A Siberia Community
Monday 10:00 PM on NBC
We're walking, we're walking...

That basically sums it up. The groups did a little bit of climbing, and a little bit of burying, but mostly they walked a whole lot.

That's not to say that nothing happened while they were walking. First we found out the fate of Natalie. Yay! I knew her simply leaving in the helicopter hospital was too convenient.

I missed neither Irene nor Miljan. Irene has been kind of boring since she went from Zen archer to wounded dove. Miljan, a little goes a long way and a week or two off wouldn't hurt.

As I noted elsewhere, one thing you have to say about the mostly unknown actors on Siberia. They put everything they've go into acting, bless their little hearts. Sabina's speech was well done, Sam acting as the "go on without me" martyr was good, Johnny was appropriately desperate, Daniel was frustrated with everyone thinking he can do anything. Annie still isn't doing much for me, but Esther seems to be in that confused place where she's trying to redeem herself even though she was the one who freed Miljan in the first place (right?). Neeko came across as vaguely sympathetic, even if his insistence that they rely on the producers is getting a little old. Joyce still seems to be the weak link. They seem to have run out of things to do with her now that she's been revealed as the mole.

Major plot points this week were the manner of Natalie's death, the electrified whatever-the-heck it is tower, and the Russian science center. And the mysterious fog, I suppose.

Nice cinematography on the cross-country trek.

Has anyone seen Siberia creator Matthew Arnold's movie, The Shadow People? I'll have to see if I can find it, and it seems to have a few mild similarities to Siberia. If I can, I'll toss in a review here.
Comments (41)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Aug 28, 2013
Is Esther a crazed pychopath? Is she thinking that the game is still ongoing and she is literally going to take out each player until she is the last one standing. I suspect when Neeko and Sabina get back (if they do) Annie will be the next one missing with Esther standing around in her white shoulder padded coat looking all "Who me?" I didn't see Annie in the trailer for next week.
Flag
Aug 28, 2013
Well, this time Miljan blackmailed her into letting him go. Granted it was over something she doing to get an advantage. But whether that's an advantage in the game, or an advantage in just general survival by holding something back, isn't clear.
Flag
Aug 28, 2013
I have a feeling we have seen the last of Miljan and Irene. Too much gangrene in one show anyway. Hopefully we'll only have to deal w/ Sam's gangrene. Miljan's character has been irritating from the start. I find his ability to annoy even greater than Jr on this show's rival, UTD. Even though the outcome of just about every scene in this program is highly predictable (saw Sam showing up to save Johnny a mile away, saw Daniel showing up to save Johnny/Joyce 2 miles away, saw the dead hand being attached to Annie's girl Natalie from outside Earth's orbit, etc., etc.), I 'm still hooked. I thought Johnny's struggling to save himself and dead-weight Joyce borderline "touching" in it's portrayal. And Sam's representation of what a person is like just before it's kick-the-bucket time to be spot-on. Siberia, the best kept secret of the summer of 2013!
Flag
Aug 28, 2013
I expected Johnny to climb the tower (they needed higher ground to see where they were).
I expected him to fall (immediately after Joyce noticed the wooden sign with a lightning bolt on it).
I expected them to do CPR. And I too thought Johnny was going to die.
What I didn't expect was Sam coming in to save the day! Nothing wakes up a dead man like mouth-to-mouth from a big scary bald man.

Flag
Aug 28, 2013
I'm not too worried about the Russian mountain dew. I'd have gone straight for the fridge too if I was there. And it looked more like a food fridge rather than a lab fridge. There's a bottle of champagne at the fridge's door when Daniel opened it.

Flag
Aug 28, 2013
The electrified tower Johnny climbed reminds me of the anti-smokey towers Lost had surrounding the Others camp. Similarly, that electrified tower (and probably a few others like it) could be there to protect the Russian science center.
Flag
Aug 28, 2013
My first thought was that the tower looked identical to Tesla's power transmission towers.

Flag
Aug 27, 2013
I really thought Sabina would out Esther. She found the empty bottle of sleeping pills, she must've put that together. Kind of too bad she didn't do it.
I was really scared for a second that Johnny was dead!
And seriously, Joyce! grow a pair and keep walking! Even Sam's walking and his foot is being eaten away by gangreen!
Flag
Aug 27, 2013
I thought he was a goner as well. That scene reminded me of Jack and Charlie from Lost. Actually, quite alot reminds me of Lost haha!
Flag
Aug 27, 2013
I was considering it too... though the main issue at that point was a psycho running off with their maimed team member. Dropping that pill-bomb on them would have slowed them down and devolved into an argument while Miljan got further away.

Flag
Aug 27, 2013
I didn't mind the walking too much (until I noticed that despite the episode's name and the clear description that the fog had an impact that there wasn't any fog until like the last fifteen minutes of the episode - but near me that tends to mean the snow is going away).

I gasped when Johnny got flung off the tower (I thought for sure he was going to have an arrow wound or something especially horrible wrong with him not just electricity because, well, the tower really looked like wood to me). The guy playing Sam did a really good job of looking like he was about to die, though his quickness in getting to them and then return to pain afterward, kind of made me think...crap, is there something supernatural going on.

Did anyone else want to yell at Daniel, don't just drink that! At the very least bring it over to Sam to ask him what it is supposed to be! I assume it turns out just to be the Russian version of Mountain Dew (in which case, that didn't really hydrate you Daniel) but I couldn't help but wonder, uh oh, Daniel is going to turn into whatever science experiment thing that is killing the cast.

Random complaint...I have a terrible, terrible, terrible sense of direction in terms of actual direction. I can work out routes and markers in my head and usually don't get totally lost. But even I know, if you really need just a basic four point, look at the sun. Of course, this wouldn't help if you a) didn't take note what direction you were going in the first place b) didn't take note when you took the long walk to find a passable point in the river c) didn't note where the thing was when you detoured for the night. And yes, I also know the sun is only really helpful at a couple times a day (and there might be some issue with the fact they are in Russian, but still)

Last night I had a horrible damning thought...I am starting to like Annie. Oops.
More+
Flag
Aug 28, 2013
I'm thinking that being alone w/ Esther isn't too good for one's well being and we may have seen the last of Annie.
Flag
Aug 28, 2013
a metal tower in ice conditions ? have you ever lost skin from your tongue on a metal ice tray? and johnnie climbing the tower without gloves ... hmm
Flag
Aug 28, 2013
I suspect his hands weren't as moist as his tongue would be. Plus the insides of your hands and bottoms of your feet are a coarser skin than the rest of your epidermis.
Flag
Aug 28, 2013
It looked like wood on my tv.
Flag
Aug 28, 2013
problem is getting zapped on wood vs. metal
Flag
Aug 28, 2013
Yeah but as I said I thought he was shot or something since I thought it was wood and hence wouldn't be electrified. Once we saw Johnny and Sam said his heart stopped..okay it was a metal tower and climbing without gloves was dumb but his boots likely prevented enough damage so his circuits weren't totally fried.
Flag
Aug 27, 2013
I had the same suspicion about Danny drinking that "soda" The camera was just zoomed in on the bottle way too long.

From what I recall, it had a barcode on it and writing in a similar "block" as the incredients and such. I think it also had a softdrink cap.

I can't think of any scientific "solution" that would be packaged as that. Things might have barcodes but I've not seen a personal-moutain-dew styled bottle used for anything scientific. The only non-soft-drink I've seen packaged like that has been pure lemon juice for cooking.

Still, I wouldn't be surprised if there was something fishy with that bottle.
Flag
Aug 27, 2013
I suddenly was flashing to books like The Passage or Immortal or even All Seeing Eye where things like the actual workers at the scientific research place might be guinea pigs in a twisted side experiment when he was drinking it. Like, a kid like Daniel would recognize Mountain Dew (or whatever) right away but so would 'types' would would end up working there and so they would assume its safe. Now suddenly they are Grey or the other keepers from the Passage and something is happening to them that you don't sort out exactly until later on in the story.
Flag
Aug 27, 2013
It's true, it could be the lab guys were also unwitting participants in an experiment and that soda was something to dose them.

For simplicity's sake I was expecting the lab to be near the top of the food chain and they only died because of a catalyst / incident / mutant-attack / hillpeople-attack / etc. After all this was supposed to only be 1 season and I'd say we're at the 50% or 75% mark at this point.

But them being just another layer of guinea pigs works as well. However if that's so, they only have so-much-time to wrap this all up.
Flag
Aug 27, 2013
With very few exceptions, network will greenlite anything if it gets good ratings.
Flag
Aug 27, 2013
I still think NBC was trying this out for an experiment and may still green light it if it pulls in some decent ratings so they may not feel they need to wrap everything up or follow up every clue. Both because they don't really have to (if this is just found footage then it could end abruptly like the camera did when whatever happened to Esther and Annie and I presume that camera guy because the camera guys are likely to intervene after Irene and the cast's attack on them at the helicopter spot). And if they are green lit, then it could just be presented of recently uncovered footage.
Flag
Aug 27, 2013
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Aug 27, 2013
I'm really enjoying this show and I hope it doesn't have a "Lost" ending.

I thought the female character with Johnny, Sam, and Daniel was Carolina. Who is Joyce or am I confusing names?

I thought Sam was dead so I was surprised when turned up to do cpr and why did the others give up so fast on the cpr (even if they didn't know officially how to do it they seemed to give up fairly fast).

The only issue I have is that the camera-people are able to hold the camera so steady and I would suspect they are as cold, hungry and exhausted as the rest of them. I guess we need steady filming to be able to enjoy the show. I still think they wouldn't be so behind the scenes since they are also struggling for survival.

The previews for next week look great!
Flag
Aug 28, 2013
I'm quite thankful the camera is as steady as it is. Shaky camera footage makes my head hurt so I'm glad they keep it to a minimum.
Flag
Aug 28, 2013
true!
and I think the introduction of new characters (camera people) wouldn't work....would take to much time to make them characters so best to leave them behind the scenes but IRL the "found footage" would be shaky and if I was the camera person I would film myself sending a message to my loved ones--would do that as soon as I realized people were dying and we couldn't contact the outside world.
Flag
Aug 28, 2013
For all we know the cameramen already made those videos filming themselves and their final messages. What we're only shown are the videos concerning the 14 contestants and what finally happened to them. Maybe in the very end they'll reveal that all this footage was being shown in court (as Sam suggested) so they can sue the pants off of the producers.
Flag
Aug 27, 2013
Joyce Giraud the real-life actress played Carolina, a contestant on Siberia. Then Carolina confessed that she was actually a mole, and that in reality she was an actress named Joyce.

But not the real-life actress named Joyce Giraud. Confusing, ain't it? ;)

Although the fact she was the only real-life actress whose name didn't match her character is presumably a subtle clue tossed in for us to figure out early-on that she is the mole.
Flag
Aug 27, 2013
Also, gawd I hate Esther more and more each week. I was OK with her trying to blackmail the camera-guy... I didn't agree with it but as far as the show went it wasn't so bad.

Since then she's just been worse and worse. And with all of this crazy stuff going on she's still "playing the game" even though lives are on the line. I wonder what she took out of the box that Miljan saw: my money's on either a gun or a satellite phone.

Just last night Esther was trying to pass the blame onto Sabina... I thought you said you tied him up well or something to that nature. Also, dosing Vodka with sleeping pills... that's a deadly combination. She could have easily killed people. I imagine it was the Vodka since she passed on it while everyone else drank it.
Flag
Aug 27, 2013
with the groups split, who/where did the extra camera man come from? and btw batteries that last this long without recharging? need to revise getting 'real' - if not then a search of the science center for food and water should have been first priority
Flag
Aug 27, 2013
There were multiple camera-men... I forget how many... there were at least 3 even from before. Your point about batteries is solid, unless they were given a sack of them prior to shooting or solar chargers or something.

As far as searching the science center for food and water... they JUST got there. They needed to rest and get their core temperatures up. Food and water actually come after temperature and fear-of-hypothermia, and they were recently saying they were ALMOST out of food. Water... I don't know why that was a big deal, there was tons of snow for them to suck on.

There's a thought-puzzle that NASA uses... you are told you crash landed on the moon and are given a a LONG list of necessities (air, water, warmth, oxygen, etc). It's surprising how little everyone's attempts to rank them match up NASA's list. Everyone tends to put the Food and Water as # 2 and 3 on the list, when really they are quite far down below oxygen, heat/temperature, protection from elements (or lack there of), etc.
Flag
Aug 27, 2013
As proof about the minimum number of camera-men, I think we met them at the start of the series.

But more recently, when Sam and company were at the helicopter button. One camera-man was showing Esther back at the camp and everyone annoyed at her for lying.

Meanwhile, at the "button" we saw Sam and Johnny confronting 2 camera-men. In fact we had one camera-man filming the other camera-man getting beat up.

So at least 3... 1 is with the explorers and 2 with the cabin-folk.
Flag
Aug 27, 2013
thnx .. and i was thinking of after the river crossing - 1 with johnnie, 1 with sam? then that could be 4? ... and it will be interesting to see what 'equipment' evolves out of a multi-million $ remote science station (ie. international south pole facilities)
Flag
Aug 27, 2013
Flag
Aug 27, 2013
So since we have the iron box with Russian text calling it the psychological-response-test box (or whatever) and we have the explorer-team coming across a Russian science center... I imagine the two are related?

Perhaps they are truly the ones behind the "reality show" and the bosses of the now-deceased producers. Perhaps all of this was supposed to be an experiment and the only way to get human guinea pigs was with the promise of prize money at the end of a reality show.

And then the question is... has everything run amock or is this how it was supposed to turn out.
Flag
Aug 27, 2013
But then, how do the valleymen and the green skies and the Sabina skeleton & locket tie-in?

See, that's a mystery. And why we'll keep watching...
Flag
Aug 27, 2013
Oh I agree... there's more going on here than show-within-a-show or psych-experiment-within-a-show and am hoping we get some solid answers or at least a decent conclusion.

I'm just wondering if the premise of the inner-show was "OK, this is our brand new lab-valley... let's do multiple experiments here including quantum stuff, studying these strange people, reports of yetti, etc. Let's also fly some stupid Americans here for psych-tests and make them think it's a reality show. They might also make good bait for the Yetti and hill people. Ivan, order up some of those big meta psych-test boxes"

Meanwhile Gordon Freeman is accidentally opening the portal to Xen or something in the basement and all heck breaks loose. Or whatever the catalyst is for the strange lights + time travelling copse/necklace + etc.
Flag
Aug 27, 2013
Flag
Aug 27, 2013
Natalie's death was kind of a given -- she disappeared into the middle of the night, nobody heard a helicopter, and a convenient note was left behind. Honestly, when they found out the button was not only broken but wasn't connected to anything (anymore?) hours later (perhaps a day?) they should have wondered what happened to her.

I mean, I don't care how soundly you're sleeping: helicopters are loud as heck. Especially if it's the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere, as opposed to a suburban or city dwelling. The thing was what... maybe .25-.5 miles from the cabins?

Sound like that carries in quiet places and should have woken them up. Sure, maybe if they were in a full-blown house they might have missed it but they were in plain wooden shacks... I don't think they even had insulation.
Flag
Aug 27, 2013
I was a bit torn... on one hand the episode ended at a solid place and the "what happens next" feeling is strong.

On the other hand... this show is supposedly only 1 season and I have to imagine that we're getting near the end since it's a summer show which often doesn't have as many episodes as a primetime network show.

So if we are winding down, then an episode focused so much on spinning-their-wheels seems a little wasteful since not a lot happened until the last 10 minutes or so.

2 characters spent most of the episode trying to dig a hole in frozen ground (from experience, that stinks). 2 characters got lost in fog and had a heart-to-heart. 2 are completely MIA. At least the explorer-team found the tower and started hallucinating due to hypothermia.
Flag
Aug 27, 2013
It does seem like last week's episode and this one could have been compacted. But slow pacing is hard to measure until you see the entire season.

Rushed pacing, on the other hand, is typically very obvious (I'm looking at you, Utd).
Flag
Aug 27, 2013
Cool, I did find a copy of Shadow People. It's got some found footage/taped interview stuff going for it. More once I get a chance to watch it.
Flag
Aug 27, 2013
Also, I wish they'd revise the opening credits. Half the people aren't even there anymore, the whole "reality show" style doesn't gibe with the show now, and unless it thaws quick, the green woodsy stuff doesn't gibe with the now-wintery episodes.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members