Shameless

Three Boys

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Feb 06, 2011 on Showtime

• Kev and Veronica's marriage plans move onward, while Frank gets some bad news about his health

After the last couple of episodes, which were superb, this episode felt much weaker... but at the same time, I feel like the show has found its comfort zone, which is a good thing. If the writers can simply find a way to surprise us and throw us a few plots every now and then that make this group of misfits seem like normal people, I'll be happy. I can't deny that the show is lots of fun; the acting is pretty solid, the humor is always there and the writing isn't bad at all.

The best parts of this episode was when the writers just let the characters breathe and have fun without having to worry about all these other ridiculous roadblocks.. for instance, the brother who escapes from prison (played by Anthony Anderson) and has Tourettes, bi-polar and a fire fetish.. I mean, is that really necessary in an episode that already has the group throwing a fake wedding for Veronica to get money that her father left for her before she died? And an episode that has Ian suffering in his relationship with Cash and Frank suffering from testicular cancer (benign, not malignant..)? The brother seems unnecessary.

However, the show does seem to be getting somewhat of a grasp on the characters and what makes each one of them tick. The only character I'm not a fan of is Sheila, Karen's mom, played by Joan Cusack. I feel as if she doesn't add anything to the show except to act as a maid to William H. Macy's character. For the most part, all of the other characters get great moments, including Carl, who seems to be psychotic for the most part but at least gets substantial scenes.

The ending of the episode made up for any nitpicking I've done; it was a spontaneous and fun montage of events, ending with a genuinely nice moment between Steve and Fiona; and people may have problems with Steve as a character, but Justin Chatwin did a good job with him in this episode.