As in the discussion posts by Gislef and me on The Empty Hearse and The Sign of Three, we have no reason to wait until "His Last Vow" is shown in the US and seen by staff. Those who have seen it, let's discuss!
Comments (38)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Calling it now: Mycroft new that Moriarty was alive all along. He used Magnussen's vault of secrets to find dirt that would keep Moriarty away. Which is why Mycroft wanted Sherlock to leave Magnussen alone. Now with Magnussen dead, Moriarty is free to return and cause chaos.
Flag
Knew not new. Darn lack of edit button. :(
Flag
Thought you guys would enjoy the final few minutes of this Drunk Reaction video... I've set it up to start at 17:05 to get right to the fun reveals:

Flag
Staff
I feel like I had the SAME exact reactions!
Flag
Great find, loved it. I even watched the rest of the video. They are cute (end not drunk as they themselves obviously want us to think).
Flag
saw an interview with lars mikkelson. Dude has a cockney accent. that was trippy.
Flag
I found this season a bit disappointing.
Flag
I found it very interesting, the way they ended Season 3.

So in a way, both Sherlock and Moriarty had plans to dupe each other on their supposed "death"s ? Sherlock did not wait and check if Moriarty was really dead, if I remember well, he was too busy at that moment trying to stage his won "death".

So in a way, both managed to outwit each other.
Flag
anderson's explanation accounted for moriarty's missing body. so it stands to reason that moriarity's in the wind too. OR the other probable explanation is that it's some one in his organization that Sherlock didn't account for much like the way moriarity didnt count molly hooper. I say that because if it was moriarty, why use an animated face?
Flag
But are you sure that the last explanation Sherlock gave to Watson was the/a correct one? There is some doubt and if there is another reality, Moriarty might not have died (staged his own death) in the way we were told.
Flag
So Maria is an aged Nikita? Awesome.
I loved the episode like the previous ones until we got to the end and Moffat shows my brain the finger. So likeable, that guy!
Off-switch on a bomb? No probs, 'tis funny!
People get stabbed and don't feel a thing? Wasn't hard to come up with, mate!
And now the great Magnussen stores tons of leverage in his ... brain. And only there. Hm. Since it was a well hidden secret I let that pass but why on earth did he tell Sherlock? Hey, listen Sherlock: Maria and everyone else I have leverage on is safe forever - you just have to put a fuckin' bullet in my head. Well played August, well played.
Seriously, I love that show but it kept naggin' on me but it didn't ruin the experience completely for that it was in great parts very funny and brilliant too.

Flag
first words out of sherlock's mouth as he steps out of the plane "I can't leave you even for 5 minutes!"
Flag
watch the second episode last night. oh drunk sherlock is just about the greatest thing you'll see. Better be on the Top 100 of 2014 on TV.com.
Flag
Welllll, a good episode. Mary is an amazingly well etched-out character, and Abbington played it quite well!
As awesome the acting, the plots, the humor and all that jazz were for this episode and season, I have a few qualms about it -
1. The Hamartia - What was with that gun in Watson's pocket that was used to kill Magnussen? I mean how in the hell would the people not frisk Sherlock-Watson duo before they're let in into the house? They were frisked when he went to meet them, and they well should be considering how it's "all in the head"! I'm disappointed! :/
2. Why the secrecy? - When are we gonna find out how he really faked his own death?! What's with the obsessive secrecy on that? Hope it's not another 2 years before we find anything out about that.
Yeah, so that was all my ranting. I love the series, and I really do not want to turn sad. Love me some intelligent, mind-boggling turning to the point of madness TV, and Sherlock is like that. :P Haha. I know I'm exaggerating a bit.
Anyhoooo, inputs on the points above?
Flag
I had the same question regarding the gun, but as Sherlock is not a physical violent type that will strangle someone, he needs a weapon. They might have gone for something that was more like him, like something he scouted in the house using his Sherlock-abilities.

I have no specific idea why they would keep the reality around his death a secret. At the end of the first episode they kinda gave us an idea how it might have bee, but Moriarty was definitely dead in that one. Moffat might think it is part of the Sherlock myth to keep it vague.
Flag
Ummm, considering Sherlock not a violent type of a person wouldn't be quite correct, coz the actual Doyle works do show the guy to be quite strong and physically adept of holding his own in a fight, but he doesn't show very obviously, only when the need arises him to be physical. (I hope you do know the famous Reichenbach Fall story about the fight between him and Moriarty) And Sherlock has been largely and quite correctly based on the same, so I would like to think that he does have those capabilities, just that none of the plot lines in the show made him execute the same. Yes, it would've made the killing of Magnussen all the more exciting if he'd snagged something else from his place or even used some sort of martial arts (as is shown in the Sherlock Holmes movie adaptations) to slay him. :) I would've been okay even if he'd snatched a gun from any of the guards in the house or wherever.

Regarding Moriarty being back, I'm also quite skeptical of his return. He was shown to shot himself in the head via the mouth. You can't not die from that! :O So, Moriarty's clip in the end would just be to keep everyone guessing till Season 4 comes and puts us out of our miseries! :D Which I don't think is needed for a series of this potential, coz hello.. who in their right minds would give up on a series like Sherlock!

Ah well, Season 4 better not take another 2 years. :)
More +
Flag
Better than the previous two but still miles away from the quality of the first two seasons.
Flag

Flag
Oh yes, a worthy adversary. I also thought he was great playing dead in that round cell.
Flag
I can't just believe it. Mary, come on! It was the best episode ever
Flag
I watched all 3 episodes today and loved all of them. People in the USA can watch them if they know where to look. I thought there was something strange about Mary but I couldn't put my finger on what it was (she was to on top of things--I wondered about her decoding the message but then blew off my concerns).

Someone just posted they were glad no one died but didn't newspaper owner* with the mind palace die? I hope the series doesn't end with Sherlock getting in trouble for killing him* after Sherlock deals with whatever is going on with Moriarty's "viral campaign" about "do you miss me".

I love this show. I also hope they find a good way to honor Sherlock when John and Mary's baby is born.

Despite what we learned about Mary, I actually like her more and definitely find her more interesting. Also I truly think she loves John and will do what she can to help him a sherlock (maybe I am wearing rose tinted glasses).

I've been so intrigued by Sherlock's relationship with his brother. Did I miss something but was their another brother~~Mycroft implied something to that effect and I'm mind blanking on what he is referencing.

How many episodes are scheduled for this season? Is it 4?
More+
Flag
Well none of the main characters died. I don't think villains count... And Sherlock did get in trouble. He was supposed to basically go on a suicide mission to Eastern Europe. The only reason this didn't happen was Moriarty. This implies that the murder already got covered up - there was no trial, just what I guess was some sort of classified hearing that determined Sherlock's fate. Murderer's of media moguls normally don't just get send onto top secret MI6 missions. That probably concludes this storyline, but Sherlock is always good for a surprise, so who knows what will happen next season.

Yes, Mycroft implied that there was another brother... this one's open for specualtion 'till next season, 'cause this one's over. It's always 3 episodes. There's a non-canonical third Holmes brother, Sherrinford. Here's what wikipedia has to say about him:

Sherrinford Holmes
Flag
So glad no one died.
LOVE that marry is a CIA assassin
Flag
Also loved Sherlock in love. it was so funny
Flag
I don't think he is in love~~not with Jeninne (sp?)
Flag
I know he wasn't but him pretending was hilarious
Flag
First of all: I loved it (what else).

Second: I really wouldn't want to be in America right now. The third episode's early reveal about Mary really changes how you view the other two episodes. It spoils them even more then the Moriarty cliffhanger.

Was I the only one that thought that the end scene was kind os silly? Or maybe it was just the mood whiplash? Because we had the pretty touching goodbye and then suddenly it was like Moftiss (I just discovered this particular pormanteau. Love it.) were telling the viewers: Nah... Not really sending him away. Just joking. Here, have some Moriarty to make up new survival theories...

But all in all: I think this season (and this episode in particular) was very, very good. It was very hard to live up to the hype after two years of waiting, but I think they managed just fine. "His Last Vow" is a great ride of fantastic twists and turns, touching moments, funny moments, and lots of shockers.
Flag
Well if Moriarty is still alive then the second theory of how Sherlock survived seems the most plausible now.
Flag
I'm in America and have seen all three episodes;-)
Flag
And, do you know no what really happened at the end of season 2 and Sherlock's dead?
Flag
With regard to Mary - I CALLED IT!!

Want proof- http://www.tv.com/shows/sherlock/community/post/sherlock-discuss-the-sign-of-three-here-spoilers-1388962555/

I actually preferred the last episode, but if you view all 3 as a reset they were all good.
There may be some complaints about the last 20 minutes, but as I said, if you view the last 3 episodes as a reset, there isn't too much to complain about
Flag
I binged them and agree with your assessment of "if you view the last 3 episodes as a reset, there isn't too much to complain about".
Flag
Yes, you called it. Still love the screencap you made. Just out of curiosity: what do you think people might have to complain about in the last 20 minutes, because nothing really comes to my mind?
Flag
The way the case ended and just seemed to be a set up for the next season.
The bad guy ended up being a disappointment - as he said himself, just a businessman
Flag
He was a big disappointment for me too.The opening with him was very intriguing but then the focus of the episode changed to Mary's identity and they missed the opportunity to give us another great villain.
Flag
I don't know. I certainly wasn't disappointed. Magnussen was a very interessting, though also pretty disgusting villain. Yes, in the end he turned out to be pretty ordinary in his villainy hubris - he didn't even listen to his own advice - it's important to KNOW. Once Sherlock (or anybody he was blackmailing, really) knew that there wasn't any physical evidence, his life was basically forfeit (people don't react very well to blackmail and humiliation). I see your point.
Flag
Now that was a bit different from last weeks and it was different from last years. Not 30 minutes of humour and not a real client for a case. Did I like it: yes, although I might still need some time to adapt and have it sink in.

There was enough humour to give us that old level again that we were so familiar with. I especially loved the interaction between Sherlock and Mycroft: still two children trying to be the best. We got some good new insights on their relationship.

In the end, we had a three episode arc and that also was new but I liked it because it was done in a Sherlocky way of not giving away to much and gradually revealing it over the episodes. Like Sherlock showed us, there had been enough clues over the previous episodes. Will we ever find out who she was or do we, like Watson, not mind at all.

The fact that Sherlock had to come back because Moriarty made a last minute appearance (next to playing dead in that round tower cell), aligns nicely with the @patsully post on the fact that season 4 and 5 have been plotted out. The good news seems to be that indeed Sherlock will be beck for a next season, both actors would not have agreed on an ending like this otherwise.

More+
Flag
Follow this Show
Members