Sex and the City

The Ick Factor

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Jan 11, 2004 on HBO

• Carrie find that she cannot stomach overly romantic guestures and Samantha finds out something rather worrying when she goes for a consultation for breast implants.

I love this ep, the fact that Carrie is being whisked off her feet and being given so many romantic gifts and what have you, that she finds that although grateful, she cannot take that amount of romance. Which leads her questioning if what she thought in her head about being treated romantically and in reality; does that mean there is something wrong with her? Evidently not, since she does manage to get her man to relax with the romance, by fainting on the way to the theatre. Meanwhile Samantha has other problems, like learning that she is infact ill and needs treatment as soon as.
    Then you also have Miranda's wedding, which has some funny moments; with Miranda telling Samantha that she expected better of her; only for her quote to come back to haunt her at the end of the ep.
    I find this a special ep just because of what is in it, the fact that some women cannot stand overly romantic guestures, even though they thought they would have; another not being overly worried about her big day, and what happens when you learn that you are sick, but never expected it.
  • Alexsandr plays a song for Carrie, Miranda and Steve tie the knot, Samantha learns of some bad news.

This episode was so great! It is perfect! There's so much going on... The relationship between Carrie and Alexsandr gets very serious and stronger, Miranda and Steve decide to get married, and when Samantha wants to get work done on her breasts, the doctor discovers a lump. It was breast cancer. This episode was just so dramatic to watch. I enjoyed watching it, but I feel a little bad for Samantha, though... I still can not believe she has breast cancer. It was very upsetting. However, the plots were very good. This episode is only one of the ninety-four great episodes of Sex And The City.

• one of the best

i think this is one of the best episodes
    the storyline with carrie and alex is hilarious,love the bit where she "faints" outside the oprea.
    harry and charlotte trying to bring some romance to their realationship is classic.who hasnt done that,and when does it usually work out as planned!but the two of them lying on the bathroom floor together after their loooong nite,well thats love!
    and miranda and steve,who would have thought that miranda would ever get married,love changes all.i was so happy when they got married that i cried!
    samantha getting cancer was the saddest thing ever,she was so brave,i love that they kept her the same and didnt turn her into a emotional wreck.
    that scene at the end was abolutley beautiful,everytime i see it i still cry my eyes out.
  • Poignancy -- not just between male & female characters, but between the women; Poignancy is very real and genuine and just gosh darn nice; makes guys jealous that they aren't like that.

First, a confession: I've seen only two or three episodes. Nevetheless, what I am about to say I think has merit. It is likely, afterall, that those "repeats" that they choose to air are good ones. Secondly, I'm a guy and I agreed whole-heartedly with a female reviewer. I quote her here -- but left out the content (what happens stuff):

"This is one of the best shows that the Sex and the City cast and crew ever put together. There are so many poignent events happening all at one time ... This episode deals with all of these issues with poignacy and deep emotion."

That's what I loved about the episode -- poignant is the key word. But not sappily done poignancy. Not even poignant to the typical oblivious guy, but poignancy of the kind that is real to one who can notice such things. And the poignancy is not just what happens or between the males & females. Get ready for a real blow-you away confession: the poignancy is such that it makes me jealous of not being a girl -- the poignancy of how they relate to each other. Gosh that's great. Something we guys are really missing out on, I'll tell ya. Probably why I like Gilmore Girls too. But no this "feminine side" of me is not indicative of being gay -- I just think it's really great how the gals relate to each other (and it's not ALL sap; humor too -- but in a nice way.)

Incidentally, I never stop a DVD to hear director's commentary before finishing the movie. But, there was one exception: in "Little Women" when the one character after being nearly deathly sick sees the piano the neighbors gave her and her eyes well up with tears. That was the best performance without dialogue -- bar none -- ever put on film. I said, "wait, I'm not like imagining this; what's on the director's commentary track?" Well the director said there was not a dry eye anywhere -- male or female, cast or crew, and she was praying the focus puller didn't screw up because there would never be another performance like that again. So kudo's to me for recognizing good stuff. That was my evidence along with agreeing with the female reviewer. The key words for this episode then are poignancy and real. If you're into ONLY what happens, you may miss it (even though this episode does have much happening), but what's good about this episode is the real and poignant relationships between the women.

If you'll indulge me for one other piece of advice, since I gave you best dialogue-less performance on film above, the best "dialogue" without being on-screen (technically this would be voice-over monologue) is in The Good Mother. Dianne Keaton should teach voice over to every actor and actress. (Winnona Ryder is desparate need of such lessons, incidentally.)
  • nice..alot of things happened in tehis episode. It was intesting and they dealed with many topics in this episode. Carrie finally started to get over her overly romantic boyfriend. Charoltte got food poisoning. Samantha considered a boob job to realise sh

nice..alot of things happened in tehis episode. It was intesting and they dealed with many topics in this episode. Carrie finally started to get over her overly romantic boyfriend. Charoltte got food poisoning. Samantha considered a boob job to realise she has cancer and miranda decided to tie the knot. Phew thats alot of stuff for one episode ahah so it was INTERESTING
  • This is one of the best shows that the Sex and the City cast and crew ever put together

This is one of the best shows that the Sex and the City cast and crew ever put together. There are so many poignent events happening all at one time. Samantha discovering that she has breast cancer, Miranda and Steve are getting married, Harry and Charlotte cementing their relationship through sickness. You know that it is a true relationship when you can last through a night of food poisoning together. Carrie and Petrovsky's relationship continues to grow and flourish. He is a romantic to the core, reciting poetry and playing Carrie songs on his piano, while Carrie is the modern realist, and doesn't know how to interpret these gestures. This episode deals with all of these issues with poignacy and deep emotion.