A Shameless Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on Showtime
We've seen it before with the way Dexter came to an end, the steady drop in quality of Californication from season to season, and especially with what's happening on Homeland this season; with a few exceptions shows on Showtime seem destined to disappoint us at some point, have us reminiscing on the glory days of the show.

I love Shameless and am so excited for Jan 12th, but in the back of my mind I'm nervous to see if the top notch writing continues or will the show become a microcosm of what it was for three straight seasons. Maybe I'm just pessimistic after being so utterly disappointed in Homeland this season, but do you guys think that at the end of the day we'd look back at Season 4 and say it was the start of the end?
Comments (9)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Season 4 was a real toe tapper(if you are Russian,depressed and/or alcoholic), but I refer to the nascent season 5...

Flag
Definitely,sadly yes. Writing's flat, new photographic style jarring and jumpy. Sorry, Dermot is excruciatingly unexciting as a potential love interest. I love William Macy,but he's defanged Frank and seems bored. I watched about 20 minutes,then deleted the DVR recording. Jumped the shark...really verklempt,but out of here...
Flag
I trust Shameless over many other cable shows I watch, and a couple broadcast. It seems to never dip in quality and has a knack for a steady, comprehensive albeit insanely crazy storyline. Such a gem, this series
Flag
I think Showtime leaves the creative alone at 'Shameless'. They're buried on a WB lot somewhere and they have remained a cohesive unit very proud of what they are doing. I am not a fan of Mike O'Malley the actor (OK he was kind of great on 'Justified') - but as a producer and writer on 'Shameless' I'm his biggest fan. As for Alex Borstein - just can't hate on Lois - but again, love having her writing and co-producing (and acting) on this show. 'Dexter' (RIP) and 'Homeland' and 'Nurse Jackie' always go through changes behind the scenes - people jumping ship. This show adds people. It has never dipped in quality in my humble opinion, only gotten stronger. Its accomplished that most difficult of goals to reach - it's doing a British import justice.

This is the best show Showtime has to offer because the creative people that produce and write the episodes know what story they are trying to tell and Showtime lets them tell it. And it looks good, capturing that heart of the Midwest Chicago and what goes on under the L. The best part is they're telling a story treating the real everyday plight of the lower class with respect. Cast - leads through supporting roles and quests - is wonderful. The fact that Damian Lewis and Claire Danes get nominated for awards and Bill Macy and Emmy Rossum rarely even get invited to the parties is a joke. Emmy Rossum has received zero nominations, really none, and I think her performance is kind of spectacular consistently. (Some shows also nominated Morena Baccarin who really, really doesn't hold a candle to Emma Kenney.) 4th season is a tough year to maintain quality but with the way the 3rd season cleared the decks (Jodie gets to be a pirate for Starz and it took me a while but I finally recognized Karen is one of the 'Tomorrow People') - there are a lot of directions the show could take and I'm in to see what happens. This is a show I'm anxious to see what's next which is more than I can say for most Showtime shows that you just kind of wait 'til its that time of the year. Fingers crossed Hank Moody goes out well.
More+
Flag
Staff
Shameless is not afraid to get weird, kill off important characters literally (Jimmy?) and figuratively (Karen), and does not have Showtime breathing down its neck to do so.

There's also a lot of meat left: Kev & Veronica, Lip and his struggles with genius, Fiona and her career struggles that should keep this show interesting for at least 2 more seasons. Anything beyond that THEN I'd start worrying about the show quality dipping.

For now lets continue to enjoy this terribly underrated show that for some reason not a lot of people are watching. Tell them about it.
CC @patsully
Flag
I feel like the show dropped in quality from season 1, not enough to make it unwatchable and think it's probably because they had a working formula and storyline just handed to them with the UK series.

califronication was ever little more than fornicating, drugs and vulgarity. so it just went from fun to uninspired.

homeland showed signs last season that it wasn't as strong as the hype. and with word that showtime meddled with the show there's little hope that the show would ever not suffer in some form. GJ saving brody showtime, it like totally payed off with the one episode he was present in this season.

shameless is an odd mix that's definitely character driven and isn't lacking in characters fortunately. it obviously has its strengths in that regard but I could see myself watching an episode of most anyone on the show, given they had the material to work with. the writers really do well writing the characters too. take steve who always gets fiona, that makes me jealous. he's also pretty which is impossible to compete with and not something I can relate to, yet I loved the guy and will miss him.

looking forward to the new season and if I can watch californication still, which I do, I'll be sticking with this for the foreseeable future.

More+
Flag
I'm hoping that because Shameless is more of a black comedy that it will escape the unnecessary plot twists that can ruin a drama. #ianandmickeyforever
Flag
@efonsecajr Want to hear what you think.
Flag
I agree there's a lot of risk as the show goes forward that it will repeat storylines - Frank in particular needs to show some level of change to remain interesting. I thought it was a really good sign for the future of the show that they were willing to move away from the Jimmy / Steve character. Bringing him back again would have been one too many twists and I'm glad for Fiona to have a fresh start moving forward. As long as she and Lip continue to drive the plot, I'll have faith.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members