, jeans, or yes…the famous black. We love wearing black! It goes with everything and hides our flaws. Sure women will dress up for a date at night but not with a fur and a mini-skirt when the bright sun is shining. Come on…it's the Big Apple City with 6 million people where you fight to get a cab to go a block. And worse is the idea that one can walk into a classy cool club, meet a hot potential new guy and end up in bed time after time without regretting the dangerous risk of sexually transmitted diseases. Give us a little more credit in the responsibility department. There would be a major decrease in Manhattan's population if that were the actual NY belief and Samantha would be first. Besides it's not like every NY guy feels he can approach every woman or that you will go out and find a guy every time. Not a good message to send out to our female audience. And last while easily admitting to love fashion I believe fashion should enhance a woman instead of forcing a women to enhance the fashion! It's embarrassing to watch these beautiful ladies dressed in their smashed chest couture gowns where their tummies protrude and make the worse of their features. Okay, it's only a show, a fantasy and colorful to watch. And it is just that…an entertaining adventure in the controversial topic of sex and love from different women's viewpoints. Oh, and yes with a delightful curiosity in staring at their jewelry and designer fashions with Prada and Jimmy Choo shoes. Sharon of www.YearsAfter.com
  • I was so into this show during its original run. And then came the movies.

Funny thing is that watching the movies makes you realize just how clever the show was - particularly in the first few seasons. The dialogue was clever and and witty. The acting of the entire cast was good and the humor of many of the situations registered with me.

For me the turning point for the show was when SJP's creative influence as (co)executive producer became more pronounced in the series run. By that I mean that the show became very "Carrie-Away." in many respects. Also after a spell the product placement can get a little much.

The show was never meant to change the world, it was a hyper-stylized look at a group of single women in New York City. For that reason, I enjoyed the ride.
  • "Sex and the City" is intelligent and funny. It also works on the emotional side. It's one of thte best shows ever made.

"Sex and the City" isn't about sex or anything related to sex. It's more about life and the ups of downs of friendship. "Sex and the City" talks about the stories of four single best friends. Carrie is the main character and the writer of her weekly newspaper column titled "Sex and the City" at The New York Star. Samantha is promiscuous and try-sexual(she try anything) but, she still loyal to her friends and she is a caring person. Charlotte is the one who tries to find emotional love not lust. Miranda is the voice of reason and is Carrie's best friend. "Sex and the City" isn't just another dumb shows about people having sex. "Sex and the City" is realistic, intelligent and funny. "Sex and the City" also works on the emotional side. "Sex and the City" is not even about sex but, rather about life and friendship than anything else. The characters are not boring or shallow but, rather interesting and any woman could relate to. "Sex and the City" isn't afraid to show anything on sex.

"Sex and the City" is one of the best shows ever made.
  • 4 prostitutes get their own TV show.

1.1
    What happens is 4 sex-obsessed wh*res talk about their sex-life non-stop, day after day, making no room for jokes (not that jokes would help this train-wreck in any way..). There, I have basically described this whole show for you in about 3 sentences. Because this trash is so simple, there is not much more I can say about it, other than, if you don't want to become a wh*re, or you don't want to seriously damage your brain-cells, then don't watch this.
  • One of my all time favorites. SATC is loved by women and loathed by men, because it shows how women can be sexy, successful and confident. Even though ultimately they're still searching for "the one", the girls show what fun we can have in the meantime.

I noticed that the show reviews vary dramatically in score, either 1s or 10s. Indeed SATC is quite controversial and not everyone can stomach it, especially not most men. What I want to say it, just like with any other show, take it with a grain of salt, take it for what it is. SATC is trying to show a point and exaggerates quite much in doing so, you don't have to buy everything, but the underlying concept is power to the women, and I'm pretty certain SATC has changed the perception of successful women and the relation between women and sex.

Thanks to SATC, it's no longer taboo for women to have casual sex, just look at Samantha, she's much worse! Miranda set an example for single women who want to have a baby, just do it! Charlotte showed us that good-looks and the perfect facade aren't everything, it's personality and chemistry that matters in the end. Carrie gave us all hope again for finding "the one", even after so many men and so many setbacks, he comes through in the end and becomes your prince in shining armour.

Feminists will probably say that all of these women except Samantha fall into the traditional female role afterall, since in the end what it's all about is finding the right man. But isn't that exactly what most of us girls want? What SATC shows us is that yes we're looking for the right man, but we can all be beautiful, sexy, strong, and independent women who will not accept anything less than what we deserve. One most important thing SATC shows us is that we can still be all those things even after we're 35!

I love SATC, I think it's the best thing that's happened to women on TV.
  • What an appalling waste of talent.

1.1
    That so many women worked on, and watched, this weak, stupid, and vapid show is a sad, sad testament to the fact that this culture teaches women to hate themselves. No one would ever think to take four strong, educated, potentially interesting men and create a show in which all they ever do is whine about their relationships (compare \"Frasier,\" for example, an incredibly funny show that incorporated relationship angst without pretending that it was the only element of life). The supporting flaws are too numerous to enumerate, but I\'ll touch on a few major ones: an arrogant, selfish, rich, superficial guy like Big, for whom Carrie longs, wouldn\'t look twice at the rather downtown and, to be frank, not-pretty Carrie Bradshaw (all you have to do is take a look at the other women he dated/married to understand his spiritual type); no one with Carrie\'s salary could afford the kind of wardrobe she sports; and, there is no such superabundance of single straight men in New York.

The reviewer who said that those of us who don't like it just don't understand it is being arrogant and contentious -- indeed I do understand this show and its intention, and I find it sad, appalling, and the most unforgiveable sort of trash (unforgiveable because so many associated with the show are smart and capable, yet they sunk to the depths week after week). We need another Molly Dodd or Murphy Brown -- witty, trenchant shows that understand the richness of a person\'s life -- not a show about four shallow whiners.
  • A show about four sluts - hurray.

1.1
    Even watching the edited version of this on cable is nauseating. Four women completely devoid of self-respect or common sense are, not surprisingly, wonderful friends who share every aspect of their dirty lives and capitalize on the loutish men whom they allow to penetrate their thighs...and occasionally, their hearts.
    As a woman in her twenties, being exposed to this show reminded me of a comment my friend Baruke made once in college. Baruke is black, and he said that every time he hears the "n" word coming from another black person, hip-hop song, etc. it makes him cringe because the word is so dehumanizing. This show is deceptively about and for women, all the while trashing and devaluing them in the name of "sexual freedom."
  • Carrie Bradshaw is a fashionable New Yorker. With her column "Sex and the City" and her three best friends she will go through six seasons of friendship, love, loss, mistakes, and sex.

I always thought this show was stupid. I had never seen it before and I prejudged it. The very first episode I saw I became hooked. You get to follow these four women through their lives. Carrie is a column writer and she is in love with Mr. Big. They finally get together in the last episode. Miranda, who is high strong and finally realizes that Steve is the man she loves. Charlotte, a "goody good" who ends up with someone quite unexpected and gets her baby. And then there is Samantha, who just loves sex, and her friends. Each episode we get to learn something new about the women and who they are and what they want. Definitely for women. My mom and I love this show. I own all the seasons and the movie.
  • The show that saved my life

The humor, the drama, the LOVE! I can't believe how they could take one book and make it into a fantastic series.

The four girls, Carrie, Samantha, Miranda and Charlotte and extremely witty. Now this show is not AT all for young ones but for those who can understand the jokes will laugh until their in tears. Did I mention that they pick some of the hottest actors to play the men?

If you don't have HBO your not missing out on too much. Just the bad words but whatever. This is a show for those who have a great sense in humor and love sex AND the city!
  • Neither daring, sexy or interesting. The characters were flat and uninspiring. Its view of gender was plastic, old fashioned and execrable.

It was neither daring, sexy or interesting. The characters were flat and uninspiring. The topics were insulting, not just to women, to all humans. I don't mean the sex, I mean all the whining. I don't care how liberal they talked about sex when the concept was to imprison women into a stereotype that belives that the answer to their problems is solved if they just spent a month's rent on a pair of designer shoes. That it was advertised as a show about strong independent women made it worse. Its view of gender was plastic, old fashioned and execrable.
  • June 6, 1998 - February 22, 2004. Movie released May 30, 2008.

Carrie Bradshaw writes a column about sex and relationships in New York city. With three of her closest friends: Samantha Jones, who owns her own PR firm and is more interested in exciting "one-nighters" than long-term relationships; Miranda Hobbes, a cynical lawyer who prioritizes her career over her erratic lovelife, and Charlotte York, an art gallery curator who is a bit prudish when it comes to sex, but hasn't yet lost her faith in finding true love.

Samantha is probably my favorite, with Carrie as a close second. I love Samantha's wittiness and body. =] Sarah Jessica Parker can also be pretty hot. My 3rd favorite is Charlotte, and Miranda is my least favorite. I found her so annoying on the show, but was OK in the movie. R.I.P. SATC! =] The movie was also incredible. =] I just felt bad for Smith.
  • its great

As when i was younger this wasn't really the best show fro me to see, i still watched it and loved it. My favourite character would have to be Samantha as she is so sex crazed and i love her really funny jokes about men. Carrie is ok but she has a few funny things she has to say about men that are really interesting. Charlotte another of my favourites is os wanting to have a perfect relationship when that would never be possible, she is like the complete oppisite of Samantha. Miranda doesn't really interest me in the series, the only thing was that she had a child. All around though it can a percieved as many different things, ithink of it as a n ok sow too watch.
  • I love Sex and the city show and movie!!!

Sarah Jessica Parker wasen't one of my favorite actress's, but once I started watching the show. I loved her. I never really watched any of her movies. From being a huge fan of Sex and the city. I think she's fabulous. A great actress and seems real sweet in the real world. From her cute elfits to Mr Big. Who could not be a fan. All of these great women are so talented. This show helped me with dating and myself. I learned basically what not to do with guys. Alot better than I started off. Plus it's just a great show for the chica's. My favorite character is Charlotte she's cute and is so positive about love and life. It reminds me of me. I'm a romantic myself. But i love all the other ladiesas well. The movie was so good i could watch it over and over again. I Really think Carrie's character is unique cause all the girls go to her for advice. There all close and always there for eachother. Thats great to have in life because most people barely can find one good friend. I would love for that anyday. Sex and the city is one of the best shows around. #1 fan, Winny look alike
  • This is the show I will stay up for hours after my "bedtime" to watch!

Everynight after I tuck my kids into their beds and call my hard working husband and tell him that I hope he has a good night at work I make some snacks, maybe pop some popcorn and get a cozy spot to sit and watch my favorite "girly show". Even if I am so tired and need to go to sleep I will set my alarm to 12:00 am (that's when it airs at my home) so I won't miss it! It is seriously that good. It is the kinda entertainment a mom, wife, and woman needs sometimes to have a little "innocent fun". ;)

It is a good show and gets better in the later seasons, seriously! Love it.
  • Sex and the City is like the bible for women and most gay men. I would say that it was "absolutely fabulous" but my boyfriend would say that i porn for woman!!!!!!!!!

I aboluutely love Sex and the City, who doesn't? I love all the fashion, the quotes and most of all the girls. Carrie, Samantha, Marandia and Charlotte remind me of my three friends and I. I just hope we're till a good friend as they are 20 years down the line!

Sex and the City to me is a bit of a boost as i was the shy type and when i started to watch it, it made me re-think my life. It made me laugh at sex and not to take it as serious! I think the program had an amazing story line and humour behind it, my boyfrind thinks its porn for woman!

All the girl are strong and independant and thts the type of role model i was looking for and its so true what Carrie says in the last episode, Relationships "There are those that open you up to something new and exotic, those that are old and familiar, and those that bring up lots of questions, those that bring you somewhere unexpected, those that bring you far from where you started, and those that bring you back. But the most exciting, challenging and significant relationship of all is the one you have with yourself. And if you can find someone to love the you, you love, well, that's just fabulous"!
  • SO GREAT!

I have seen every single episode of every single season from when it aired on HBO. At the time, Sex in the City was one of the two reasons why I paid extra for HBO. The other reason was the Sopranos. My ex-boyfriend bought me the first three seasons on DVD as a present. I still plan to complete my collection. Just recently saw the movie in the theater, and it was just as good as the show, if not better. Very funny. Various emotions actually. Well written and well acted. So realistic. So Sex in the City. I hope there will be a sequel!
  • Hidden at the end of season 6 is about all we need to know re:Carrie. Her father left (she doesn't know why) when she was 5; she's not seen/heard from him since. As a therapist, that's enough to screw up a kid without therapy. Way bigger than "Big"

2.7
    Carrie's abandonment by her father when she was 5, not seeing or hearing from him since (or knowing why he left) will mess up a girl re: males for life. This is way way bigger than Mr. Big. How does a little girl, standing looking up at her father view him? Big. This was dropped in the series and writers shouldn't do that. Not fair to put out critical information and then use the character as a result of it. Sad, really. We're watching major dysfunctional for sensationalistic purposes. Do father matter? I guess not. But that is a lie just as mothers do count and the effects are long-lasting.
  • A sitcom surrounding four New York City girls,Carrie,Charlotte,Samantha and Miranda and their complicated lives and many love interests.Deals with relationships and best friend bothers.

I love "Sex and the City" because it's such an original show with such a strong feminine theme and shows how important friends are.It deals with the right amount of comedy,love,friendship and serious topics to make it really enjoyable and entertaining.I think this was the start of a lot of women's fascinations with labels such as Manolo Blahniks,Jimmy Choo etc.The writers did a great job with choosing the perfect setting and personalities for each character.Creating such diverse and opposite characters yet making them so close is a truly brilliant and lifelike idea.The storylines are brilliant and so relevant to real life situations but my only problem with this show is the amount of graphic scenes.I don't think there's a need for it all.It is such a brilliant show it could easily get away with being less graphic and leaving a little to the imagination.
  • LOVE IT!!!

Since I was old enough to watch it, I did, because it was the greatest series on TV ever. I loved the looks, the dialouges (sometimes so funny, but other times so emotional), this powerful ladies and the sweet guys. Here in Germany a few weeks ago it was aired 6 Pm, and some stupid people get worked up, because it was to early for "such" a show and now they don't repeat the show anymore and I have only season 6 on dvd, so sad!I can't understand how someone doesn't like this series. Now they even made a movie out of it. And I've gotta say it's a great finish to it (but maybe they're are making a 2nd movie, that would be really great)
  • Eventually I loved this show!

I started watching Sex and the City, just because I was told that it was a great show to watch. I have to be honest and say that I didn't like very much the first three seasons. But from the fouth season I loved it. It is definitely an original show: the story and the characters were kind of new on the screen, and I think that's why it became one of most popular show ever. Sex and the City talks about every single relationship problem you can think about, and even if not always there is a solution to those problems, the way they talk about them makes you feel that you're not alone. The four best friends become your best friends, and you laugh and cry with them, you're happy or sad and angry or enthusistic the same way they are. Excellent show that will remain a classic.
  • 4 beautiful women, half soap opera, half sitcom, and shot in New York City, THE greatest city in the world!!! You have one of the greatest shows of all time.

HBO has a knack for making the greatest television shows of all time. Sex And The City is on the top of that list. Carrie, Miranda, Charlotte, and Samantha have become such wonderful chracters for all of us. Strong, funny, successful women looking for love. The show is written to be funny and dramatic every episode which is very rare for a 30 minute sitcom. The dialogue is also very amazing because it was so honest about sex from all 4 ladies. Deep down they were on a pursuit of love and happiness. Most of us guys all want someone like Carrie and the ladies all want someone like Mr. Big. Sex And The City rocks!
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7