Shameless

Frank Gallagher: Loving Husband, Devoted Father

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Feb 20, 2011 on Showtime

• Frank fakes his death to avoid people he owes money to.

7.7
    First off, I want to say that I like this show a lot, I like the characters a lot and I'm willing to forgive any missteps that it takes. However, I won't overlook them. I was never a fan of the whole "Frank owes people money" plot, and that's probably way this episode didn't entertain me as much as the last few weeks. There was a whole lot of stuff going on here in each character's life, things I'm not sure I cared a whole lot about and things that were just so insane that it made me wonder how anyone could actually write such ridiculous things.

I'm not even sure where to start with the episode. Besides Frank trying to escape death, the family also has the following to deal with: Ian has to deal with Mickey, the brother of the girl he's dating, since he keeps hurting and robbing Cash.. he sneaks into their house and finds Mickey and learns that he too is gay they jump into bed together and are nearly caught. First off, it seems ridiculous and completely unbelievable that Mickey would be gay almost as ridiculous as on Glee, where Kurt learns that the football player bullying him actually likes him. I don't want to tread on any toes about the topic, but it just seems like a contrived bit of writing, something that's supposed to seamlessly tie things together, and it doesn't work that well.

Also, Cash's wife finds out about Ian and Cash's affair, and what began as a shocking and uncomfortable confrontation turned into a ridiculous "aw shucks, that's hilarious!" moment when his wife said he can continue having an affair with Ian as long as he gives her another baby. That just seems stupid.

Meanwhile, the rest of the plots were slightly more interesting. Steve is slowly becoming more interesting, even if he does come on a bit strong and the plot where he tries to get Fiona to enjoy a night with him is nice. There's still not a lot we know about his character (on second thought, do we know anything about the Gallaghers besides the fact that the mother left and that they're dysfunctional? They're dysfunctional with no reason for it...) but he's a bright light in Fiona's dim life.

And although I've been irritated with Sheila's plot lately, I liked her babysitting session with Liam. It seemed out of place at first, but it allowed her an opportunity to go outside for the first time in forever. I like that they're slowly giving Joan Cusack more to do, and despite the way the writers seem to shoehorn her into scenes randomly, I think that she's becoming the most believable and intriguing character right now. Of course, all of that is for naught unless they give us a reason why she is the way she is. That goes for all of these plots. Some explanation is needed, otherwise, the characters are missing key pieces of personality that would make them even more three dimensional than they are.
  • Frank Gallagher: Loving Husband, Devoted Father

6.3

I'm sorry, I've watched every episode of Shameless, and while all of them have been enjoyable, this was just stupid to comprehend. Like they would buy him faking his death, and then not take the extremity when that is usually their policy? Come on now.

And the way the family responded to him averting danger was unrealistic too. They obviously don't want him dead, but it seemed like a loving family at the end, not the Gallaghers we all know.