Shameless Forums

Sunday 9:00 PM on ShowtimeIn Season

Why??????

petealtra

[1]Apr 7, 2010
    • level: 1

The original version is so good, why yo you have to ruin it with a crappy US remake. I have been watching Shameless for a few years now on Sundance, Macy is no Frank G.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Mageta44

[2]Apr 11, 2010
    • level: 4
    I don't understand this either. They could have at least created a new family instead of just taking the same roles but other actors. That's just stupid and unfortunately I can't watch this adaptation now because it would just be much too confusing.

t0m_cat_

[4]Jun 6, 2010
    • level: 4

When will American TV producers learn that these tacky remakes do not work! out of all the shows that have been attempted (Ab Fab, Kath & Kim and IT Crowd as recent examples), the only ones that went anywhere was The Office, and Queer as Folk. And even then the public is rather split. there is a reason that there is a market for these shows in the USA and Internationally, people are sick of the United States taken any resource they can, sucking it dry and then abandoning the carcass. That and most of us are sick of the unrealistic, politically correct, dumbed down to the lowest common denominator portrails of 'the beautiful people' in the USA living lifestyles they could never possibly afford.

MeanGene69

[5]Dec 7, 2010
    • level: 7

AMEN to the O.P.! Gawd!!!The U.S. ruins anything they steal from other countries!!!Cry They have like a 97% miss-rate! Damn their P.C.ness! Gritty shows work because they are gritty - not sterilised!

averysays

[6]Dec 10, 2010
    • level: 10

I don't see how this show could come even close to the original.

They are going to water it down for American TV.

Even if they didn't water it down, it will be a cheap imitation for fans of theoriginalshow.

Yell

G00dtimes420

[7]Dec 11, 2010
    • level: 6

Wow there are some ignorant people here, if remaking a show didn't work then they wouldn't do it at all, the make shows to make money. For me who watches all the original UK shows before watching the US remake, I can say that the UK office is only for the UK, the original is just BORING, slow, and not entertaining, but I wouldn't doubt that there are some comedic differences between the UK and US which I'm sure that is part of the reason for the remake as a lot of US people don't know much about UK culture. Plus I doubt the US version will be "watered down", the show will be on Showtime, so they are allowed to show just as much if not MORE then the original. But it just simply amazes me how many people are just ignorant on TV.com, US doesn't steal **** we're just smart, we see a good show that will make money so we remake it to adapt the cultural differences because showing the original, half of the people won't understand some of the comedy or the many other aspect with cultural differences. You got to adapt to your audience and remaking it is the best shot they got in making it a success. If the original was so good then they would just syndicate it in the US, but they know it will FAIL! So they remake to adapt to the US audience. But I like the UK original of Shameless, IT Crowd, Misfits, etc. and I'll also watch the US version, watch both if I like both, or drop the one that isn't as good. Once it's announced "US remake" is automatically crap for you all, your all a bunch of judgmental ignorant people, give it an actual try before you run your mouth.

q_azplm

[8]Dec 30, 2010
    • level: 1

Alas, G00dtimes420, you definitely don't get it: the real flavour of the show is about credible characters (i.e. European faces, you don't see Tara Reid as a humble gardener like US did for the "Visitors in America" French film) and real language and accent (English, I mean). How lame would a sequel for "Firefly" made in England be ?

monet_renee

[9]Jan 6, 2011
    • level: 3

TOTALLY AGREES! Shameless is a classic BRITISH program and it portrays (some) British families! You simply cannot create a US version based on this because they do not go through our 'chavish' ways. We do not try to recreate 90210 we just simple watch the American version BECAUSE we don't have a high school that has cheerleaders and pupils that drive convertibles. Come on. Their doing this with Skins as well.

Orlando-GOL

[11]Jan 10, 2011
    • level: 17
    So, anyone from the "critics" at least watched the show? ._.

gem-in-eye

[12]Jan 10, 2011
    • level: 5

-first off, everone is complaining about this but no one is mentioning the shows the british have taken and re-done, CSI...ect?

-you keep saying that american's, not american t.v., have no originality. Then tell me, how many of you watched Lost and loved it? Battlestar galactica...ect?

-would changing the name of the show make you happier?

-

babelak

[14]Jan 11, 2011
    • level: 12

As a Brit who loved the original and just watched the first ep of the US version, I have to say I liked it. They kept all of the salty, honest humour and grimy realism and injected a real sense of Chicago location. They seem to have stuck pretty much to the plot with one or two minor changes/accelerations which I quite liked. My only problem is that it's probably not aspirational enough for the American audiences who don't seem to go for "grimy realism" with quite as much gusto as we Brits do. The fact that it's on Showtime may help, they have a good track record with anti-heroic protagonists, but I fear it may be destined for premature cancellation unless it manages to capture a core, devoted audience. Here's hoping!

TeaCake911

[15]Jan 11, 2011
    • level: 6
    As another person in this thread to actually watch the series (the second one out of everybody, it seems like) I have to easily say it was the best thing I've seen on TV in the last 5 years.

Now, I haven't ever seen the British version. But that's the point-- most Americans will never be exposed to the Brit version, hence the need for Showtime to create the US version based in Chicago. It was brilliant, and if it was a direct copy of the Brit version, then kudos to Europe for being the original idea for this, and several other of my favorite TV series (All in the Family, The Office, Merlin, etc.)

wantangbob

[16]Jan 12, 2011
    • level: 2

I'm with you Teacake, as a fan of the British version (and being English) I can honestly say that it is a great show. Not quite so sure it's as good, but that may have more to do with cultural differences. The comedy isn't quite as heavily played either. For example you don't get as much of an insight into Sheilas (Blow-Job Karen's mum) "problems".

tvrev

[17]Jan 17, 2011
    • level: 23

ok guys having reading all of us i never watch shameless when it was on TV but as soon i heard US were remaking this show i decided to watch British one on you tube all 8 season are on official you tube channel ( so far i am on 3rd season ) .

Anyway i have to say while US one isn't as great as UK one i enjoy playing spot the difference game it's fun spot difference between the episodes eg i knew frank end up in canada while british version frank ended up in france -the uk one was better because language barrier unlike Canada there was no language barrier it didn't work had it been mexico the humour would of worked.

At the end of day it depend whether US audience like this show if they don't it's gone.

There is no point compare the shows Frown people are either going watch it or not.

Let US people decided whether this show deserves to be on the air. Cool

leahk

[18]Jan 17, 2011
    • level: 7

I don't understand the "It's a remake it must therefore be crap" mentality, it's like the "It's not like the book therefore it must be crap" mentality.

Ignore the fact it's a remake and judge it on it's own merits.

I'm a long time fan of the UK version - which I have re-watched many times.

So far, I have enjoyed the US version - I think they have put together a great cast and hope it lasts as long as the UK version has.

Vikki35

[19]Jan 19, 2011
    I love the U.S version, the last episode was hilarious. I think the cast is excellent and the cultural differences make it very entertaining to watch.

degrass1fan

[20]Jan 19, 2011
    • level: 12
    I have watched the British version and was a bit reluctant about watching the US remake but IMO it has a different feel. The British version comes off being more comical whereas the US version(not I said version because after the first few episodes it will veer off into its own plot) has more of a dramatic feel with some comedy thrown in. Of course the pilots are going to be the same, they always are. As mentioned above, they have a great cast and I hope it garners some more season(it has the potential IMO).

daFlo16

[21]Jan 24, 2011

Why do you care if Showtime makes a remake? I just don't understand it. What's the big deal? Can someone explain it to me?