We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Shameless Forums

Sunday 9:00 PM on ShowtimeIn Season

Why??????

monet_renee

[22]Jan 27, 2011
    • level: 3
    LMAO
    Were just TV fanatics that's all... You must have a favorite show out there that you would HATE if somebody else re-make it.

Imagine the UK remaking Family Guy #horrified Personally, if the UK tried to re-make Spartacus or Charmed (same names and storyline) I think I'll cry with laughter and shame.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

friendserking

[23]Jan 31, 2011
    • level: 13

Since the UK and U.S. have such different styles of comedy I do not mind remakes for the soul reason that I typically dont like the original, but I like the remake. Also it makes no sense that people judge shows like the office for getting remade and talking how horrible it is when Ricky Gervais makes millions off the U.S. version and serves as a producer on that show. So obviously he thinks its ok who are we to judge.

Im using the office as an example because it seems to be the most notable remake. The fact is though the Office U.S is a totally different show than the one in the UK. Yes, characters are similar and some story lines are similar but in reality its a different show. It would be like saying Greys Anatomy is a remake of ER. They have similar characters on both shows and similar story lines, but again its a different show with a different style.

I would have to assume the same isfor the showShamelessI enjoy the remake, and haveyet to watch the British version and Imsure I would not like it. It is hard for me to judge having not seen the original I realize this. I will however commend the writerswho originally create theseshows in the UK because without them the general ideas for these shows probably would not exist sothey deserve credit for that. At Least they get thanked or even get producer credits or get to sell rights to there shows in cases like Greys Anatomy since it is supposedly a different show writers from ER or even other medical dramas who have basically written the same thing before get nothing in return out of it.

WingcommanderIV

[24]Feb 8, 2011
    • level: 8
    The US version is, in my opinion, one of the best shows on television. It's hilarious, with a fast pace and interesting characters. Every character has a certain twist that makes them each so engaging, and the show focuses on a lot of characters so that you never get bored with any one plotline. I also appreciate the gritty look of the show. Sure, it's a remake of a British show, and sure the British version had James Mcavoy in it, but all the sets looked like sets in the show. In this show, their house actually looks like a home. Just all around better production values.

Taccado

[25]Feb 28, 2011
    • level: 21

I definitely belong to the group of people who likes to bash American remakes of both TV shows and films. American shows are in general soulless shadows of the gritty and deep British (or European) shows. In the case of Shameless I'm not going to go that far though. I had not seen the UK version of Shameless at all before I began watching the US version. And without that bias I have to say that in my mind the US version is a very good TV show in its own right. It is funny, has a quick pace, great actors and they succeeded in moving the plot into an American suburb without all the polished glitz and glamour.

Now after I've watched the beginning of the UK show I have to say I'm slightly surprised how much of the original they've copied to the US version. There are complete scenes and lines which have been moved taken to the US version. That wasn't nice to see. But otherwise I would say that they have captured the spirit of the original version in the US version.

bigtumtums76

[26]Mar 1, 2011
    • level: 2

I noticed my reaction to this thread is already well voiced out by other members before me. I agree with Taccado, TeaCake911 and degrass1fan. It's a different culture and setting, ergo it's a matter of weaving plot similarities with it's own style and flow.

Not to mention the kind of viewers in the series. If the US watchers could easily relate to the UK version, there would not be any need for the US version to come about. They even have their own page here in tv.com so its distinct viewers can go to the Shameless series they watch.

It is a well-known fact that the series originated from the UK. The US tv cannot claim it as their own. If the UK viewers would like that recognition from US viewers, then let us give it to them. Hehehe!

DMBExodus

[27]Mar 20, 2011

So they remade it. I love this show. I am American, so yes I would rather see an American Version than a UK version. They have a great cast. I am a tv snob. I love television. I hate 99.9 percent of tv these days bc of reality tv and all you idiots that can't think. So all the good shows, atleast on network tv, gets axed bc people can't have an imagination and rather see people sing. I want a scifi, drama, comedy series. Chuck, another awesome show. All the great shows get cancelled. For one, only bc i saw it tonight, Firefly.

Anyway,

Shameless is a great show. If you don't like it, dont watch it. I for one hope they are around for a long time. Not to mention, Emma is hot and i get to see her naked, who could ask for more.

Dave

DMBExodus

[28]Mar 20, 2011

I forgot to mention. Just bc a show is made in the UK, doesnt mean crap. They are all owned by the same networks. So maybe they test it out in the UK and then if it does good it moves to the US. Who knows the inner workings on television. Who knows.

OoTINmanOo

[29]Mar 21, 2011

I think this is the best "new" show of the year. Who cares if it's a remake? They are doing a great job, thus far, and either way it's going to do well because it's on SHOWTIME! They always put out shows like this one, where the rest of cableTVmakes everything family friendly. Weeds, Californication, Dexter, and Nurse Jackie, to name a few, and i do believe those were all US originals and they have all done great for a combined 17 seasons. I have yet to see the UK version and I'm downloading it as i type, but if it's anything like the US version I can't see myself displeased with it. I do like the fact that it is mostly a drama with a splash of comedy thrown in, but doesn't that apply to the other showtime shows i listed above as well? I do like the office, I have watched the original, but I like the US v. better. I'm not a superfan of English comedy, but I have come to love The Ricky Gervais Show and Idiot Abroad(I can't wait until the second season of Idiot Abroad comes on :Karl's Bucket List).

I do agree that the US v. of SKINS F*CKING blows in comparison to the US v., but I do think that's MTV's fault. They just don't know how to make a good show. (or one with a spec of substance and originality) I watched the entire first season of SKINS UK after I saw the first episode US v., and I still thought the UK v. was better. I still watched the US one for about four more eps before I gave up on it completely.

But the question the US SHAMELESS fans should ask themselves is: Would you really give a $H!T if the UK wanted to remake LOST or WEEDS or DEXTER?

I say, if they can get more English people to watch it than the original, then F*CKING go for it!!!!

PS ----Ever since WEEDS was cancelled and Shameless aired I haven't missed WEEDS, and I waited every week for it to air.

Edited on 03/21/2011 12:19am

TheBam711

[30]Mar 21, 2011
    • level: 9

I haven't watched the original Shameless but I do love the US version of Shameless so far...I honestly wouldn't care if some of my favorite shows were made in other countries (even if it was an English speaking country...) I'll just be glad the shows that's in air here isn't canceled. (Maybe I wouldn't be able to picture the show with different actors, setting, etc....but I still wouldn't really care) Lots of good shows get canceled and it's sad to see them go....so I'd rather worry about the status of the show then where it's going. Also..you got to understand that there are so many actors that need jobs and remaking these shows helps them get the job (and helps them get more recognition and a main role instead of someone just in a background for an episode or two...) This also helps the networks do commercials for the show and I'm pretty sure the original creators get paid as well...(which would mean they would have a bigger and better budget for their next show...) JUST BE GLAD THE SHOW ISN'T CANCELED IN YOUR COUNTRY

guytwo

[31]Mar 27, 2011
    • level: 7
    Returns next year!!! NOOOOOooooo, much to long. I'm glad Fiona didn't leave but didn't really think she would.

sasou82

[32]Mar 29, 2011
    • level: 11

It is March 2011 and we have to wait until NEXT YEAR for the second season of this show? What a crock! First Mad Men now Shameless... This sucks!

Sirius20

[33]Mar 31, 2011
    • level: 4

I personally started watching the American version when it first came out and I do have to say that the first 3 episodes of the season I really enjoyed. Then I started watching the British one and I'm sorry to say, but the British one blows the American version out of the water at pretty much every turn. I didn't mind the writer's taking scenes from the original because the original has great writing and storylines. With that being said, the American version as the OP says, is way too politically correct compared to the British one. They don't want to shake up the storyline ever and want to keep the story in a neatly packaged box. For instance, the American version took the plot about Lip and Kev stealing the meat from the truck and selling it around town. Since I saw the rest of the first season of the British one, I was excited that they were going to do this plot because in the British one, the meat is part of a war exercise and is tainted with an unknown disease and the people start dying all around them, including Ian who gets very sick. Then they just decide to leave out everyone getting sick and make no mention of it whatsoever, but leave the stealing in. This was the first sign of vast superiority of the British one in my opinion. The final nail in the coffin though was this past weeks finale. The American version did redeem itself slightly when they finally had Frank sleep with Karen and I do have to give the writers some props for taking a slightly different direction and having Karen tape it and email it around town so that her father eventually kills himself because of the embarrassment. Then it leads to the scene with Lip urinating out his window on Frank's head to which Frank finally accepts his punishment. Then to see Fiona not leave the show like in the British one ruined the entire episode. It basically invalidated any of the character development of Fiona because in the end she didn't change at all. To me, the message that the writer's gave to the audience by keeping her on the show was basically "don't follow your heart, get a job instead" since she decides to get a job with her new friend. The whole point of the Steve, Fiona plot was for Fiona to finally do something for herself and her leaving Steve just shows that the writer's are too afraid of shake things up and have to keep their formula very strict. The cast of the 8th season of the British version is pretty much unrecognizable from the first couple seasons, yet the essence of the show is still there and you honestly barely even think of Fiona and Steve or Veronica and Kev since they left the show. It's just a shame because I really wanted the American version to be great and it just constantly disappoints me. And don't even get me started with how awful the casting of Anthony Anderson as Marty was.

MatthewRaiche

[34]Feb 18, 2013
    • level: 5
    monet_renee wrote:
    LMAO
    Were just TV fanatics that's all... You must have a favorite show out there that you would HATE if somebody else re-make it.

Imagine the UK remaking Family Guy #horrified Personally, if the UK tried to re-make Spartacus or Charmed (same names and storyline) I think I'll cry with laughter and shame.

I love "Family Guy" and I honestly would not care if a British version were made. With shows like "Sparticus," there would be no need to remake it because there's no culturally-specific material, but with shows such as "Shameless," there is a lot of culturally-specific subject matter that Americans would not relate to, so it had to be remade so that American audiences would find it interesting.

cdnaera

[35]Feb 20, 2013
    I LOVE THIS VERSION! I've tried watching the UK version but I just can't. I love William H Macy's version of Frank. He does an excellent job! Of course viewers of the UK version are not going to like the remake since they are so settled with their version but if the US hadn't created this version I would never have known there was a show called Shameless, I would've just assumed it was a new show. Love all the actors that portray the different characters they are brilliant. I'm so glad they made a US version!!!

cdnaera

[36]Feb 20, 2013

i agree completely!!! if they hadn't i wouldn't know there was even a show called Shameless

cdnaera

[37]Feb 20, 2013

OoTINmanOo wrote:

I think this is the best "new" show of the year. Who cares if it's a remake? They are doing a great job, thus far, and either way it's going to do well because it's on SHOWTIME! They always put out shows like this one, where the rest of cableTVmakes everything family friendly. Weeds, Californication, Dexter, and Nurse Jackie, to name a few, and i do believe those were all US originals and they have all done great for a combined 17 seasons. I have yet to see the UK version and I'm downloading it as i type, but if it's anything like the US version I can't see myself displeased with it. I do like the fact that it is mostly a drama with a splash of comedy thrown in, but doesn't that apply to the other showtime shows i listed above as well? I do like the office, I have watched the original, but I like the US v. better. I'm not a superfan of English comedy, but I have come to love The Ricky Gervais Show and Idiot Abroad(I can't wait until the second season of Idiot Abroad comes on :Karl's Bucket List).

I do agree that the US v. of SKINS F*CKING blows in comparison to the US v., but I do think that's MTV's fault. They just don't know how to make a good show. (or one with a spec of substance and originality) I watched the entire first season of SKINS UK after I saw the first episode US v., and I still thought the UK v. was better. I still watched the US one for about four more eps before I gave up on it completely.

But the question the US SHAMELESS fans should ask themselves is: Would you really give a $H!T if the UK wanted to remake LOST or WEEDS or DEXTER?

I say, if they can get more English people to watch it than the original, then F*CKING go for it!!!!

PS ----Ever since WEEDS was cancelled and Shameless aired I haven't missed WEEDS, and I waited every week for it to air.

You brought up a VERY good point when it comes to remakes by mentioning the show Skins....I agree completely that the UK version is just incomparable to the US version it is without a doubt ten millions times better! I could not watch the US version at all I tried but I just couldn't connect with the characters. I absolutely LOVED the cast of the UK version of skins! My favourite season being 3 and 4....Just loved Effy and the others in this season. Come to think of it those were the only two seasons I really watched...I did watch the 1st and 2nd which were also good but I just preferred 3 and 4.

So when it comes to tv shows it doesn't matter if its UK or US or whatever its really dependent on how differently everyone reacts.

hal9000_basic

[38]May 23, 2013
    • level: 8

Personally, having watched only the 1st Season of the Brit Version, I prefer the US version. Maybe its because I understand the American accents better and can follow the topical references.

infiniter

[39]Oct 8, 2013

petealtra wrote:

The original version is so good, why yo you have to ruin it with a crappy US remake. I have been watching Shameless for a few years now on Sundance, Macy is no Frank G.

Who's Frank G.? Macy is at least known outside the UK.

RyanLoring

[40]Feb 23, 2014

Man, weren't you dead wrong 4 years ago.

jenndice

[41]Aug 8, 2014
    • level: 4

G00DTIMES420:

I'm happy Americans have actually taken to the show, and it is far from "watered down" or commercialized as expected by British fans. Thank you for not being rude like so many others. There are US shows redone in the UK as well. There are BBC series popular in the states and US shows popular in the UK. Why don't people just discuss what they like or dislike about a show without going into generalizations about fans from one country or another. There are plenty of different people with different tastes to go around in both countries.

Edited on 08/08/2014 7:54pm