Shameless

But at Last Came a Knock

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Mar 06, 2011 on Showtime

• But at Last....

Big shoutout to Emmy Rossum for another great performance as she explained how Fiona has been the mother to the kids, not Monica, and it continues to show why few can combine humor and powerful emotion as well as Shameless does. A lot of lol moments tonight, from Frank running, to the butch girlfriend, to just about everything else all show long. Another good show, Shameless is too addicting.

• Shameless goes deep.

After several episodes heavy on the comedy, Shameless now took a detour through Seriousville. Someone from the Gallagher family returns, Debbie finds out a secret about Steve and Kash finds out about Ian's affair with Mickey resulting in consequences.

Toning down the comedy element in favour for a dive into the deeper levels of the characters is very much welcome. All shows need an episode every now and then which is different from what they usually are. This episode gave the audience a chance to see a different side of the family and exploring the inner tensions in it. There was more intense one-on-one moments in the episode were it was revealed what the characters really think about each other and what their real intentions are. This episode definitely gave a lot of material for the upcoming season two.
  • The Gallaghers reunite with their mother.

Finally, Shameless begins to have some semblance of a recurring plot here! I've really liked the way Shameless has introduced so many little characters and plots early in the season only to keep having them come back and have some payoffs later. The whole Kash/Ian relationship was strange to me, until I realized that it was just Ian finding love in the only real place he could find it. Of course, when he finds Mickey, it makes sense that he'd gravitate towards the easier relationship, and the more rational one. However, I really didn't think it would end like that.

Every character is starting to fire on all cylinders, even Kev and Veronica, who are actually one of my favorite couples on TV right now. Kev has this earnest and excitable personality that makes him fun to watch. He's clearly weirded out by this foster girl's polygamy roots (it's hilarious watching this show right after "Big Love." Two different looks at polygamy.) However, he clearly has a big heart and does favors for people regardless of what that means for him. I like this idea of him having a foster kid with Veronica (even if it seems like a ridiculous plot).

However, all of these minor things going on is nothing compared to the impact that Monica, Frank's mom, has on the rest of the family. Monica (played by the woman who played Nancy in Sid and Nancy) comes by with her new girlfriend and announces that she wants to take Liam back. This sends the family into a fury and leads Fiona to announce that she's done with the family if Monica wants to be in the family so bad again. I thought Frank's reaction to Monica's arrival was strange. I know he wants money, but is he so cold that he would give up a son for some cash? I'm assuming he is, and this whole Monica plot may seem a little random showing up now, at the end of the season.. but there's something about it that I like. I think I just like seeing a normal side to this family (as normal as can be for them I guess..)
  • Momma Gallagher returns and sends shockwaves through the family. While Deb discovers Steve for what he really is.

Of all the great eps we have seen from Shameless in its debut year this one is probably the best for many reasons. This ep was both funny and heartfelt, what more can you ask from a top notch drama.

This week Frank gets some good news, a settlement in court has come in but he can't get the money without his Monica's signature, his ex-wife. She gets little screen time but the time she has she sends shockwaves through the family saying she wants to take baby Liam with her and start a family with her lesbian trucker partner Bob. Frank Agrees on the condition she signs the settlement papers.

Meanwhile, Deb is looking out for Fiona by finding out what is the deal with her aloof boyfriend Steve. She tracks him down in a well-to-do house in Chicago with his posh stoner mother. Steve is actually named Jimmy and is from a family of doctors. Steve tells Deb that he loves Fiona and wants to be there for good and tries to buy off Deb to keep her mouth shut.

On top of all this Kevin want to foster the son of his first foster daughter and Kash discovers that Ian is cheating on him.

But the real strength of this episode came in the scene where Fiona fights to keep Liam and show Monica that the real mother of the Gallaghers is her. Truly touching stuff. If you need a reason to watch this show, use this ep as a blueprint.