PBS could tell it was a hazy, sad day in Los Angeles, so the network decided to give me the TV equivalent of a dozen cupcakes (with sprinkles!) by finally announcing the U.S. premiere date for Sherlock Season 3: Sunday, January 19 at 10pm! It will premiere right after a new Season 4 episode of Downton Abbey, which has its own Stateside premiere on January 5. 

Production on Season 3 of the hit BBC series was delayed because of some obscure movies that series stars Martin Freeman and Benedict Cumberbatch just had to appear in. Like anything is more important than the bromance between Sherlock Holmes and John Watson. So thank God those are behind us, because movies are stupid, and because obviously we need to know how Sherlock survived that fall from the roof in the Season 2 finale. WE NEED TO KNOW. It feels like a billion years have passed since that happened. Is it January yet?

How do you think Sherlock survived? Also, be honest, did you pee your pants when you read the headline?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 1/12/2014

Season 3 : Episode 3

72 Comments
Comments (72)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Seriously?!?? I just can't wait THAT long. I need my Cumberbatch/Freeman fix and the Hobbit isn't giving it to me on Sherlock's level. Drat...
Flag
PBS and BBC are saying that after the griping about the lag between UK and US schedule of Dowton, they are going to try to air Sherlock at about the same time in the two countries.

However, BBC might be slightly earlier. But they have also ruled out a Christmas special.
Flag
Finally!

I thought this time might as well never come, with both guys having been grabbed and squezeed by the evil Hollywood monster for so long. But at last they've managed to free themselves from its mighty grasp, even if just for a short while.

There is a good chance that the UK premiere happens earlier, meaning even less of a wait time. And it had better not be the last season...
Flag
great we've been waiting for too long
Flag
OMG Best news of the day, definitely.
Flag
YES. YES. YES . YES AND HELL YEAH.
Flag
About time!!
Good thing that before Jan, we still have The Fifth Estate and The hobbit!
Flag
Best new, trying to set my DVR now.
Flag
Let us rejoice and be glad!! I predict I'll be arriving late to work on Monday mornings next year
Flag
What!? Sherlock's premiering on the date of my birth! Best birthday gift ever!
Flag
YES.
Flag
How the hell can we not have an air date yet? I have to assume some time in November right?
Flag
Finally! But I am actually quite disappointed since I read somewhere that it would air in late fall, but ok I think I can wait till January... I guess... Probably... Dammit now you got me overexcited again!
Flag
Huzzah. I don't think I can re-watch the previous episodes on Netflix even once more. Well, maybe just once more...
Flag
Oh, I'm excited! But I'm gonna watch it through nefarious means with my across the Pond fam just like the last two times, lol. Then I can watch the PBS version and point out where all the excellent scenes have been cut in the US version!
Flag
Scenes cut? It sounds like they want you to download it from the UK airings.
Flag
I need to give this show a second chance, I tried watching it before but I thought it was boring.
Flag
Just blacked out for a second because of overexcitement
Flag
"Did you pee your pants[...]?"

Does that question really need to be asked?
Flag
"...we need to know how Sherlock survived that fall..."

I hated that scene at first, because I thought it was obvious that he couldn't have survived. Then I read a comment somewhere about how it's not that hard to figure out if you rewatch the scene. So I did, and found that they were right. I had remembered the scene all wrong. Now I think that the scene is wonderful, because it is clear that he could have faked it. I just focused on all the wrong things the first time.
Flag
I must still be focused on all of the wrong things and I've watched the whole series a few times... What should I be looking at?
Flag
I think the most important detail to notice is that when we see Sherlock looking at Watson, we see that there's A BUILDING between Watson's location and the place where Sherlock supposedly hit the ground. So Watson didn't see what Sherlock landed on, and had to go around the building to get to the body. That's the part I totally missed when I saw it the first time. The building didn't seem relevant at the time, and I guess that's why it didn't get stored in my long-term memory. So when I thought about the scene later, I was sure that Watson would have seen Sherlock hit the ground. But he couldn't have.

I don't remember everything, since it's been a long time, but Mintberry Crunch's description below is roughly how I remember it.
Flag
It's been a while but I think he asks a medical person (told you it's been a while) for something earlier in the episode, the thing he wants is a cadaver. He drops off the building into the rubbish truck (garbage truck) that is seen pulling away as Watson turns the corner. The body left is his cadaver and unrecognisable from the apparent fall.

I am missing bits and can barely remember but that's the best I could puzzle out at the time.
Flag
Thank ya thank ya... Now to watch it again
Flag
yeah, doesn't he ask that girl who's always had a crush on him and he's always insulting
Flag
OMG OMG OMG I cannot breathe! I'm so glad it finally has an official premiere date. And what are three short months in comparison to the quadrillion years we've already been waiting?
Flag
OMG! OMG! I am not sure I can wait that long!
Flag
It can't come soon enough!
Flag
Staff
Caught on late, zipped through it on Netflix. Still feels like I've been waiting forever. Excellent news.
Flag
I did!
Flag
Does it air earlier in the UK?
Flag
We now have UK info: after Christmas, but at the same time or slightly earlier than the US. (So, early January).
Flag
Yes. Check you listings, but I know it's starting pretty soon in the UK.
Flag
Ok, it seems I'm wrong -- no UK airdate yet. Although they do have a rights stipulation that they are allowed to air it before PBS in the US. Sorry.
Flag
Sherlock or Elementary? Why choose? They are both very entertaining modern takes on the characters.

I thought I wouldn't like Elementary, but the show has surprised me with it's quality. And the fact that Lucy Lu is friggin hot as hell doesn't hurt.
Flag
Elementary's Sherlock is also a lot more damaged than I gave him credit for, the last episode made me want to hunt whoever abused him into the Christian Grey of deductive thinking, and it gave a dark twist to Joan Watson if his relationships with Irene and Abigail are any hint.

Sherlock's Holmes is such an intellectual brat, I just know he'll be alright even if he never gets his friend back, Watson is the same old Watson (only younger) and there are no surprises, if only because the stories are the same old stories from the books (with a modern day twist).
Flag
I like Elementary very much I have to say (didn't think I would to be honest...) but Sherlock is simply amazing! What can I say... that hasn't been said already?

Cumberbatch and Freeman together are like a blazing sun, they are the perfect synergy!
Flag
Ahhh, finally!!! Only 88 days left! :-D

Already mentioned some thoughts about Sherlock's survival in another thread, speculating about Molly's involvement in that stunt somehow...
He must've thrown down some other body, Moriarty's corpse, anything – but considering it's Sherlock we're talking about, I guess I probably couldn't think up anything appropriately clever ;-)
Flag
So the UK will have it around Christmas time maybe?
Flag
Finally! It's been way too long since I've had a new episode of Sherlock on my tv.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members