Shameless

El Gran Canon

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Jan 13, 2013 on Showtime

• #301 'El Gran Canon'

I am glad this show is finally back after 9 months but I hope it won't be a disappointment. The premiere episode was not the best one but they tried to keep it up with some pretty dramatic stuff like Marco's killing and getting Steve involved plus constantly keeping him under their observation. Fiona gets fired from her job and tries to get back to the club where she used to work but this time she needs 1,000$ to promote a night a get a shot at becoming a club manager. There was not enough of Kev and Veronica who are my favorites but it looks like they invented some new webcam show where he plays Thomas Jefferson and she is his slave - it's pretty racist but it pays the bills. The Gallagher kids (except Lipp and his boring storyline - I can barely stand his character) did not have much to do, Debbs was missing her dad who was away for 137 days and found himself in Mexico. Carl is still a little pervert and Ian is dating (is that a right word?) Steve's father played by Harry Hamlin. Sheila and Jodi had a couple of short scenes, they are looking after Karen's baby and not getting any sleep. By sleep I also mean sex.

It was not a bad episode but it could have been better. Although those previews for the next few episodes looked mighty fine. Game on. [7.5/10]
  • EL Gran Canon

Shameless will never have an episode that doesn't make you laugh and doesn't make you wonder how they will top the outrageous scenarios that Frank gets into, but as far as season premieres go this one happened to be a little bit slow. More of the same problems, not a lot of growth from these characters, and even though that's kind of the point of the series, from an entertainment standpoint you do want some change year to year.

Still fun though, but a little bit slow.