I've never actually watched a single episode of this show. I've always had some other show I was following. Well, now I'm looking for a new series to follow. Convince me I should watch this and I'll stick it in my Netflix/iTunes/Amazon queue.

Looking for clips, pictures and discussion around why this show should be the next one on my watch list. I'll be asking the same of a few other communities. Which ever community convinces me the most, will be on my TV screen next week.

Also looking at Dexter and Breaking Bad

poll

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 1/12/2014

Season 3 : Episode 3

Comments (18)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Sherlock has many great things about it. It's best when it's either borrowing ideas and dialogue from the original Conan Doyle series or letting Cumberbatch and Freeman run with the dialogue. They're perfect in every scene together. In my opinion, the VERY best episode is actually the unaired pilot, which you can find floating about online pretty easily. It's similar to the actual pilot, but tighter and better written. However, The Great Game is also an ingenious little series of cases one right after the other with lots of hat tips to the books.

However, at the risk of drawing some fans' ire, I would suggest skipping Scandal in Belgravia. It's a complete embarrassment of the original story. Irene Adler is turned into some kind of bondage stripper... ghastly perversion of the gracious, elegant lady that is The Woman. Also, ridiculousness with the love angle between her and Sherlock. Despite some flashes of great dialogue between Sherlock and Watson, definitely the bottom of the barrel for the series. I sincerely hope they don't bring her back.

Also, at the further risk of drawing even more ire, I found Moriarty annoying. Imagine the Joker, but take out the scary part and leave the annoying behind. In the books, Moriarty was a villain with gravitas. This gigglier, gayer Moriarty is completely unconvincing. He calls Sherlock "Honey." That typifies Sherlock at its worst---trite, cheap pabulum unworthy of its source material. But then you get moments of pure genius too with what Cumberbatch and Freeman bring to their characters. I would say Freeman is hands-down the best Watson I've ever seen. For Holmes I would still go with Basil Rathbone, who seemed to be the perfect combination of carelessness and intensity. This Holmes is more immature than the Holmes of the books. However, they preserve the power of his deduction very faithfully.

All in all, I would try the series and see how you like it. I guarantee you'll love parts of it, but other parts might be a matter of taste.
More+
Flag
I'd say in terms of quality both Sherlock and Breaking Bad are consistently better than Dexter as Dexter has some weak seasons (certainly season 6 was awful and depending who you ask anything after season 3/4). In comparison to the other two, Dexter is a bit soapy even the violence in it is normally 'easier' to watch (more classic serial killer / bloody murder fare) than Breaking Bad which can be hard core psychologically too in addition to pretty nasty characters (this is meth dealing so no illusions of happy endings).

Sherlock is just 6 episodes in total (though feature length, 90 mins each I think) and they are pretty self-contained so that is easier to watch that first. The writing is top notch and so is the acting by perfectly cast Sherlock, Watson, Mycroft and Lestrade.

Breaking Bad is TV at its best - i particularly enjoy the visual aspects, the photography is extraordinary. The writing (both character development and story plots - this very much unlike Dexter which is often sloppy) and acting are excellent but it is pretty dark. Not without humour (dark one of course) but you do need a strong stomach.
More+
Flag
Staff
I think all you need is to watch Episode 1 & you'll convince yourself. I was hooked from the first 5 minutes :)
Flag
Exactly! That scene at the mortuary with S whipping a corpse was just perfect
Flag
I'd say shoot for all three, but on the topic of Sherlock, there are only six episodes currently, each one feeling more like a movie. This acting is outstanding. Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman both have become very in demand actors. Especially Cumberbatch. He was in Star Trek 2, and will be in 12 Years A Slave, Hobbit 2, August:Osage County, The Fifth Estate, and Hobbit 3. Supporting actors including Mark Gatiss, Rupert Graves, and Andrew Scott make very scene enjoyable. Smart, snappy dialogue by writers like Gatiss, Steven Moffat, and Stephen Thompson keep the pace interesting. Oh, and you will laugh, the show has great wit. This is the best Sherlock adaptation out there right now (better than Elementary and yes, better than the RDJ movies.), it is definitely worth your time.
Flag
i totally agree
Flag
Because Renee loves it. For me, the Sherlock/Watson pairing is perfect.
Flag
Staff
It's better than Mad Men.
Flag
Staff
A liar says what?
Flag
Staff
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_livy8zwzt71qgq9fxo1_500.png
Flag
Like Ben45tpy already said. You really show watch all 3 of them. All 3 shows have brilliant lead actors who will amaze you with their performances.

Breaking Bad is the best American show I ever saw, and it will probably take a very long time for another show to throw Breaking Bad of it's Throne. The writing is brilliant, the acting is superb (esp. Bryan Cranston, Aaron Paul & Giancarlo Esposito) and like Ben45tpy said, all episodes are consistently excellent throughout all seasons. So start with the pilot of Breaking Bad. I was hooked after 5 minutes, so I am pretty sure you will be hooked after watching the pilot episode. Can't tell you much more, just watch & enjoy the ride!

Dexter was really amazing television in the first 2 seasons. Most Dexter fans probably prefer season 4 however. (brilliant acting of John Lithgow) The reason I was easily hooked on Dexter was probably the fact that I always have been interested in serial killers. But I never thought I would care this much for a serial killer. Dexter is a really compelling character and you are really rooting for him from the start. You know it's wrong, but you will root for him anyhow. The difference between Dexter & the other 2 shows is that Michael C Hall carries most of the weight of the series (with some great performances of Jennifer Carpenter & John Lithgow (only season 4). But if you like a great drama with some disturbing kill-scenes and funny, dark situations, you can't miss out on this show. The biggest reason that I think season 3, 5 & 6 haven't got the same excellence as season 1,2,4 is that the writers have a hard time to give interesting stories to the supporting actors. And the big reveal wasn't very surprising in season 6. Season 7 however was again of a higher quality, it had some mistakes, but again esp. the stories of the supporting cast is the biggest issue. So I would really recommend you to watch the first 2 seasons, and if you didn't like them very much, you shouldn't continue watching.

Benedict Cumberbatch is really amazing as the modern day Sherlock. Nobody wants to have an argument with him, because you just know there is no way you can win. (I think it would be amazing to see a discussion between Cumberbatch's Sherlock, Hugh Laurie's Dr. House & Jim Parsons' Sheldon)
I never really liked British series, but Sherlock is a must-see-show! There are currently only 6 episodes, but each episode feels like a movie. The writing is great, the acting is better (esp. the roles of Sherlock & Watson) & the show is amazing!

So my conclusion is, you should watch them all! I would also recommend The Wire & Game of Thrones. The Wire is the only show who can reach the same level as Breaking Bad, although The Wire is more realistic than BB. Hope this helped!

More+
Flag
Sherlock would win. House will simply trick/lie/con Sheldon into leaving the discussion because let's face it, Sheldon isn't that street smart and House will run circles around him. Sherlock then observes House with his limp. He'll also notice the tiniest bit of sweat in House's brow, a slight hand tremor while holding his walking stick, and a cylindrical bulge in his right pant pocket. He correctly deduces that House is addicted to pain killers and simply offers him free Vicodin in exchange for winning the discussion.
Flag
brilliant!
Flag
Why not all of them?After all Sherlock is only 6 episodes long so far.
Flag
I love both Dexter and Sherlock, even if i heart goes more with Sherlock. It's just a really funny, modern interpretation of the Conan Doyle's characters. Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman are both amazing actors. Looking at one episode it's adopting it.
Flag
You should watch them all. Sherlock is less serialised than the others and has had much fewer episodes aired so far, making it easier to get through. It's ingenious and faithful to the spirit of the original stories.
Flag
My support goes to Sherlock... here's an interaction between Sherlock and Watson in season 1 that displays the show's great writing:
Flag
Both great writing and great performances.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members