Shameless

Three Boys

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Feb 06, 2011 on Showtime

• Deadrookie

Sorry if we are not experts on being poor and collecting welfare like you asshole.
  • This is in response to deadrookie - more or less--

This is in response to deadrookie - more or less-- someone needs to chill out. This isn't a documentary. There is no real family like this where every single person has something interesting about them (even the baby). So relax that they don't get every aspect 100% correct and take it for what is supposed to be-- a comedy. I agree that whoever wrote it may lack exposure to the reality of this socioeconomic derivative. It's freaking TV-- they rarely get any stereotype/story right (great example-- see "GREEK"). It has to be over the top all the time or the audience is bored to death and changing the channel. No one wants to watch your friend yell at a broken elevator or eat garbage. Well, on second thought...
  • Three Boys

Shameless has been a strong show so far, but this episode was a bit of a step back. Too crazy, a little bit damaging to the characters, and an odd (albeit mildly amusing) guest appearance by Anthony Anderson. The cliffhanger at the end worked, but I don't want to see the show do that every week like it did here and it last show. Keep things different.

Not bad, I chuckled, but probably the worst episode so far.
  • INSULTING SHOW -SEE review

5.5
    The research department of this show obviously written and produced by wealthy Hollywood who have little or no actual idea of how the "system" works or does not work. For anyone who is really interested in the realities rather than the rantings of William F Macy (which I like by the way) here are the facts. I am going to state these because this series get it wrong, week after week.

1)No one get Food Stamps anymore. They use that term every other week. They do not ecist. To those who have a real job, no one has 'food stamps". the US government issues what is called an Ebt card.
    You use it like a credit card. No one is peeling off food stamps. Shameless really needs someone whose annual income is at the poverty line to be a consultant.

2)Aunt Ginger---Bill Macy again rages--and yells you "cut off his medicare". Wrong again. he means medicaid. he might get medicare too, if he qualified but doubtful since it seems he didnt hold a job and is collecting off his dead Aunt.

3)-Disability does NOT send people to your house. You ahve to SIT there, in a run down building, with babies and children crying, all day, to speak to someone who checks your records, and processes forms. You can'rt sit some old woman from an old age hom,e with NO ID and pull off a ridiculous stunt as in Aunt ginger.

4)Disability, for those truly disabled, people with cancer, severe neurological damage, parkinsons, Spinal cord damage--have to go to hearings multiple times to be approved. And then they must be reviewed again. Macy's "faking" illness only adds to the myth that 'all these people are fakers" on disability.
    Really an insulting show to someone living in a wheelchair with a severed spinal cord, with a broken elevator who can't leave his apt to get food.

This show needs a dose of reality and accuracy in its writing. STOP using the phrases :food stamps and Medicare. GET it RIGHT -it is EBT and medicaid.

FInally--there is No such thing as a needle biopsy of the testicles done in a free clinic--you have to remove one to properly test it for cancer or mass (refer to actor TOM GREEN). I have already been there and been told--you either REMOVE ONE or take your chances ....

Aside from this--it is TV';s first attempt in a long time to present a less than Disney Tv rich..so thats a start...for people earning less than 50k a year (a taboo subjhect it seems in episodic TV these days,,.everyone has a nice job and nice house--everyone on ABC lives in a nice big house..
    with a nioe garden and nice neighbors.(Why>)
    no one has been seen living as millions do--
    in a housing project since GOOD TIMES !!!
    TV shows want to show the rich side of USA ONLY.
    This show TRIES but it is so flawed in its dialogue and it's cheating lead character is a bad example and only reinforces the blue collar idea that "all those people are faking injuries". tell that to my friend in thw wheelchair with cystic fibrosis who cant get in the elevator and had to eat food out of the trash. Shape up SHAMELESS..get your poverty terms CORRECT.
  • Kev and Veronica's marriage plans move onward, while Frank gets some bad news about his health

After the last couple of episodes, which were superb, this episode felt much weaker... but at the same time, I feel like the show has found its comfort zone, which is a good thing. If the writers can simply find a way to surprise us and throw us a few plots every now and then that make this group of misfits seem like normal people, I'll be happy. I can't deny that the show is lots of fun; the acting is pretty solid, the humor is always there and the writing isn't bad at all.

The best parts of this episode was when the writers just let the characters breathe and have fun without having to worry about all these other ridiculous roadblocks.. for instance, the brother who escapes from prison (played by Anthony Anderson) and has Tourettes, bi-polar and a fire fetish.. I mean, is that really necessary in an episode that already has the group throwing a fake wedding for Veronica to get money that her father left for her before she died? And an episode that has Ian suffering in his relationship with Cash and Frank suffering from testicular cancer (benign, not malignant..)? The brother seems unnecessary.

However, the show does seem to be getting somewhat of a grasp on the characters and what makes each one of them tick. The only character I'm not a fan of is Sheila, Karen's mom, played by Joan Cusack. I feel as if she doesn't add anything to the show except to act as a maid to William H. Macy's character. For the most part, all of the other characters get great moments, including Carl, who seems to be psychotic for the most part but at least gets substantial scenes.

The ending of the episode made up for any nitpicking I've done; it was a spontaneous and fun montage of events, ending with a genuinely nice moment between Steve and Fiona; and people may have problems with Steve as a character, but Justin Chatwin did a good job with him in this episode.