Sherlock Forums

Sunday 8:00 PM on BBCBetween Seasons

Official Discussion Thread: The Reichenbach Fall (possible spoilers)

thechosenonecj

[1]Jan 15, 2012
    • level: 7

Really enjoyed it. Think we all knew he wasn't going to die thoughWink

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

silverscreenluv

[2]Jan 15, 2012
    • level: 5

I am so mad about that ending I can't even describe it. You can't just not explain how he did that! I'm sure there's some clever switch-up somewhere with a cadaver or something related to Molly, but come on! I call bs on that. Also, those assassins move amazingly fast. How are they chasing each other around assassinating each other and following everyone around holding cross-hairs on them? No one moves that fast with a giant rifle on their back when they don't know where they're going. This episode was stretching my ability to suspend disbelief. All I can say is this better come back for a series 3 and they better have a good explanation.

Sp3kkie

[3]Jan 16, 2012
    • level: 7

Spoilers

Man, did I like this episode. This was great television. First of all, I'm not really familiar with the Sherlock Holmes stories.

So the ending, at least the part of Moriarty shooting himself, I did not see coming. Somehow I still have doubts he is dead, thats what this show has done to me. However, I don't see anyway he could have faked that.

For Sherlocks death, I couldn't believe he was death, and he wasn't. I'm not entirely sure, but I think that it has something to do with Molly. And also with the kid who was kidnapped, I mean she must have seen him if she would yell like that. So in that case, there was somebody who looked like him or so. You could say maybe Jim Moriarty dressed up like him, but still, he is shorter then Sherlock so I wouldimaginea kid would remind that even under stress. Andsomehowthe biker who knocked Watson on the ground could be in on it too.

As far as the hitman and what the previous commenter said, I don't see the problem, they just follow Sherlock, so if Sherlock can make it somewhere, they can too. I had two other things about them I can't figure out. For one, two of them where shot, but somehow I thought that these two were two of the assassins who would have killed all Sherlocks friends. I am right or wrong.

The second thing is, Moriarty said that they only would stop if Sherlock jumped. Oke, I can believe that, but how do they all know if he jumped or not and when to kill the friends? Because only the one on Watson could have seen him jump, and I doubt if they phoneeach otherto tell that it is done. So why did the other two stop.

However this doesn't really matter to me. I found it a great 1.5 hours to watch. The acting, the story, everything was right. The timing and the speed of storytelling. Never a dull moment. I can't wait for the next season (if it comes), and I amcuriouson how they gonna explain Sherlock not being dead.

dpebbleson

[4]Jan 16, 2012
    • level: 23
    A great episode! I'm very eager to see how it happened that Sherlock survived, but as a poster above noticed, it could do with the fact that the girl recognized him, and also something with Molly. But knowing the show, one of these could be to distract us from an obvious solution...

Notice how Sherlock said to John to fix his eyes on him, as if he wanted to make sure John believed he was dead.

Maybe Sherlock threw someone else, since from the distance the person in that particular coat and with a wig could certainly resemble Sherlock well enough for John to believe it was him, while Sherlock could have gone down the stairs with face made up to resemble someone who just fell of a four or five storey building... There was certainly some sort of illusion, since in this show there aren't really fantastical elements, and that would be cheating. Everything has to be explained scientifically, as one of the forum-friends here likes to say it: order and method

pcdsa

[5]Jan 16, 2012
    • level: 12

Absolutely brilliant episode - scores a perfect 10. Very emotional between Sherlock and John and for ME at the end.

I too think Molly helped Sherlock. I think Sherlock knew that Moriaty wanted him to fall (JM told SH that when they met in the flat) from the building so planned something with Molly. From where he told John to stay and look at him, John could not see where he landed. I too think the cyclist running into John was deliberate.

So I think Sherlock will try to find the assassins before he reveals himself to John in order to keep him, Mrs Hudson and Lestrade safe. Desperately hoping we get a series 3...

------------

JW's blog has this for the 16th June entry

"He was my best friend and I'll always believe in him."

Edited on 01/16/2012 10:09am

Livingin2012

[6]Jan 16, 2012
    • level: 1
    Sherlock needed the doctor because she would be called to examine the body be it as witness and or/ mortician. This could have been the double that nabbed the little girl, which could have been dead Moriarty, with the doc who made alterations to the body while on the rooftop, or done ahead of time as stated by others. Moriartys death could also have been faked because a blank would not kill you used in combination with remote trigger splatter effects. One could possibly alter the gun slide to move by mechanics, include a built in speaker for 110db+ effect, and a small spark effects out of the barrel. The blood bag, receiver, and brain matter stored in a small pouch covered by synthetics, and the back. This done as a trick to retrick Holmes to jump.

dpebbleson

[7]Jan 16, 2012
    • level: 23

pcdsa wrote:

Absolutely brilliant episode - scores a perfect 10. Very emotional between Sherlock and John and for ME at the end.

I too think Molly helped Sherlock. I think Sherlock knew that Moriaty wanted him to fall (JM told SH that when they met in the flat) from the building so planned something with Molly. From where he told John to stay and look at him, John could not see where he landed. I too think the cyclist running into John was deliberate.

So I think Sherlock will try to find the assassins before he reveals himself to John in order to keep him, Mrs Hudson and Lestrade safe. Desperately hoping we get a series 3...

I agree, the bicycle thing was probably deliberate.

As for Series 3, it's been confirmed. Enjoy

BoredomHeights

[8]Jan 17, 2012
    • level: 6

It can't be a cadaver that fell, because when falling, Sherlock, or whoever, was clearly waving his arms. Additionally, right before he jumps it zooms in on his face, and it is Sherlock. He couldn't have ducked back or anything after that because John would have noticed. Maybe he found a way to survive the fall, albeit hurt, and had the Dr. pronounce him dead anyways.

nightshade_nova

[9]Jan 17, 2012
    • level: 2

He clearly jumped onto the garbage truck.(the one with red framework)

At the parking lot scene, theres actually another building in front of where he jumped, which could indicate a blind spot.

Sherlock said that "It's a trick.Just a magic trick" that would be his "note".

But clearly, the setting is one and the same St. Bartholomew Hospital, as there were already doctors in blue scrubs.

The dead double is self explanatory.The needed cost for his cover up should be covered by the diamond cufflinks he got earlier.

The reason Moriarty did this was as a "favor" (the "I owe you" note) to Sherlock whose getting unwanted attention from the press.

Moriarty himself quite possibly isn't dead yet, he wanted for them both to go off the grid so that they BOTH could "play" without drawing attention.

Whatifnuts

[10]Jan 17, 2012
    • level: 13

I loved the episode. Possibly one of the best in the series and I'm so glad that we'll get another.

I cried my eyes out when Sherlock was on the roof even though I hoped that he would somehow survive. And I too think that Molly and someone else helped him fake his death - possible by him jumping into the garbage dumpster and Molly securing him a body to match him enough to make John believe it was him. Hope they'll explain it in the next serie.

I hope that Moriarty is alive although I doubt that Sherlock would be fooled but he is/was a great foe of Sherlock's. As smart as Sherlock although using it for evil purposes. But definitely smart. And playing so well no matter who he pretends to be in the serie.

And Benedict and Martin are perfect for their parts. I absolutely love both of them. Hopefully they'll come back to the serie again and again.

And I also really loved that Lestrad kept believing in Sherlock even when the others started doubting him. He really became Sherlock's friend over the series.

And seeing Mycroft at the end mourning Sherlock - I wonder if Sherlock told him the truth about being alive? But he did care about his brother even if he didn't show it much. I really liked that because I like Mycroft too.

Tauros81

[11]Jan 19, 2012
    • level: 10

dpebbleson wrote:

As for Series 3, it's been confirmed. Enjoy

That's the best news I had all week.

FCBarca

[12]Jan 20, 2012
    • level: 15
    Best series on television?...I think so

LiveLife93

[13]Jan 20, 2012

^ What I was going to say. This episode was quite simply the best piece of television I have seen in a long time!

Despite the fact that I knew what was going to happen at the end, Martin Freeman's portrayal of a sombre and broken man was so moving it was devastating to watch - I felt John's pain in both the opening and the final scenes.

The acting in this episode was fantastic, but Freeman's in particular was impeccable.

I have to say Molly was also a pleasant surprise in her "You look sad when you think he can't see you" scene. It gave much more insight to her, and also showed that she was less of an 'idiot' than Sherlock originally thought. Also, I liked the fact that because she "didn't count", she in fact ended up counting.

Also, I had to laugh when John got arrested for punching the Chief Counstable in the face for insulting Sherlock. Friends will be there to bail you out, but best friends will be saying how they both messed up.

I'm not going to guess how Sherlock survived... I'll go mad trying and will most likely be wrong! Lets just hope we don't have to wait as long for series three this time!

tonrdam

[15]Feb 9, 2012
    • level: 3
    Jason57892 wrote:

I think it is obvious waht happened. Dr John Watson gets knocked down by an accident to make him a bit dizzy and unaware and unable to focus properly. An ambulance comes quite soon afterwards. The body though has been made up to look like Sherlock. Sherlock probably was falling off the roof but DR Watson only saw him fall about half way due to other buildings in the way so he probably fell into a pre arranged truck with padding. Another body was placed on the ground and that is how it was done.

And I am sure Mority isn't dead either.

I think I read somewhere all three have been re hired for season 3 which is likely to be the final season as all three actors careers are about to take off with movies that are on the way.

I too would like to see more than the three episodes a year. If Mid Somer Murders can do 8 episodes a year why not Sherlock ?

Mid Somer Murders episodes go for 90 mins too.

the availability of the actors would be an issue

cumberbatch is in about every movie that is going to be big in 2012 freeman to

i am thinking about a alternative - i think you are right about the accident, it was a setup, but i think he never jumped, someone (holly ?) threw a body down into the truck while sherlock walked down and applied the fake blood

MarcSzubert

[16]Feb 10, 2012

Here is what i thinkhappened. In the scene were Sherlock jumps off the roof u can see there is a truck rite beside the sidewalk were the body is found. as Watson is walking toward the body you can see the truck starting to leave. You can also see that the truck had padding in it. IbelieveSherlock jumped into it and had a fake double. We know he is able to create doubles because he did it for the women back in episode 1 season 2.

Now on to Moriarty. He is dead. At thebringingof the episode, Moriarty tellsSherlockthe story of the musician and his son, later Sherlock explains that Moriarty does everything for a reason. I think the reason Moriarty toldSherlockthis story was because he was hinting at the fact that a person who he considers his father would be the one to complete the game should he fail. This leads to the I.O.U. I think this means that Moriarty ows his father, Who's first name starts with a U,Sherlock'sfall.Whenthey were talking on the roofSherlockwas able to get out of jumping thus meaning M failed and so he killed himself. Another thing i caught on was when Sherlock wastalkingabout the perfect lies have hints of truth. I think Moriarty is rely the actor Rick like he said he was and he was hired by the real M to try and trick Sherlock. Him being an actor also explains all the theatrical things he does during his crimes for the real M. We also never see anyone elseaddressMoriarty in person. Sherlock is the only one who has seen the Rick acting as the real M.

wildwood_sings

[17]Mar 20, 2012
    New member here, from US. Founf the show on Netflix and fell in love with it instantly!! bought both series from UK. Even had to buy a region free dvd player for them! Couldn't wait for series 2 to get to Netflix! LOL!

I am no sleuth, usually prefering to let the magician do his work behind the curtain. BUT this had got me in fits! I just really want to know how he pulled it off. Mark Gatiss said that he does something, in this episode, that he never does. I can't recall, even though I have seen it a few times, but does he eat in this episode? Going back thru the first series, i notice that we never see him eating. We see john eat, but not sherlock.

Also- I notice shirt color alot in this episode! When sherlock is speaking with Moriarty on the roof, his shirt is dark. I thought it was purple? But when he fall, I see white shirttails flapping. It seems as if its him, with the flailing arms, but why the shirt color change? Oh well...I suppose we have to wait but it is driving me nuts! And I suppose it was meant to, wasn't it?

NUMB3RSno1freak

[18]May 4, 2012
    • level: 6
    silverscreenluv wrote:

Also, those assassins move amazingly fast. How are they chasing each other around assassinating each other and following everyone around holding cross-hairs on them? No one moves that fast with a giant rifle on their back when they don't know where they're going. This episode was stretching my ability to suspend disbelief.

My understanding was that the assassins that moved in next door and were protecting Sherlock's life were from different criminal organisation all over the world, coming to get the "computer code". They were there to retrieve the codes and if Sherlock died then so did their chance to get it but if they got to close rival gangs/organistions took them out. In my head, the assassins that were after John, Mrs. Hudson and Lestrade were all contracted by Moriarty. They weren't (related) to the assassins we saw at the beginning. I'd need to watch it again and give the episode a closer look though 'cause sometimes watching the show once through just isn't enough.

camelotkitty12

[19]May 12, 2012

Some of you might know me from the merlin forum. HI!!! It's great to find common interests, isn't it?

As for this show Reichenbach Fall, yes, I've watched it online several times and did the subtitles too. I have also read the canon story By Doyle, (The Final Problem) so I knew what might happen. But THIS episode, in the 2oth or 21st (I can never tell which) century Sherlock, had a LOT of OMG moments.It shocked me that Moriarty called Sherlock's bluff by shooting himself in the mouth. See? That wasn't in the canon. I too, suspect that Molly Hooper had a hand in Sherlock's "death".He went to her and told her he thot he was going to die, but then the camera went to another scene.

Moriarty may or may not be dead, but Sherlock did fall from the roof, only because he thought he was doing a good deed in saving his friends.I didn't see the different shirt colors till after I saw it for the umpteenth time...so I wonder.... I too agree that the hired guns who moved into Baker Street were not hired By Moriarty; M had a different set of killers. But, as soon as those "hired guns" saved Sherlock's life several times (because they thought he had something they wanted) I wonder-----did Moriarty's men kill them? Or was it the rivals? And, how did John trace Sherlock to the building where he was at? And....at the very end....was that really Sherlock, watching John from behind something, at the cemetary?

Season 3 HAS been confirmed but most of us won't see it till 2013 All I can say is....this is a two-hour problem. I don't think they can explain how, where, why, what, and when, in 90 minutes, do you?

amandaclark79AD

[20]May 14, 2012

I can't stand it. I've searched for someone with the same theory as me and can't find it. You'll notice the truck parked in the street below has a "solid" roof when Sherlock looks down. At street level, after he's jumped, the roof is deflated and folded up into itself. Ergo he, himself, jumped and landed in it and then jumped out to lie in the street supposedly dead.

CiaraPearson

[21]May 21, 2012
    • level: 4

Correct me if I'm wrong, and sorry if someone else has mentioned this.

We know at the end when Sherlock was calling John with his 'note' that he wasn't telling the truth, but wouldn't it have been impossible for Sherlock to have researched John? When they first met, it was because Stamford had run into John accidentally and then brought him round to meet Sherlock.