A Shadowhunters Community
Monday 8:00 PM on Freeform

Hot on the heels of the news that the award-winning drama Switched at Birth will be ending this summer, Freeform has announced that it has picked up the supernatural drama series Shadowhunters for a second season. The news was announced Monday via a Facebook live chat, which feels very on-point for the young-adult-oriented network.

The series, which struggled to impress critics when it debuted in January (its Metascore is just 45), drew 2.9 million total viewers in its premiere. According to Freeform, it was the network's second-best series launch on record among adults 18-to-49 with 1.6 million viewers. It was also the network's highest-rated premiere for males under 50.

Based on Cassandra Clare's popular young adult series The Mortal Instruments, the show stars Katherine McNamara as Clary, a young woman who finds out on her 18th birthday that she's actually a Shadowhunter, a human-angel hybrid whose primary purpose is to protect humans and keep the demons and the other creatures of darkness in check. When her mother is kidnapped, she's thrown into this new world alongside fellow Shadowhunters Jace (Dominic Sherwood), Alec (Matthew Daddario), and Isabelle (Emeraude Toubia), her best friend Simon (Alberto Rosende), and the warlock Magnus Bane (Harry Shum, Jr.). Isaiah MustafaAlan Van Sprang, and Maxim Roy also star.

thekaitling:list:shadowhunters-are-you-excited-for-season-2/

Are you excited for more Shadowhunters? Or do you think this is a mistake?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 1/16/2017

Season 2 : Episode 3

Next Episode

AIRS ON 1/23/2017

Season 2 : Episode 4

17 Comments
Comments (17)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
yes I totally enjoyed the first season completely. At least its not that bull-crap reality TV. It may be based on the books but nothing like them. Keep it going. Its intriguing to see where they can take the concept of the books.
Flag
Since they have money to waste...
Flag
Yes ! the first 2 ep were just ok, but after that it got really good. I enjoy this show and I'm glad there will be a 2nd season.
Flag
Damn, now I have to keep watching through a second season. I really, really hope it gets better. I definitely have some hope left, and I actually like Simon and Alec, but all in all I can't say I'm enjoying the show.
Flag
I'm happy. I truly enjoy this show, and Harry Shum Jr. as Magnus Bane is a highlight for me.
Flag
Whew! Now that Shannara is over, this is my top hate watching show. Horrible dialogue, wooden acting, Jace is just horrible, and the Lightwood parents are completely meh. Harry Shum Jr. as Magnus Bane is the only bright spot on the show.
Flag
I don't love it but I like it enough to keep watching.
Flag
I'm really surprised this is renewed. It's a strange show - I have come to like all the supporting characters, but the actress who plays Clary is one of the least convincing I have ever seen, and I watch a lot of tv. I would much rather watch a show about Alec, Isobelle, Magnus and Simon than Jace and Clary, who are supposed to be this amazing love story. I enjoyed the books, but...hopefully the two leads will improve with time.
Flag
I honestly love this show. The beginning was very rough, but the show improved drastically around episode 5. I have no doubt everything will continue to improve in Season 2.
Flag
This is surprising. But, I imagine when someone invests a lot of money into Property-X they're not going to admit defeat after 1 year.

I'm not saying the show is bad, but it's not that great. Particularly, some of the actors' abilities are either sub-par or they just can't make some of that dialog work.

The overall plot is alright, as I'm familiar-enough with the source material that I think the overall show COULD be interesting. But I'm just not seeing that here.
Flag
Yay I love this show.
Flag
I watch this show weekly because I loved the books and it's easy to watch. That being said, I'm shocked they renewed it! It's pretty bad. Like, every week I think "I should just give up on this mess." The acting is bad (with the exception of Magnus, because he's actually pretty good!), the direction isn't stellar, the writing is not so good, and they've changed so much from the books that my head is spinning. And not anything that you could explain away with "Well, they're adapting the story for TV, so things need to change". That doesn't explain why Hodge, who was basically a middle-aged librarian in the books, is suddenly a young, hot, muscular warrior. And don't say it's because it's on ABC Family and they wanted all hot people - that's just silly. It's just a really bad show, and I kept watching every week because I thought it had no chance at renewal and I could labor through each episode just to say I tried. Ugh.
Flag
"This announcement was made via Facebook, naturally."

Like, don't they know Facebook is over ten years old? Snapchat is totes where it's at!
Flag
McNamara and Toubia's combined gorgeousness isn't even enough to save this hot mess.

Seriously. The show is the worst written and acted garbage I've ever seen. What a waste of some potentially good actors (McNamara was alright on Happyland and decent in her cameo on The Grinder, and Shum is welcome on any show I watch).
Flag
Never seen a minute of the show, but the girl looks adorable. Long live Shadowrunners!
Flag
ugh i lasted 5minutes before i turned it off
Flag
Follow this Show
Members