Shining Time Station

PBS (ended 1997)

Tubelubber

Shining Time Station Fan Reviews (20)

• Shining Time Station Shined Brightly.

I've always loved this PBS series and it became one of my favorites growing up, this was how I first learned of Thomas The Tank Engine via this show. And while I found the Thomas The Tank Engine and Friends stories fine, I liked what took place in the eponymous train station more and was always more interested in that. I liked how those stories were always incorporated into the episodes when either of the two Mr. Conductors (portrayed by Ringo Starr or the late George Carlin) would tell whatever the stories were, depending on the episode's subject, to the handful of kids who frequented there. That aspect of the program makes it similar to the concept of the Noddy series from the late '90s. This gets my vote to be on the most outstanding kid shows of all time list. What isn't there to like about it?

Aside from the aforementioned two Mr. Conductors (who were small, could magically appear and disappear at will, and weren't seen nor known about by many, and the few, notable kids who visited the station), there were also the station master Stacy, who I think was related to one or a couple of the kids; Schemer, who if I recall exactly owned the arcade there, loved money (especially nickels) and was always trying to come up with and plot ways (as his name is self-explanatory and implies) to get rich quickly, almost like a true con artist or scam artist; the Flexitoon Puppets who comprised a band and lived in a jukebox where they performed (and they were the ones who played the tracks every time a nickel was dropped into it, and a track was selected) and more. If anyone reading my review has never seen Shining Time, I say check it out, because everything about it, from the storylines to the characters are great. With morals or lessons that were done the right way, I pick and consider this as yet another winner and a keeper for sure.