A Siberia Community
Monday 10:00 PM on NBC

Both shows are pretty much about a bunch of people separated from the outside world by supernatural forces. So why should one watch Siberia over UTD?

1. You'll get closure. As far as we know, Siberia hasn't been renewed for Season 2. And based on the way ratings are going, the chances for renewal are unlikely. This all but assures we'll get some finality by the end of this season. Whether they're all eaten by monsters or only a handful get home, at least we'll know they won't be running around in the Siberian wilderness next year. The same can't be said for the residents of Chester's Mill who will continually be trapped Under the Dome until the ratings take a dive. It's a sad day when the ratings dictate the story and not the other way around.

2. You won't feel like shouting at the screen every few minutes telling them to get out already. In Siberia, the people isolated themselves voluntarily, in the hope of winning some cash. Any weird and creepy thing they experience can all be chalked up to the producers messing with them trying to get them to leave. This explains why they may ignore or give less importance to the weird/creepy things around them. It also gives us a reason on why they're not in a hurry to leave. The same can't be said for the characters trapped Under the Dome. A freaking dome fell and it's no big deal to them. The adults ate in the diner like usual. The kids threw parties like usual. Even the delivering of appliances proceeded on schedule. The most anyone has attempted to get out of the dome is to gently touch the dome. Literally. The only exceptions are the psychos of the show. The crazed deputy who tried firing at the dome and Junior who went deep into the tunnels and when confronted by the dome, proceeded to punch and kick the dome in frustration.

3. The girls are badasses in Siberia. Siberia has an archer who eats deer for breakfast. Another one poisons her fellow contestant, sleeps with then blackmails the cameraman just to get ahead. Another burns down the entire camp food supply. UTD has Sheriff Linda.

4. There are more mysteries in Siberia. There are large monsters eating people, "Others", green skies and time travel/time convergence/time loop possibilities. Aside from the awesome dome (and its offspring), and some Gangnam-style seizures, nothing much else is happening under the dome.

5. Siberia isn't being reviewed by TV.com. You can miss out on episodes of Under the Dome because Tim will always be there to give a great recap and review of the show. The comments will fill you in on everything else. The same cannot be said for Siberia.

6. and 7. Carolina and Esther. Just some of the badass eye candy you'll see in the show.

31 Comments
Comments (31)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Siberia didn't have a good ending to its season because they clubbed two episodes into one at the last moment. But, it has been one hell of a ride and if it does get renewed (highly improbable), then I'd recommend Siberia to everyone. Its not a great show, some stupid stuff happens, but its at a bare minimum and its decent and the characters are quite nuanced.
UTD sucks major balls and doesn't even deserve to be compared to Siberia.
Flag
#1: Well, not so much, as we've seen. Although supposedly the last episode wasn't the last episode. The 12th one, that should have aired on 9/16, was thrown off when they did that preemption for the Royal spawn. Hopefully if it does exist, we'll see it on the DVD release.
Flag
I like and watch both, but the acting kind of sucks in Siberia. A little cheesy too. But I'm still kind of addicted lol.
Flag
Under The Dome is utterly boring and disappointing - it's terrible to see Dean Norris in something like this after Breaking Bad, it's a disgrace
Flag
Thanks for the great tip! Bye bye dome, hello snow! Although i will probably still watch Dome for the entertainment value I give myself yelling at the TV.
Flag
Yes!!
Flag
I really like Siberia. I hope it gets renewed. I'd like to continue to follow all of the different stories going on, but since we've already set up that everybody dies, we kinda know how it ends, and that was a kinda lame thing to put out there. Gah. Either way, I hope we do get something, some sort of answers, something.
Flag
I agree mostly, but I tend to watch this on Tuesday. It is actually kind of scary, so this and Teen Wolf get my mind too worked up and UTD lets me shut my brain off. Plus, its on demand like right away.
Flag
Good episode this week. The group has now split in two so I;m expecting some shennaigans. Mijan is frikkin creepy...
Flag
Wow! I have to say your arguments are compelling sluu3p18!!!!
I think I might give it a try... ;-)
Flag
Stopped watching Under The Dome after Episode 4. It really didn't live up to it's promise and what was intended to be miniseries now is show with at least one more season. CBS fucked up this! Sadly not in terms of ratings.

A lot of people said that Siberia concept was ridicilous. But it wasn't. Yeah, Siberia is not masterpiece, but is fun and intresting and far better than Under The Dome. I'm looking forward to every next epsiode of Siberia while I really don't care about Under The Dome. Not anymore.
Flag
7. I agree - I love Esther and Carolina. If all reality shows were like Siberia world would a much better place.
Flag
Rachelle Lefevre is the only eye candy that I need, plus Brittany Robertson is not bad Either
Flag
3 - The girls are badarse in Siberia.

You forgot to add, I think they revealed that Sabina (one of the most mysterious female characters in the group) was in the flippin' Mossad.

So yeh... total bad-arse. I can't wait to see her kick some butts instead of just sneaking around the forest trying to figure out wtf is going on.
Flag
It's my guilty-pleasure show of the summer.

The pilot was a little weak: it followed the "reality show" format a bit too much as well as exaggerated crying to get attention and stuff. But it was kind of expected: they had to get us into the "this is a fake-reality-show" state of mind.

But things are shaping up nicely, and now that things are getting a bit deadlier for our characters I'm actually psyched.

Flag
I totally have to agree with Rob that Siberia is a guilty pleasure. It's not a great show but for some reason I can't miss it and look forward to it every week. I guess it's like a bad car wreck that you can't look away from. lol
Flag
Siberia is my guilty pleasure. Everything about it screams 'don't watch' to me, yet I'm genuinely looking forward to the next episode. The last episode was probably the best and apparantly it's going to get even crazier...
Flag
"This all but assures we'll get some finality by the end of this season."

Ever see Persons Unknown from a couple of years ago? That was very similar to Siberia, and we got no closure whatosever.

For a more recent example, see Cult. Or The River.

So I'm not betting we'll get much closure...
Flag
or V

hate it that it never got a real finale.
Flag
Oddly enough I haven't seen Persons Unknown, Cult or the River. I was under the impression the show was a limited event, similar to the original plan for UTD before they screwed it up and made a second season out of it.
Flag
http://www.tv.com/shows/persons-unknown/

It's all recapped, if you want to try to follow it from that. There are lot of parallels to Siberia: isolated location, people monitoring the participants, traitors within the group, created by someone with relatively little TV experience.
Flag
They were supposedly limited events as well. Or at least the ratings were so low that they should have known they would be limited events in time to film their last episodes. And yet they all ended in a pretty open-ended manner with few or no answers to all the mysteries they raised.
Flag
I read the interview with the Persons Unknown show-runners. Apparently they had a bunch of seasons fleshed out AND were demanded from NBC to end season 1 on the cliff-hanger. They didn't have the minor details worked out, but the back-story (re: answers) sounded interesting and the general progression seemed decent.

But... they should have known better. And NBC should have let them not end on a cliffhanger.
Flag
And there's the problem. If NBC demands that Siberia ends on a cliffhanger, it's going to end on a cliffhanger. Even if they cancel it. :(

At least, I haven't heard anyone on the Sib production team saying they deliberately created it as one-season only. Then again, I haven't heard much from them at all...
Flag
Follow this Show
Members