A Siberia Community
Monday 10:00 PM on NBC
As we reach the halfway point in the first (last?) season), this episode was cold. Very cold. It looked cold. Like "The Grey"/Liam Neeson cold. Poor Sam in particularly looked like he was turning into ice even before he got frostbite. Afterward... ugh, a pretty graphic representation (for network TV) of frostbite. Either that, or frostbite is just naturally creepy.

Only one bizarre supernatural occurrence this week, but that was a doozy: summer turns into snow overnight. Fallout from the blast and the green sky, or did they shift through time? Or did time shift back around them?

The directors (two of them-did they split the filming between the two groups?) nicely captured the difference between the group struggling to survive in the wilderness, and the relatively comfortable group back at camp. It'll be even more effective in a week or so the two groups trade positions, comfort-wise (according to the press releases).

Natalie is still MIA. Shouldn't she have been on the helicopter judging by the onscreen timing? Assuming she got onto it.

On the personality-development front, Daniel sticks by his friend, Sam is very self-sacrificing. Annie gets a non-believer in God moment. I liked Irene's idea that they were seeing evidence of God.

After becoming kind of a good person last week, Esther turns back to the dark side as a result of blackmail and Irene turning her back on her when she tried to apologize. Miljan continues his descent into wackiness. Neeko is still kind of a jerk, and Sabina is showing her survival skills.

Overall, I'd give this one an eight. There's a neat "we're doomed" feel to the first group, and a bit of story-building with the second group.
Comments (28)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I actually think that the hand we see in the promo for the next episode is natalie's
Flag
I was surprised they didn't stumble upon any thing other than splattered blood in the helicopter wreckage.
Flag
What is weirdly upsetting is that you just know they have in their back pocket the idea that this is found footage and everyone is either dead or missing. I like care about these people (well most of them, Miljian is evil and Esther seriously pisses me off, I don't dislike Neeko as much as most people do. Especially now when you consider who he got left behind with, I mean, Sabina only now joined the camp, Annie is nice enough and all, and Irene is dying). I wonder when someone would bring up the concept of...well...they have sharp instruments, they have fire...maybe to prevent real infection....this would be totally gross.

I do like how the other group is falling into a good team with each other, I just hope Sam can get it together because I don't know how much pure leadership Johnny can handle on his own.
Flag
The idea of amputation occurred to me early on as well. Between sharp instruments, Vodka, fire, and the infection spreading I assumed someone was going to at least suggest it.

In fact, I thought it was stupid they decided to drink the Vodka since that was the closest thing they had to disinfectant and who knows how long they were going to be stuck and one of them has a huge open wound.

But no, not only did they drink it all but some idiot decides to spike / poison it with sleeping pills (glares at Esther).
Flag
Apparently some people are suspicious that Neeko or even Mijan actually drugged them and left the pill bottle there to set Esther up. I doubt that, but I wouldn't be surprised she had no intention of anything happening to Irene she just wanted to get Mijan to shut up (I really kind of hope she killed him herself, though if that is the case, she should have just let Neeko keep beating him up) and wanted the others out of it. Or more likely Miljan promised he would leave everyone alone if she helped him escape.

I really am curious why amputation didn't occur to anyone for those reason and also that in the first day or two, Johnny accidentally chopped off his own finger tip and he dealt with it (I actually would imagine he doesn't need the bandage anymore).
Flag
I have been DVR-ing Siberia while watching UTD live but I think that may change as both series head towards their 1st (last for one, I suspect) season climax. Even though Siberia may be unscripted, the dialogue isn't as dumbed-down as UTD. There are many instances during UTD when I actually know what the next actor will say in response to a situation or conversation. Siberia has presented the viewer with characters that were extremely unlikable at first and then either upped the ante on that unlikableness or allowed a bit of humanity to radiate outward lessening this effect. I mean, who wouldn't like to knock the s*%t out of Miljan, Neeko, or Esther? Whereas Johnny-boy has become the anti-hero of the show as each week he appears to be less and less the self-centered, my-way-or-I'm hitting-the-highway brat. I didn't see him coming back for Sam that quickly. There was a fleeting shot of him looking at the stand of trees before he and Joyce left Daniel and Sam for the tower. Now it appears that finding shelter to warm up Sam's toesies was the first priority and not locating the tower in hopes of self-preservation. Joyce was uncovered as being a plant in the group and now she appears to be the one that has true compassion for the others in their current predicament. Back at the camp, Annie has started thinking more about Irene's distress than her own abandonment and solitude. Sabina's hoarding away stuff for her own use has changed to her offering what she has for the good of the camp. So, some are coming around and as I stated earlier, the rest (excluding Irene) are gaining more ground in the loathsome department each week. Neeko included. Let's admit it, for someone to be a world re-known athlete, he's pretty much a do-nothing as far as getting the group united as a team or using his physical attributes to assist in the situation. He's more of a sit-around-the-fire and hide-in-my-hoodie-and-bitch kind of personality.
The main star of this week's episode was of course the snow. Its entrance onto the stage has changed situation from dire to disastrous.
Looking forward to seeing it live next week. I can always watch UTD on Tuesday since there is nothing on for me between Monday night's line-up of Siberia and UTD and Wednesday's "The Bridge". And then nothing afterward until Sunday's "Breaking Bad" which allows me plenty of time to write my comments on this site.
Later.......
More+
Flag
Define Siberia.

Our show is scripted... they may ad-lib something here-and-there but it's a scripted show. The actors (along with their lines) are kind of supposed to come across as the basic reality-show archetype characters: manipulative b***h, lovable nerds, strong independent woman, grizzled world-weary older guy, etc. I think they do a decent job at coming across as the typical clueless-traitorous-annoying reality show contestants... until they decided the game was over.

The show-within-a-show was supposed to be unscripted... save for one of the contestants actually being an actress that was given lines + scenes + objectives to move the story along. But she gave up after her bad drug trip and getting attacked in the woods, and the producers are supposedly either dead or missing.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Siberia is scripted most of the time by Matthew Arnold which is not famous but have the same name as my boss. Come to think of it, it is quite a generic name.
Flag
I actually thought it was Neeko the one who druged them all instead of Esther, that's why she looked surprised since she didn't do it, or at least I would like that scenario better, Neeko has always been kind of a jerk, and he just confensed to have kept something from th group so I wouldn't be surprised if he also is in cahoots with wacky man... it would make it a nice twist that we din't see coming.. also I think Natalie has been taken hostage by the wildings and kept tide up somewhere in the woods.
Flag
I think it was Esther, hence her not wanting to drink the vodka. Then she just "acted" surprised and made the big wide-eyed / bug-eyed W T F expression to go along with everyone else.

Granted it could have been a red-herring, but considering all of the other sneaky things she did AND the fact that Miljan was blackmailing her it makes sense that it was her.

Also, seriously? Lacing a bottle of Vodka with a full bottle of sleeping pills... wouldn't that be dangerous as heck?
Flag
There is a weird part of me that thinks there aren't actually any real red herrings on this show because they have enough WTF going on without it. Like Miljan is evil and/or crazy. Esther can't get out of either game mode or whatever makes her think she has to top people or have power over people. Consequently, they are always going to be suspicious.
Flag
Agreed on that, hence why I don't think it was a red herring.

If this is only supposed to be one season then they have enough W T F going on (as you say) than dealing with inserting even more stuff in there. I've heard mixed messages: that it's 12 episodes and 16 episodes.

If we're at 12 then we really have too much stuff left to go on in 3 episodes... especially now that they've set up group A finding weird stuff in the labs and group B being attacked by aliens/yetti/mutants/whatever. There's not really time for a camp-fire debate about "Which one of you drugged us" and hashing over the evidence.
Flag
I know, I suspect there is a (as this community is called) a found footage scene that they can stick at the end. Where people have found these recordings and they can stay cryptic enough that there are more recordings which provides some answers to some of the biggest mysteries or this was the last of the recordings that were found. That way if they are picked up for a second season, it can be a result of more footage found. It might be more interesting that way too...like they pick up in the middle of something and they have to figure out a way to tell people what happened in the interim without just having someone recap. They could also majorly cut down the cast in the process (though I suspect we are actually down to the final six actual cast members and Mijian has joined up with whoever those other people are.
Flag
While I don't think Neeko is in cahoots, I sort of wonder if he had laced the vodka (but, you know they made a point of indicating that Esther didn't drink the vodka, everyone else was feeling particularly hungover, and the pill bottle was in her bed) but it was actually that last thing that made me think she didn't do it. I thought maybe he decided to just kill Mijian. But, I am going to guess we have our answer soon enough since it seems like next episode will just be Neeko, Annie and Sabina at camp.

I did keep thinking when Mijian was threatening Esther was that I would be tempted to say, you don't know everything, I already told them a story they will believe over any bs you shovel at them plus I gave them access to the revealer already, so go ahead, tell them.
Flag
I thought Esther might stop with the sneaky stuff, now that the game is over. But I guess your own survival is probably an even bigger incentive than the 500k.
I really wonder what she took from the metal box and also how Miljan knew what she took.
Good episode!
Flag
Miljan sped back to the camp when the group found the totem-pole. He was trying to get them to write it off as unimportant and sped ahead. So he was probably at camp by the time Esther opened the box and saw her putzing with it.

As for what she took out for herself? My money is on either a gun or a satellite phone.
Flag
I didn't notice any "confessionals" in this episode. I guess they're really pushing out their fake-reality show image.

Funny how Esther got all excited discovering a tampon in the producers camp. You never really see that problem addressed in all these survival shows.

Esther's being naughty again and I like it. I just wish she wasn't so easily blackmailed by Miljan.

And that prayer! I used to recite that every night as a kid. =)
Flag
I think they're done with the confessional thing. Sam said they're cool with the camera-guys recording everything just so they have proof / leverage / protection however this thing ends. So with the exception of Esther, the rest of them appear to be done with the whole "reality" thing. The closest we got to confessional was when the explorers decided to leave a good-bye note in case they died in the journey, but we didn't get to see them.

The camera-guys... my guess is they were either promised HUGE amounts of money or were otherwise threatened to keep filming no matter what. We know one of them has a wife, perhaps she's being threatened or held-hostage.
Flag
Hope this show gives a good explanation to the mysteries its set up. Thanks for making a page for us Siberia fans.
Flag
Well, tv.com created the pages. I just add some of the content. :)

As much as like the show, I suspect that they won't explain everything.
Flag
Staff
Love your reviews, Gislef!
Flag
I really want a second season haha!
Flag
Follow this Show
Members