Shadowhunters

Monday 8:00 PM on Freeform Premiered Jan 12, 2016 In Season

Shadowhunters Fan Reviews (53)

7.2
  • best tv show ever

so entertaining, if it had been exactly like the books it would be boring at all.
  • Great upgrade in season 2

Season 2 is just great! If you didn't liked season 1 for any reason, you would definitely like the new season. The acting has improved, so has the visual appeal. The show is more mature and dark, which is a plus! Also there's constant action that makes it hard to wait for the next episode.
  • Bad bad bad

I've read the books several times and while there were changes in the story for the movie, at least the Clary and Jace actors were well-suited for the characters and their acting was good. The TV show, on the other hand, is beyond terrible and it seems like talent was not a requirement when hiring for Clary and Jace. Auditions likely included pretending to be out of breathe while saying every line and the actors who could do it the longest we're hired. The special effects are super low budget and it looks like every show was shot in the same warehouse. Rewriting the stories just makes everything that much worse. If there is a positive to be said about this lame mess, it's that the Alex and Isabel actors are decent and it's a shame they couldn't find similar talent for the rest of the cast.
  • I can't descibe it. It's complicated.

Okay. I started reading the books and stopped after the second one because I couldn't care to buy another one.

When the movie came out, I hated it with a burning passion.

The TV show however, I can't really decide.

I was taken aback by how horrible the script of the first episode was and I kind of hated and still don't like how Clary and Jayce are portrayed. Maybe this is a little connected to Clary being annoying as she is in the books, but everytime she came on screen and spoke to literally anyone I just groaned.

The supporting cast really saves the show, I love Alec and Isabella and Magnus has a special place in my heart.

It does get better and more interesting, and I do have some hope for season 2.

Even if I don't have praise for it, I somehow still watch it and I regret nothing.

It's honestly so funny to complain about the cringyness of some moments and I mean, what's there to lose except for some time and nerves?
  • Horrible

I love the books, but honestly the tv show or the movie, the movie all the way. Yes the movie had some scenes that weren't as accurate as the books like when Clary left with the mortal cup at the end of the movie, but the tv show was all over the place. First off magnus and Alec weren't supposed to be together at all or have people know until the third book. Second the women who was sent to investigate is supposed to be Jace's grandmother, third well Jocelyn is supposed to be a painter not own an antique shop, luke is supposed to own a book store not become a cop. The institute is supposed to be pretty much empty not look like technology central. Just the movie yes it was wrong on some parts, but compared to the TV show it was a ten. Plus the actors in the television show absolutely suck! If you are going to make a tv show about a book series at least have enough common sense to follow the story line and not change basically everything in regards to it. they should have done the city of ashes movie like they said they were going to months after they made city of bones, not a bloody tv show that is sickening to watch. First few episodes and you know the people who watch didn't read the books and the people who did and find it great are obviously idiots or paid absolutely no attention to the books what so ever.
  • No good

Ive always loved the story line but the series acting was pretty awful. All Clary Fray did was cry and whine about Simon and her mother, begging Jase to do what she wanted everytime. Didn't matter what any of the other shadow hunters thought. She came off as demanding and annoying and jase as a bitch that can't say no.
  • Sparkly and Spectacular Shadowhunters

I was a fan of the books and I was honestly disappointed with the movie. For a start, it ended with Clary and the other good guys having the Mortal Cup when Valentine was supposed to get away with it. The show held so much more suspense and made the characters a lot more likable.

They portrayed everyone's personality correctly - Isabelle was very comfortable with her body and was definitely not afraid to show it, as in the books. Alec was very much against Clary and it showed that by the end of the season they had at least a respect for each other. Jace was arrogant and had quite a few one-liners but he also showed emotion. Clary was a whiny, selfish girl which is how she was written so I don't see how people can complain. Simon was a clear friend to Clary and it also showed that he liked her more than a friend without him just blurting it out. Valentine is clearly sadistic and unhinged, with his constant experimentations on people using different types of Downworld blood. Magnus is portrayed correctly, very flamboyant but also caring no matter how much he tries to hide it.

Then it followed the majority of the actual plot with only a few changes added in. It starts off with Clary trying to get into art school then meeting up with Simon who instantly offers to complain if she failed. She then goes home and gets given a stele, revealing the signs of her Sight coming back to her mother. She ignores her mom's warnings and goes out for a drink, revealing the Shadowworld to her. She thinks she's going crazy (as you would) and tries to leave, retrieving a fragment of her memory from bumping into someone. She goes home, followed by vicious, rogue Shadowhunters and has Warlocks revealed to her. The series carries on from there, a young, confused and selfish girl trying to find her Mom, one of the only people she's ever had there for her. Along the way she falls in love with someone, though it's revealed later on that they are related which causes them to drift apart.

It's all shown very well, and it ends with the antagonist holding the weapon and the good guys with only hope.

All in all, I'm glad it's been renewed for a second season as it is very thought out (as it won the best new fandom award this has been shown) and the cast is spectacular.
  • Awesome

I loved The to series. At first I got confused because it was different from the movie but then I realised that they mixed up the books in one season. Once you read all the books or even half of them you'll understand everything. I would LOVE to see SEASON 2!!!!!!
  • Trash

I was so excited to see the Mortal Instruments series revamped as a tv show because I've been dying for the movie sequel since I first saw City of Bones. From the very first episode however I had reservations. While Hodge, Clary, Simon, and Jace are well cast (although Jace in the show is not like he is in the books.... too emotional and not snarky enough), the casting of the Lightwood siblings is bad. The way Isabelle is portrayed makes her come across as trashy and I'm sorry, but Matthew Daddario cannot act his way out of a paper bag, let alone bring any depth to an angsty and conflicted character like Alec. Every single time he is on screen his performance is very one note and forced, like he has no desire to be doing this role. I also don't understand the random casting of just because you needed a multi-racial cast? I honestly don't care about his race, but if all the other Shadowhunters are white, and Luke was a Shadowhunter, why was he cast different? If they needed to do mutliracial, then cast some of the vampires or werewolves differently. It would be like casting the Lothlorien Elves for Lord of the Rings as all tall, blond, white guys with a random Asian man thrown in for the heck of it. It doesn't make sense. I have no problem with the cast being multiracial, but make the cast fit the story. And also, why Luke a cop? Aside from the casting/character changes, I have an issue with the Institute itself and the fact that it looks like the briefing room from NCIS LA. And correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the Lightwoods (including Jace) and Hodge the only ones there in the book?

Also wrong is that they are bringing in too many characters too quickly and making mention of things that don't show up until the later books of the series. Also, they are just making stuff up. Camille has NOTHING to do with what happened to Simon. That whole mess with Lydia and Alec and would have happened. I honestly can't see Magnus moping after Alec like that either. And the alternate dimension? Honestly? Absolute crap. I stopped watching after episode 12 because the wedding thing was so offensive on so many levels.

I had such high hopes for the series and was so excited to see the books brought to life. The movie was so well cast and Jamie was the perfect Jace. They stuck so close to the book and really only changed a few minor things, like the battle site. It was heartbreaking when they had such issues getting the sequel up and running so when the reboot as a tv sereis came, I was so happy. I should have known better. The writers for this show have taken the source material and crapped all over it. Any fan of the books will tell you the same thing. This is honestly the worst book to screen adaptation of any book I have ever seen. And that includes Eragon. If I could give this series a negative rating I would. It is NOT worth your time.
  • AMAZING

I love fantsay and this is my #1 favorite
  • I have not seen more BS in 15 minutes than this

What a bunch of crap. Stopped watching after 15 minutes and I am someone who will watch anything remotely scifi or fantasy.

How do I select 0?

Please donate money to Syrian refugees instead. kthxbye
  • Amazing Series

Shadowhunters is a very exciting show. The show is currently on episode 8. Shadowhunters is shown every Tuesday at 8 o'clock in the United States only. It is on Netflix the day after it is shown in the US for those who live in other countries. Shadowhunters is shown on the tv channel formerly known as ABC Family, but has now changed their name to Freeform. Ed Decter is the showrunner and McG is the executive producer.

This series starts off with main character, Clarissa Fray. She believes that she is a normal girl, but on her 18th birthday everything changes. Clary is an aspiring art student who lives in a normal Brooklyn apartment with her mother, Jocelyn. On her 18th birthday she goes out with her best friend, Simon Lewis. While they are out partying, Clary sees a peculiar scene. That's all I can say without spoiling the show.

Dominic Sherwood is by far my favorite actor in this show. He is most known for his part as Christian Ozera in Vampire Academy and as the strange, mystery guy in Taylor Swift's Style video. Dominic or Dom plays Jace Wayland. He is 26 years old and is dating Sarah Hyland, so girls he is not available. Katherine McNamara stars as Clary Fray. She can also be seen in The Scorch Trials and in the Disney Channel series, Jessie. Kat is 20 years old. Emeraude Toubia plays Isabelle Lightwood. Emeraude is 27 years old and has been in many movies and shows. Matthew Daddario plays Alec Lightwood. Matt is 28 years old and is related to famous actress, Alexandra Daddario. That is basically our little Shadowhunters gang.

I enjoy this series and want it to continue in another season. My favorite episode of this season so far is episode 7 because major stuff happens in this episode. My second favorite has to be episode 8 because it is so emotional and the acting is so good. I love how the actors get so into their emotions. Some episodes I don't like are episodes 4 and 5. These episodes just did not work for me.

Overall this television series is great. I love it and would love to have a second series. I think that both fans of the book and people who don't know what it's about will enjoy it. I would say this show is for kids 11 and up. It does include some swear words but nothing too major. I really enjoy this show and hope you do to.
  • Absolutely amazing and well done in nearly every aspect!! LOVE!!

I was excited for this show before it came out, and recently decided to give it a watch. I cannot tell you how utterly captivated I am by all of the beautiful, talented actors and actresses, the perfect audio choices, the great cgi (for a fantasy tv show? totally satisfying), and so much more. I cannot wait to watch this every week and am enjoying binge watching up to the most recent episode! Please give this show a watch- you will not regret it! Love to all of the actors and actresses!
  • Love, love, love!!

Great show, would love to see it go on for a 2nd season
  • I love this show!!!

I love this show so much and as reader of the books I am actually ok with the changes that they have made. I am really hoping that they renew it for a second season because I really want to see more of the characters and how they grow like in the books.
  • Pretty average but entertaining

OK, so this show is pretty sub par but if you're a fan of sci-fi/fantasy, you'll still enjoy it. The acting and writing is pretty bad but they did a good job on visual effects. 7 episodes in, though, the best things in the show are the side stories of Simon and Alec. Alec is definitely the most convincing and likeable character while Simon's vamp arc is probably the most interesting.
  • In love

Although the beginning wasn't the best, I'm really starting to love the show. There's definitely room for improvement. I think it's getting better with each episode. A new show has to be able to grow and I think Shadowhunters is doing a great job. I'll definitely keep watching and it's worth my time. I hope the show keeps going on so it can keep on growing.
  • I kinda Love It...

At first I was literally hiding my face in shame of how awkward the writing was at times but, sad to say, I'm getting used to it. I probably only like it so much because I love the books and am desperate for a screen-adaption (and, I felt the movie sucked way more than the show).

The writing isn't TERRIBLE. It's just mediocre and incredibly cringe-worthy at times. I don't blame the actors as much, even though they, too, aren't that great. The set design is awesome though and is one of the things I love about the show. Also the plot. It includes more of the book's plot than the movie ever did. I would give it a try if you're considering it. Why not? Nothing to lose, except for maybe 45 minutes if your day.

*shrugs* It's a show that you either love or hate.
  • 1/2 way decent show, terrible acting by "main char"

The show is ok but the chick who plays Clary can't act for shit and the guy who plays her "brother" Jace barely can either. All the rest of the actors do a good job. 6,0 cause of her terrible acting. 7.0 for the show overall.
  • OMG this show

I LOVE the mortal instrument series with my heart and soul but the TV show is slowly tearing my heart out.

The one thing that really crossed my mind is the acting. It's like drawn out, akward and strenuous. Don't get me wrong about the action, but the order from the books and how it is portrayed is just way different. The acting is the thing that draws me away from the show.
  • Pleas axe this show!

I hate it when they axe scifi and fantasy shows, but if there is one show that is worthy of it, it's this one!

The acting is awful, the script is awful, the story is awful, and did I mention it's just plain awful?!

I thought maybe it would get better, but episode 2 was worse than episode 1. I thought i's give it a chance and watched episode 3, but it just gets worse and worse!
  • Ugh...

BAD ACTING. Seriously, where did they find these guys?
  • Really good!

At first the show was good but disappointing at the same time. Some of the lines were bad that's why but I don't blame the actors one bit because they have a script to follow. I stayed loyal to the show because I am a book fan and yes they do change it up a bit in the show and include parts from different books but I like it. Some of it can be improved and I do believe the show is getting better and better and the actors are growing into their characters. Episode 5 is by far the best and I'm pretty sure as the show continues it will just get better and this is why I gave it 10 stars because I dont want it to get cancelled. Also for the books fans disappointed that the show is going too fast, I'm sure it has to so the people who haven't read the books know what it's about and don't think it's boring. The movie followed the first book page by page and many people didn't like it. Give it a chance guys
  • excited

although the start of the series is a bit disappointing, it actually really improves throughout the season so far. im excited to see the changes they've made to the story in order to surprise both fans who've read the books and people who havent
  • Horrendous

Tough this show could be one of my guilty pleasures, but it's just stupid as hell, the acting is so cringy i shiver with disgust after almost every line i gave the show 5 episodes but honestly that was 4 to many. I would suggest avoid this show like the plague, and try out the Shannara Chronicles instead it's equally stupid but for people that are suckers for the fantasy shows, it is by far 100x better.
  • LOVE SHADOWHUNTERS

Amazing series just keeps getting better and better!!!

• good series

I love this series. In love
  • Did the writers read the books, or just the cliffnotes?

I was really looking forward to this tv series, since The Mortal Instruments book series are so well written, detailed, and captivating! So many aspects of this tv series are not even close to the detailed and repeated descriptions of essential aspects in the books.

Marking runes with a stele on Shadowhunter skin is not painful, it doesn't "burn" them, and there's no screaming in agony. The books detail that factor, and give examples of where drawing runes on Shadowhunters can cause discomfort if pressing too hard with the stele. No painful burning, No screaming. In The Clockwork Prince series, it details how drawing runes on "Humans" causes them to scream in agony, before they go insane or turn into Forsaken. Runes are an important aspect of Shadowhunter life, and of Clary's life- and they've got it all wrong in this tv series.

The Institute is a packed train station thoroughfare in this series. In the books, it details how the only people there most of the time are the Lightwoods, Jace, & Hodge. This is described as part of what causes Hodge to make major decisions going forward, because he's spent years with only the company of the 3 kids he teaches. In the tv series, he's surrounded by physical activity and countless adult Shadowhunters. Completely wrong.

In the books, Clary's attire and persona are completely detailed. She is an artist, lives in jeans, corduroys, t-shirts, buttoned shirts, and sneakers - boots on occasion. Described repeatedly in the books. In this tv series, she's in spiky stilettos constantly, in low tanks and glued on jeans. Who is she? Isabelle? It's ridiculous.

Luke, the werewolf is described in detail as well, a middle-aged white guy with some grey in his hair and glasses, who runs a bookstore\library. Practically a couple with Jocelyn Fray\Fairchild although they've just been friends and Valentine assumes he's Clary's biological father at first. In the tv series, Luke's a buff black guy, police officer, no grey hair, no glasses, no bookstore. And not an assumption to be Clary's biological father. Nothing like Ms. Clare's detailed descriptions in the book.

I understand some alterations\expanding\condensing storyline to make the series. But the writers have written so many main characters ad main aspects of the book series completely wrong.

Cassandra Clare's books are fantastic. It's mind-blowing that producers are incapable of releasing a visual representation that does it justice.

** The Magicians is a new series, just started. Much better entertainment value to watch.

Such a disappointment - the Shadowhunters series.
  • Very poor

2.5
    There's clearly enough substance to make a TV series from here, however the acting is just too bad to ignore. Additionally though the focus on tight, revealing clothing and 6 inch heels might make the show easy to look at; the female protagonists are barely able to walk let alone fight.

Perhaps the plot makes more sense to people familiar to this universe, or perhaps the showrunners want my confusion to perhaps reflect on the main character's own confusion. However currently as of episode 4 the plot seems extremely one dimensional and silly. Perhaps it will flesh out when the villain Valentine gets more screen time, but I doubt it. So far all the Valentine scenes have given us have been "Evil people do evil things because they're evil" without any real character development or explanation of motives.

I'll let others decide the quality of the books, I don't see any reason to bother checking them out if the writing quality is even remotely similar to the show. If a book series I liked got a TV adaptation of this quality I would be appauled.

Giving it a 2.5: The show is about as bad as it could be with the budget, it's early in the show and perhaps will improve with time as the plot develops and actors develop chemistry, some characters like Simon and Magnus are closer to being tolerable than the others.
  • Good show

Mcnamara is a little awkward. Sherwood and the other two fit their role well. I'll keep watching.
< 1 2