Sex and the City

• Sex real and the city

[ ]

and

[ ]
  • At a thirty-something birthday party the girls decide to stop looking for Mr Perfect and start having sex like men. Carrie meets Mr. Big. Miranda starts dating Skipper. Charlotte has a date with Capote Duncan, who ends up going home with Samantha.

As an episode by itself, this isn't the most fabulous piece of television I have ever seen. The thing is, since 1998, so many series have evolved that mirror the content of Sex and the City, so watching this episode, now thirteen years later, it seems somewhat dated. However, we must remember, at the time, that there was nothing else on television quite like it. What this episode does do well is that it sets the tone for the episodes to follow. A lot of the shows staple ingredients are already in place. The city itself looks fabulous from the opening credits to the final scene, we are treated to wonderful scenes of New York City. The four girls chatting is also featured in this episode and continued throughout the shows entire run. Of course the Carrie and Big relationship is introduced here too, which is one of the most exciting things about this episode. Of course there are many faults, this IS the pilot after all. The English Elizabeth, has an Australian accent. I hate the direct talking to the camera. I find it distracting, and it makes me feel like I'm an observer looking in. I don't want to be an observer, I want to be there, with the girls as part of the action. I am glad that the production team saw the light and gave up on this. I also feel at this stage the production team are making a feeble attempt to appeal to a wider audience. Those hideous 'interviews' with all those toxic bachelors, I just don't get it. Are they trying to show the male point of view? Or are they using the fact that all these men are such total idiots, to justify the derogatory comments? It's not clear this moment in time, it's slightly ambiguous and it leaves me with the feeling that they haven't been as brave as they could have been. The four women come across as somewhat watered down versions of themselves, and they seem quite stereotypical in their appearances and their attitudes. Samantha looks and sounds like a sex mad woman, Charlotte looks like Miss Perfect Park Avenue, and sounds like a romantic, Miranda is the angry one, who dresses like a man, and Carrie is the one who doesn't really know who she is yet. I don't just feel that SJP the actress is acting, I feel like Carrie the character is acting most of the time. That's why I love the scene in the restaurant with Stanford. Carrie chats to him about nothing significant, but I feel it's the first time that we get to see the real Carrie. Full credit here to Willie Carson, he has absolutely nailed Stanford straight (pardon the pun) away. He is cute, funny and utterly adorable. I find myself screaming at the television...I want one of those. I don't feel this lack of characterisation is anything to do with SJP's acting skills. I think that she also has nailed Carrie, pretty early on. The audience isn't meant to figure out who Carrie is right away because even Carrie doesn't know who she is yet. I think that we are meant to find Carrie slightly irritating at times, we are meant to see that she isn't the perfect woman, but we are supposed to love her anyway. Carrie has some great lines in the opening scene. I love it when she says "Welcome to the age of un-innocence. No-one has Breakfast at Tiffany's and no-one has affairs to remember. Instead we have breakfast at 7am and affairs we try to forget as soon as possible". It's real and honest, no gloss or frosting here. She is also quite brutal when she wonders if no-one had told Elizabeth about "the end of love in Manhattan." Ouch!! She then asks us (albeit in the irritating talking right to the camera way) "How did we get into this mess?" Right from this pilot episode Ms. Bradshaw is there, questioning everybody and everything. It's great. I love it. The danger of this is that Carrie could appear to some as cynical. Not an attractive quality. But real nonetheless. I don't think Carrie is cynical. I think she is the ultimate optimist. Hanging on to the notion that 'love' really may conquer all. I use the term 'love' in the commas, because I think that Ms. Bradshaw, like so many of us, has her own version of love. But she believes that anything is possible. I get that right from the start. I see how vulnerable Carrie is in this very first episode. Not that she can't defend herself against the mean streets, or the big bad city, kind of vulnerable, but emotionally. This is illustrated perfectly by Darren Star in this first episode. After sleeping with Kurt , described by Stanford as "The loathe of your life", Carrie leaves his apartment feeling potent, powerful and alive. She boasts to us whilst on the phone to Charlotte that her afternoon of cheap and easy sex felt good. However, when she runs into Kurt at 'Chaos' and he tells her how much he likes the 'new Carrie', she ends up confused and wondering, "Do all men secretly want their women promiscuous?" She also wonders, if she was having sex like a man , with no feelings, then why didn't she feel more in control? A question we best leave to Mr Big to answer on the way home I think.

If anything makes me want to watch the next episode, it's this man. Chris Noth has perfected the art of playing Mr Big so early on that it scares me, I actually think he IS Big. I love the way the car pulls up and he says "Well get in for Christ's sake", with that saucy look on his face. He then asks Carrie what she does for work and the two of them begin this little conversation 'dance'. The trouble for Carrie here is that she knows the steps well enough, but she is dancing with a far superior partner. He not only outwits her, but he manages to see straight through her, right to her core. She starts to feel about two feet tall, with each response that Big gives her. I love the fact that Big sums up perfectly in one very short sentence, what would have taken Carrie three sides of A4 and 3 packs of Marlboro lights to figure out. He says to Carrie after hearing that she is writing an article about women who have sex like men: "But you're not like that". Of course what makes it even worse is that when Carrie asks him "well aren't you?", he replies, "Not a drop, not even half a drop". So not only has he read her perfectly, she has read him all wrong. She then digs herself even further by saying "Oh yeah!?" To which Big replies "Oh I get it, you've never been in love". Ouch...that's got to hurt a bit. Now don't get me wrong, I am not condoning men who talk down to women, or men who put women down, that would just be insane. However, there is something about the way Big makes these statements that makes me believe that they are absolutely true. Carrie herself acknowledges this by claiming to feel like she has had the wind knocked out of her. She says that she just wants to crawl right under the covers and go right to sleep. Can't say I blame her. If I was her I'd want to do exactly the same. Right from this moment we get the feeling that Carrie has met someone who is not only her equal, maybe even her 'better half', but possibly the next 'Big' thing in her life. Who wouldn't be seduced by a man who can look at you and see past all the questions, all the talking and right into your very soul?

Of course the line of the episode has to go to Big. When Carrie gets out the car and thinks about it, she rushes back and asks Big the inevitable question: "Have you ever been in love?", and Big replies with that smoldering, sexy, cheeky little look on his face, "Abso-......-lutely" . One of the best last lines of an episode on television ever.
  • Not blown away

7.3
    I got the shoe box set of this series a long time ago and had to watch the pilot a few times before I was really motivated to continue watching the series.

I am glad that I ended up watching the whole series but I feel that as a pilot to the series, this episode is not all that strong.

I don't know if its just me but on the DVD the picture is really dark and its actually really hard to even see whats going on?!!?

Anyway, as I said above, I wasn't blown away by the first episode of the show but the show does get amazing so stick with it!!
  • Well it's nice for a pilot

For someone, i.e me, who's watching the series after they're already over, I know that the episodes are going to get much much better. But I don't think that the viewers who watched the episodes from the first time they aired were really enthralled by this episode. It hasn't obtained that trend-starting attitude yet. They all just seem a bit unwell-kept if I might say. Thank God I know what's going to happen (because of spoilers of course) or else I would have been already bored out of my mind... well I'm exaggerating, but still I still would have been bored. Looking forward to watching the next ep.
  • Season 1, Episode 1.

This episode was an amazing premiere. The chemistry between Carrie and Mr. Big is amazing, and it's only the first episode. The show is shot in 16 mm, which isn't too great, but it is changed for season two. Carrie's friends, Miranda, Charlotte, and Samantha are incredible. Samantha hits on Mr. Big, but he isn't into her. Charlotte's date, Capote Duncan, goes to a club called Chaos so he can get laid, after Charlotte tells him she must wake up early the next morning. It was hilarious when Capote brought Samantha home with him. Miranda is set up with Skipper, and she is hilarious when they are on their date. This episode is just the beginning to an amazing, classic phenomenon.
  • The pilot episode of Sex and the City shows how well-structured and compelling the storylines have remained from the start in order to create one of the most successful television series ever made.

The pilot episode of Sex and the City shows how well-structured and compelling the storylines have persisted throughout to create one of the most successful television series ever made.

Carrie Bradshaw opens narrating third-person every woman's idealistic dream of their perfect relationships; she describes a British writer in Manhatten that falls in love with an American man. Every polished aspect falls into place to secure an overly-comforting aura which inevitably, like dreams, shatters like a window looking through into reality.

Bradshaw continues to introduce what connotations "reality" really refers to in modern-day Manhatten. A clever technique is used when she asks: "How the hell did we get into this mess?": genders are automatically severed into two tribes that are described almost as if in battle: Women are innocent and possess unity, whereas men are the 'issue'.

As depicted, every individual seems to 'know' the scenario too well and offers imperative accounts on what the problems are surrounding love in Manhatten. Interestingly all of these bold statements conflict to reveal no winners and only losers fighting for love.

Five minutes into the episode the four now famous characters are introduced: Carrie, Charlotte, Samantha and Miranda discuss the ways in which each believes men and women should act before and during a relationship. Discussion soon turns into a dispute over tactics at the round table.
  • Good Start

7.6
    I remember watching this when it first premiered back in the day and when I watch it now I feel the same way about it. It makes me want to watch more. Sure the talking to the camera bit is way tired, even then, and the overexcessive narration that persists through the entire first season is a bit to much, but the appeal of the show is still the same. I'm not sure which of the girls I like the best, but in this episode the writers def. lay down the groundwork for what each character is like. Actually I think the only really bad thing about this is Carrie's hair. It's just not so great at all, but this is a good pilot and enough to get any woman curious for more.
  • Review

I thought that this was a pretty solid episode for a pilot. The connection between Mr. Big and Carrie should be a good way for the lead actress to start off with her first relationship on the show. It seems that all these girls are thirty something single women. Charlotte seems to be the outsider of the group, not willing to partake in the other girls decision to start having casual sex. Charlotte seems to be the girl that needs it to be something specail and intemate between two people, which clearly does not fit into the other three girls way of thinkign. Miranda and Skipper dont have a very solid on screen connection, I hope that ends soon. Charlotte and Duncan have an interetsing connection, but it seems that relationship wont / didnt last more then an episode. Overall very good start to the series.
  • The pilot episode of Sex And The City.

In my opinion, the pilot episode of Sex And The City was pretty good, but the show definitely needed some fine tuning at this point, and having watched every episode of Sex And The City on DVD at least once, I can definitely say that the show improved remarkably over the years. The one thing that I hated most about the show at first was the docmuentary style that they used in the earlier episodes and how Carrie would talk to the camera at times. Both of those things just didn't work well for the show, and they were just weird. I'm glad that they stop doing those two things after a while. Other than that, the pilot episode was pretty good, and you can tell that most of the roles were very well cast right from the start. Everyone did a pretty good job, but I have to say I've never liked Carrie as much as the other characters. I thought that Kim Catrall did an especially good job playing Samantha in the pilot. The pilot itself was very interesting, and all in all, it was a pretty good episode. The show just needed some fine tuning.
  • Beginning of an ERA!

6.6
    The pilot was satifactory like any pilot, because only very few shows are able to make a successful pilot like Lost, but then when the second season roles in they are unable to maintain the show.

Anyway, back to sex and the city: We are introduced to the four main characters who have different tastes in men, clothes, careers, lives, sex but still maintain healthy friendships.

Mr Big makes an apperance and he will contiue to be a thorn in my side for six years.

Overall, a great pilot opener which helped pave the way for what was to come.
  • Carrie decides to have sex like a man, and meets Mr. Big; Charlotte dates a toxic bachelor, who ends up bedding Samantha; Miranda goes on a blind date with Carrie' friend Skipper; she doesn't like him, but he loves her. The comedy, or lack thereof, ensues

The pilot episode of Sex and the City is bad. Let's face it. Sure, when compared with most other shows, it bodes fairly well. But in the world of Sex, I beg to know what Darren Star was trying to make.

The episode is good if only for the fact that it introduces the characters, and defines each one very well. We know that Carrie is the star, and that Mr. Big is bound to return; we know that Miranda is a cynic; we know that Charlotte is a romantic; we know that Samantha is the queen slut (and I say that endearingly).

But this episode introduces too many supporting characters, and it was hard to know who would be sticking around and who was just there for the one episode, not a very good thing for a pilot.

A pilot should focus on the key players, and introduce the show's motives. And, to some extent, that was done. The show's motives are obviously just to make you laugh, and I chuckled once or twice, but it chould have been made much funnier.

The ending was brilliant though.