No reason to wait until the 19th or so when staff sees the episode in the U.S. and/or posts a review. Those who have seen it, let's discuss!
Comments (53)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
The ending felt a bit disjointed...but everything else was very entertaining. I just love seeing how emotionally clueless Sherlock is with Watson.
Flag
I was ready to hate Mary, as new characters often disrupt the dynamics between the rest of the cast. For me, she was a surprising highlight in both episodes! I love her!!!!!

#Team-MARY
Flag
Staff
I feel like I need to rewatch it again to get everything but I liked it! I loved the fake-out at the beginning which turned out to just be someone explaining how they thought Sherlock did it. The theories were the best part!
Flag
I think that we've all become way too quick to criticise everything. I mean, I myself am guilty of it. This last year in particular, after spending way too much time reading critics thoughts on various sites, not just TV.com, I too now find myself going into an hour of television with scepticism. "Ooh, I wonder how they'll f*** this one up?" is just one of the numerous thoughts going through my head as I sit in my "critic attack pose" and watch the latest instalment of whatever TV show I happen to be a "fan" of. It seems as though lately "being a fan" no longer means kicking back an enjoying the ride, it's now somehow become a twisted way of trying to resist the urge to mock or at least pick an hour of television (TELEVISION!) apart like an hungry Hyena!
What's happened to us? Why do we get these angry, spiteful urges? Have we all just become eternal hecklers and pessimists? Or have we reached a time in the "golden age of television" when a show can no longer meet our high (and often unrealistic) expectations? Is this a domino effect that starts with that one critic or fan pointing out something that bothered them, quite often something trivial that we wouldn't have usually noticed, so we hop on the bandwagon? Or is there an "inner critic", or hackler just waiting to spew hate or nit pick now permanently residing in all of us?
Just some of the things that crossed my mind after watching Sherlock's return and reading a few reviews and comments.

It's been 2 years and the show finished on one hell of a FTW cliffhanger - was it really bound to live up to all of our expectations upon its return? And was it fair of us to expect it to?

More+
Flag
I honestly try not to read too much reviews because of this exact thing. I study literature, so I know that one of the most fun things there is in this particular course of study is a lively discussion and picking apart a text. But too much of it can really ruin the pure enjoyment of something, be it literature, music, film or any other artistic expression. I tend to be cynical - my first critical thought about TEH was: SOOO... Moftiss didn't know how to live up to the expectations, or they painted themselves in a corner - so they did what the Moff also always does on Who - just don't deal with it, gloss over it and garnish with some ridiculessness and some plotholes and voila.

But that was the bitterness about not getting a clear answer speaking. Because I did enjoy it while watching. Very much so. Now I think the solution was actually pure genius: no, they couldn't have lived up to all the expectations. You can never please everyone. I think they forgot that they don't really have to please everyone, but that's beside the point. What they did was brilliant: they showed the fans how some of the theories would look played out, which was utterly enjoyable. It literally lived up to the expectations of the big resolution, by not actually giving it to us. Does that make sense?
More +
Flag
It makes perfect sense and I agree with you completely. I thoroughly enjoyed the episode. I love the fact that they did all the fan theories and that even the last one wasn't exactly confirmed. Instead it was just Sherlock telling us only the version that he wanted us to know. For me, it was perfect. It filled me with glee and made me laugh. The whole episode was a treat.
Then, I saw some of the negative reviews and comments and the complaints regarding the "cop-out" and the "way too easy off switch" I just rolled my eyes and though: "Typical!"
You are absolutely right about how reviews can often take away from our enjoyment or just ruin our experience. Like I said, since I started actively reading reviews of my favourite shows, I started to find myself becoming bitter and cynical, often criticising things because the reviews have somehow conditioned me to do so even though I enjoyed the material. I seriously think that the majority of people who write reviews tend to always look for the negative in order to make themselves look more credible. I know it's part of their job to do that though. I mean they don't call them "critics" for nothing!
However, from now on, I choose to not let these peoples reviews ruin my enjoyment. I choose to be be honest with myself and if I enjoy something, I will not let them sway my opinion. :-)
P.S. Thank you for your reply. I'm glad someone agrees and understands how I feel.
More +
Flag
Loved it! Enjoyed every second! This truly was one for the fans. Well done Sherlock!
Flag
I was overjoyed with this episode! I think the comedy was great! Sure the character stuff overshadowed the case this episode, but I didn't mind that either. When I really love a show, it's because I love the characters. So while the crime solving is really interesting, I get more excited for big character developments. I thought it was hilarious that Sherlock thought it would be fun to surprise John. And my favorite part of the episode was this scene right here. When they were dealing with the ticking time-bomb, I was just waiting with bated breath to hear John say, "I love you." Was that just me?
Flag
I think this was more of a fan episode and this week's episode will be the real beginning of the season.I myself tremendously appreciated the humorous scenes, especially the head butt Watson gave Sherlock, who was being very meek for a change. Of course, him being detained in a Russian camp was a wink at the Bond movie and there were here and there references to other movies and shows which were very well integrated.
What I really like , though is that it is airing in the UK at the same time as the new episodes of Elementary are in the Us and I saw both one after the other and there it becomes fascinating comparing both.
Flag
And the discussion on the second episode of tonight can start here. It was about the same set-up as the first episode: 30 minutes of comedy and then the mix up of the wedding and the crime. It only started to become really Sherlocky in the last fifteen minutes regrettably. I'm still thinking if that's enough.

Who also saw Matt Smith's doctor doing the part of the speech in between the tables when he was trying to figure out who would be the victim?

Overall, I enjoyed watching it but I hope next weeks episode will be the old Sherlock of last season.
Flag
I'll create a new thread for Sign of Three. Alternately, anyone else can as well... No reason to combine it with a previous episode.
Flag
Good suggestion, I'll do it.
Flag
It's already done. :)
Flag
Love the show, it's a great comeback! :)
Flag
It seems more important with this season to see the rest of the episodes to judge this one more fairly.
The case was basically non-existent but I saw it as a big homecoming party for the fans. It was welcome, now let's see what they got in store for us tonight...
Flag
It was okay. A bit more hasty than previously done, almost reminiscent of the latest Dr. Who episodes.

Overdone fan service, heavy emphasis on comedy, and underwhelming deus ex machina/cop outs seem to be Moffat's thing these days.

I don't know what's going on, but if Sherlock winds up going off kilter as much as Dr. Who has been (atleast to me), then....then....i'll just be sad, b/c i'll still watch and there's nothing I can do.

What i don't want to see is the same devolution Dr. Who took (again, IMO) in that Sherlock needs not become this extreme hollywoodized version of itself that panders to elementary school children and Sherlock fans. It just needs to be itself, if that makes sense. I feel as if Moffat & his team have become too "big" to the point where quality seems to be affected. I'll just have to wait and see the rest of the episodes, really.
Flag
Exactly my feelings for both Doctor Who and Sherlock.
First of all the two characters are kind of interchangeable now which for me can't be a good sign and second and most important Moffat gave them both superhero status which for some people may be a plus but for me it just subtracts from the authenticity and magnitude of their achievements and the characters in general.
Flag
"...Sherlock needs not become this extreme hollywoodized version of itself that panders to elementary school children..."
Pun intended? Because of the other show, Elementary? I guess not, but I had to laugh at that.lol
Flag
this was a shakespearean episode , with mixed emotions ..
Flag
To me the whole episode was a bit like that handsome one night stand you meet on the road, who charms his way out of the fact that he left without his phone number. Its charming, funny and amusing, not something worth waiting for 2 years
Flag
I quiet enjoyed it, it was more light hearted then the pervious seasons. The end felt a bit of a cop out (the off switch) but really the entire episode was to focus on Sherlock and Watson's return.
Flag
Off switch for the bomb, that has to be the stupidest way to ever to stop a bomb by the writers.
Flag
I really enjoyed the episode. I loved all the different survival theories there were, and also appreciated that Anderson felt guilty about believing the worst of Sherlock and thus was the biggest contributor of these theories. I was expecting there to be a lot of disappointment after this episode because there so often is when a show is so anticipated, but I personally thought it was handled really well, and I look forward to the next two episodes. Also, I loved John's fiance! I'm glad she wasn't written as a character who would try to come between Sherlock and Watson.
Flag
I have watched it 3 times now and although I was disappointed on the first viewing, which I expected due to the 2 years of intense anticipation for its return. Now I have re-watched the entire show again I can safely say its my third favorite episode and it gets better with every watch. Why people are nitpicking at all the small details. When it people stop appreciating things for what they are? it's 90 mins of entertaining telly, not a serious realife story open to debate! Even if I am in the minority and every other 'FAN' hates it, it's still better TV than anything else I've seen.
Flag
Good episode but I did feel like Sherlock was not really like old sherlock. Maybe that was by design but it felt like he was too busy trying to be funny than solve problems.
Flag
I felt that Sherlock was completely out of character for most of the episode. It felt like an alternate reality comedy piece.
Flag
For me, Sherlock has always been a bit of a (unnecessarily so) d**k, to John especially, but in 3x01 he felt out right cruel to John trying to dismiss all his (very legit) complains with humour. And why didn't he tell John at some point, it seems everyone else knew.
My main problem although was that this seemed like a perfect opportunity for some great drama and instead we got some awkward humour.
He never has to apologise for anything (not really), he never has to thank anyone (Mycroft), everyone seems to flock around him no matter what, it's like Sherlock isn't allowed any character growth what so ever.

...and i like the moustache, i'm i alone in this?!
Flag
I don't know if you're alone, but I'm not on board with the mustache. Mrs. Hudson is right, it ages him.
Flag
I was disappointed with the episode.Yeah, some parts were pretty funny but as a whole this was the worst episode of Sherlock so far IMO.
Flag
I enjoyed the humor, but the case itself was a disappointment
Flag
ABSOLUTELY DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT YET. FULL OF SPOILERS (Should be obvious, but I thought I'd give an additional warning)

I loved it a lot, but was also a bit disappointed. The cynic in me thought that not revealing how Sherlock actually survived the fall was a cop out from the showrunners. They painted themselves in a corner, and we all know what Steven Moffat does when he's done that: not actually deal with it. He's done this on Doctor Who, now he's done it on Sherlock.

But that's all I really have to complain about. (Ok, so it also dragged a tiny little bit in the middle, but then it got better.) The rest of the episode was pretty great. There was much to love about it. I don't mind that they mostly focused on Sherlock coming back. His and John's relationship is an integral part of the show, just as important as a good case. I was prepared to dislike Mary, but I should have known better: She's fantastic. The restaurant scene was a wonderful combination of heartwarming and funny (My main thought was: OH, Sherlock, you really have no idea how to act like a normal human being...) Also: John's reaction. Mary's reaction. John puniching him. Three times! And even though they didn't actually give us the actual scenario of the fall, I kind of loved all the red herrings, IDEK WHY. I would have loved them more if the last one had turned out to be what actually happened, but oh well. Also loved the other reactions to Sherlock: Lestrade hugging him and Mrs Hudson screaming. And then of course there were all the scenes with Sherlock and Mycroft. I almost died of laughter when Sherlock said he used to think he was an idiot... and then they met other people.

All in all it was a very nice return for Sherlock.
More+
Flag
I really enjoyed the new episode. Personally it makes me a little bit sad that it got such a "fanservice" Stigma b/c for me it didn't feel like just pleasing fans but getting less qualitative. The crazy or wild theories of HOW he might have survided were leading back to fangirls or Andersons Imagination which means they're definitely not real and so pretty perfect that way and makes a good comedy part. Sherlock seems to be more sensitive than normally which i lead back to a lot of time of complete Isolation so it makes good sense for me too. The Intergration of Mary was very well done, she absolutely don't ruin the Team Chemistry which I'm very grateful for but i fear Team Mofftiss have something in store for us with her Storyline. Sherlocks deduction of her being allegedly a LIAR can't go back to only John's Moustache b/c that we already knew before so why he would deduct something that have been already figured out? I think she has a much darker secret .....well lets wait and see.....
Flag
I'll have to re-watch the episode because I didn't notice any dark undertones to Sherlock's assertion of Mary, but I really hope she's not a 'baddie' - I liked her character! That being said, it could be a good story line and well noticed by you if true!
Flag
Sadly she is....well sort of ;)
Flag
I know! Well done, you clever person :p Saying that, I still like her as a character.
Flag
Well played indeed i just don't like how easily John let her off the hook for shooting his best friend even if she saved his Life after....technically
Flag
It felt like a real fan episode. The case was the least interesting part and the first 30 minutes were just Sherlock coming back. I laughed out loud on the sequence of reactions by Watson and the restaurants: every time he hit Sherlock they were obviously kicked out and had to go to a greasier one. As some of the other commenters also said: it also felt like setting up the other two episodes. Watson's girlfriend does fit in with the two and that might make her a great addition to the cast. I liked the small details like the kid who was the only one who heard Watson trying to scream and said "Guy Fawkes, he doesn't like it".
Flag
I enjoyed it very much but it was very unlike any previous Sherlock episode in that the actual case probably took only 1/3 of the episode and the focus was on Sherlock's return, how he survived the fall (which I still didn't get and I am not even sure if I am supposed to....) and the various reactions from people esp. Watson. This whole thing was pure fun for fans though some may find it a bit self-indulgent. Great scenes with Watson, with Watson's girlfriend who, against any expectation, is awesome and with Mycroft. Even Sherlock's parents make a bit of a cameo (and there is a bit of a story behind the actors playing the parents too)... As for the case, it wasn't terribly interesting but it felt as set up for the next episodes as it hinted at some new big baddie who wants to play with Sherlock... So.... Bring it on!
Flag
To answer the question some might have: the parents were played by his real life parents.
Flag
Well, I've got the recap up. I'll see if I can do a review later.
Flag
A really great episode. The duo Sherlock John is finally formed back and it's good. We met John's fiancee Mary and I personally like her. A little thing less good was Sherlock's explanation of his fake suicide.
Flag
I was blown away by the first third of the episode, I only just really liked the remaining part. I particularly enjoyed the death faking fan-theory scenes- only Sherlock can pull off something like that so hilariously and beautifully.In summary, the episode was better than almost all of the tv I watched last year. Martin Freeman and Benedict Cumberbatch are TV pair gold (I'm in Nigeria btw).
Flag
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    People's List
    NEW
    ABC
  • 9:00 pm
    20/20: In an Instant Murder in the Maternity Ward
    NEW
    ABC