Shameless Forums

Sunday 9:00 PM on ShowtimeIn Season

UK Viewers: What do you make of the show?

Heather_H

[1]Jun 24, 2011
    • level: 35

What do you make of the US remake?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MariannaPecchin

[2]Jun 28, 2011
    • level: 2
    Better than the original!

marylnsky46

[3]Jun 28, 2011
    • level: 3
    awesome

Sianx

[4]Jun 30, 2011
    • level: 4
    Not even close to the original!

Derbyginge245

[5]Jul 1, 2011
    • level: 5
    awful

This_Years_Love

[6]Jul 10, 2011
    • level: 11
    I like it better than the original

the_ricksta

[7]Aug 11, 2011

Have just finished the first season and I must say, I LOVE it!

I really rate William H Macey anyways and I think the whole thing is well cast. Acting is awesome. it's almost fly on the wall- feel lik you're living thru each bit of mayhem with them. very very good.

I've watched the UK version and just didn't get on with it. I guess when you've grown up on a council estate in manchester it just reminds you of that whereas the American version as a slight mistique and charm about it. Hard to explain. Plus the american Fiona is gorgeous in such a real way!!

Monster_Jinn

[8]Aug 27, 2011
    • level: 1

I really enjoyed the first season. In my opinion it's on par, and at some points better, than the original. It seems that it's taking drama over comedy rather than vice versa like the UK one but in some ways that's made it better. I hope that the Maguires stay simply as the 'hard' family of the neighbourhood rather than have ties in organised crime like the UK family does. Sure the UK Maguires were very funny, but with drama being the primary genre they should just stick to what we've got on them so far.

BSGprophecy

[9]Oct 26, 2011

Personally I think the US version was just as good as the UK version in its own unique way. Over the years the UK version has changed quite a lot so although they share the same storyline in the US version, its a very different show really.

What I liked most about the US version is the grungy, almost SHAMELESS way it has been shot. There is literally no mistaking the poverty the characters are living in and I loved the realism of this. I've never been to the US or experienced life in the gheto but this is exactly how I imagine it to be, cold, depressing and full of people battleing with poverty and other personal problems. I also loved the strong family values and loyalty to eachother in the community which almost makes living in these conditions bareable. Although its a comedy, it has a very serious side to it too and this is not lost in the US version, this will allow the writers to cover many important issues with this show and I'm sure it will run for just as many years as the UK version.

All in all, like I said its a very different show with a very different atmosphere to the UK version but at the end of the day they are two different countries. All I know is it works and I like it just as much as the UK version, maybe a little bit more infact and thats saying something. It'll be interesting to see if the US version continues with the UK storyline or if it goes off in its own direction. This is up to the writers but TBH I can see this show being a success whatever direction they take.