Shelley Duvall's Faerie Tale Theatre

Showtime (ended 1987)

RoxieVelma

Shelley Duvall's Faerie Tale Theatre Fan Reviews (3)

• When discussing these shows with a group of adults, it was clear that there was no 'best' or 'worst' episode of this show. Everyone had their unique memory of different episodes that inspired them. Yet, no one could recall an episode they didn't like.

Fairie Tale Theatre is one of the first things that I will collect the moment I find out I am with child. (Although, I have no plans as of now.) When I look back on my toddler years, this is one of the first things that comes to mind. I credit Fairie Tale Theatre with so much of the creativity that I posess today. (I'm a performer in film/television and theatre, and also paint.)

The stories are obviously timeless and Fairie Tale Theatre produced them masterfully. The performances are uncanny and written with charm, wit, and a deepness that children can understand yet, adults can still relate to.

I will be honest, I don't remember these shows instilling some great morals in me, or having some terriffic educational value. Educationally, you may consider that in elementary school the stories are covered and I remember feeling 'ahead of the class' when we got to each one.

Adults alike would not be dissappointed at reviewing these shows. They are entertaining and scenically designed for viewers of all ages. And, it is intriguing and entertaining to see so many acclaimed actors skillfully play these classic roles.

Whether you are a parent, college student, or senior citizen, this show is a-list recommended. It is a mystery to me why the show was ever cancelled, and why they have not attempted a reprise! But, who knows what could happen? When you wish hard enough, and believe in a little magic, dreams can come true, right?
  • The quality of the show varies according to the episodes. Some are fairly good while others are weak.

This isn't really one show but a collection of short movies. Each one uses different actors in different settings to recreate various fairy tales.

The quality of each varies according to the episode. Some, such as Beauty and the Beast, are well acted and could appeal to an adult viewer. Others, such as The Three Little Pigs, are unwatchable attempts passed off by half-talented Hollywood names who are more interested in getting the credit than actually producing something worthwhile. Many times it's because they fall into their own prejudice of what a fairy tale is. Special effects are limited, and the episodes come across as glorified stage plays. Anyone comparing this to Twighlight of the Ice Nymphs or any of the Golan Globus movies would be disappointed.

I would not recommend buying the whole series but rather catching them as aired on TV by recording them then watching each on a select basis. I don't want it to seem that I'm trashing the series, just pointing out that the quality varies with who is performing it and who created it.
  • Faerie tales are brought into lush, loving life by Shelly Duvall and her friends.

I heard about this series and thought it might be fun to see Big Name Celebrities have fun with faerie tales. I figured my daughter would think it was silly fun. Eighteen or so years later and I am waiting for this series on dvd!

Not every episode is a jewel, but knowing I can see Christopher Reeve as Prince Charming is a teeny comfort. Mick Jagger as an Asian Emperor is delightful! Joan Collins as Hansel and Gretel's stepmother is a hoot! Ben Vereen as Puss In Boots is fun!

If you can see any of this series, do so!