Showtime at the Apollo

(ended 2008)

Showtime at the Apollo Fan Reviews (3)

6.9
  • Black Entertainment culture...live and uncut, on stage.

Is it any wonder that this show began televising in 1987? The dawn of the New Jack Era? It makes sense and completely figures. It is great that TV One has added this show to its lineup in a syndicated fashion, however it should seriously consider making this available via DVD instead. Some amazing performances are available on this show...which are always live. It would be great to see the New Kids On The Block perform here, as it was great to see Jodeci, Guy, Al B. Sure and LL Cool J rock this stage during the New Jack Era. Vanessa Williams, Sinbad, Steve Harvey, and others have all had hosting duties. This is Black Entertainment culture...the African-American variety, on stage. Live and uncut.
  • Fine tuning meaning tuning out the host!!

4.5
    I would love to give this show a higher rating but due to the racial comments made by the host of the show I can not allow myself to do so. I would give the show an 8.5 but I will give the host a 3. Comments like real women are usually black women don't sit to well with me as a real caucasion woman. I rate hime higher than I should considering the fact he may just be an ignorant man with double standards when it comes to racial related views. It's unfair for me to not fully be able to enjoy a show I like because of the deaf ear people tend the have when racial comments are coming from the other direction.
  • A show where Hispanic and black teens on the last week of July competeted against each other in respective dance numbers.

0.0
    Having an abstract hip hop act follow a gutteral, intensely high energy latin dance act was vicious act against black children and an abomination in cynical political hatred.

It was ahead of its time in political racist hot winds.

What made your evil intentions so apparent was that artistically speaking, the cultural gap was the equivalent of having a competition between a ballet troupe and tapdancers.

I\'d rethink the name of your show to gangsta\' rumble recruiting night by scummy producers and media outlet.