Sharpe Forums

ITV (ended 2008)

Majors- Nairn and Hogan

VerityJackson

[1]Dec 20, 2005
    • level: 28
    I enjoyed the men that "got" Richard, but two that tended to be placed close to Richard were Majors Hogan and Nairn.

Hogan was offically in the engineering corp, IIRC, but was obviously more of a spymaster/intelliegence officer. He was a sneaky, but funny, sonnuvagun that used Sharpe as much as Sharpe was using him.

Nairn, on the other hand, was obviously a savy man. He was an engineer, but he understood the politics of the chain of command and the class system. While he wasn't seeminly cruel in his ruthlessness, Nairn wasn't afraid to order men into danger, or possibly to their deaths.

Both were fascinating guys, and I liked both for their differences from the other. I find I enjoyed Hogan more while I liked Nairn,and I think that was the intent by the writers.

What about the rest of you?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

mysteryfan427

[2]Dec 29, 2005
    • level: 22
    I liked Hogan a lot, but I can't seem to remember who Nairn was. I've only seen two episodes ("Eagle" and "Company"), though I've read many of the books. Even though I've read the books, some of the characters blend together for me sometimes.

VerityJackson

[3]Dec 29, 2005
    • level: 28
    I'm guessing that when the movies after the first series were gearing up, Brian Cox wasn't available. That or Nairn was brought in in the books too, about this time.

Anyway, Michael Byrne was brought in as Maj. Nairn. He wasn't as fun,IMO, as Mr.Cox, but after watching his performances, and rewatching a couple, I have come to enjoy Maj. Nairn as well.

Mr. Cox comes back, so if you like Hogan, don't give up! *g*

I love Eagles, but if you can, get the first one- Sharpe's Rifles!

mysteryfan427

[4]Jan 25, 2006
    • level: 22
    After seeing more episodes, I now like Nairn a lot more than I used to (though I still prefer Hogan). It's too bad that he only appeared in three episodes.

P.S. I'm the editor for the show now!
    Edited on 02/06/2006 3:58am

cidhighwind100

[5]Sep 23, 2006
    • level: 2
    I like them both equally though I think Major Hogan had a better first impression on me

SkirmisherS

[6]Jan 17, 2009
    • level: 1

There was also Majors Munro and Major General Ross. These two come later in the series