Shameless

But at Last Came a Knock

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Mar 06, 2011 on Showtime

• The Gallaghers reunite with their mother.

Finally, Shameless begins to have some semblance of a recurring plot here! I've really liked the way Shameless has introduced so many little characters and plots early in the season only to keep having them come back and have some payoffs later. The whole Kash/Ian relationship was strange to me, until I realized that it was just Ian finding love in the only real place he could find it. Of course, when he finds Mickey, it makes sense that he'd gravitate towards the easier relationship, and the more rational one. However, I really didn't think it would end like that.

Every character is starting to fire on all cylinders, even Kev and Veronica, who are actually one of my favorite couples on TV right now. Kev has this earnest and excitable personality that makes him fun to watch. He's clearly weirded out by this foster girl's polygamy roots (it's hilarious watching this show right after "Big Love." Two different looks at polygamy.) However, he clearly has a big heart and does favors for people regardless of what that means for him. I like this idea of him having a foster kid with Veronica (even if it seems like a ridiculous plot).

However, all of these minor things going on is nothing compared to the impact that Monica, Frank's mom, has on the rest of the family. Monica (played by the woman who played Nancy in Sid and Nancy) comes by with her new girlfriend and announces that she wants to take Liam back. This sends the family into a fury and leads Fiona to announce that she's done with the family if Monica wants to be in the family so bad again. I thought Frank's reaction to Monica's arrival was strange. I know he wants money, but is he so cold that he would give up a son for some cash? I'm assuming he is, and this whole Monica plot may seem a little random showing up now, at the end of the season.. but there's something about it that I like. I think I just like seeing a normal side to this family (as normal as can be for them I guess..)