A Siberia Community
Monday 10:00 PM on NBC
Miljan: Nothing happens here by accident. Everything happens for a reason.

I think we all agree with that. Clearly there's an end game here. But I'm not convinced that it's going to add up to more than a cliffhanger for an aborted one-season series with a lot of unanswered questions.

But there's another article discussion thread here about that. Let's look at what we've got here.

The traveling group got settled in at the research center. The exploration of the base was an odd combination of suspense, investigation, and disinterest. Yes, them moving around in the dark and slowly making progress to getting the power on and access to the computers was kind of spooky and interesting. But there were a lot of unanswered questions that it seems like the characters should be asking. Like... how did all the staff members die? Why was there a relatively modern computer but a World War II radio set? I get that survival is a priority, but you'd think at least one of them would address the camera and wonder about it, rather than recording a "I'm still on a game show" personal moment.

With only two episodes left, I hope they drop those "I'm still on a game show" personal moments, like the montage at the end. They made sense when they thought they were still in a game show, but let's move it along now. Two episodes left, remember?

Back at the settlement, Miljan returns and is whackier than ever. Now he's hearing voices in his head. Is it some kind of psychic transmission, or is he just nuts and hearing voices in his head like TV nutty people always do? And why would the Evenki tell him to hand over Irene but not take him, and just wait to get him and the others later?

We find out that Neeko was a jerk after all. When Miljan correctly calls you on it, dude, you are legitimately a jerk.

Are we friends now? Should we get coffee and discuss my book content with you?

Other then that, the settlement angle didn't really go anywhere. Again, a lot of spooky stuff like the torches going out one at a time. And we finally see the Evenki, who look surprisingly modern for nomads dating back to at least 1927. They sure looked human to me.

It's not a human. Or an animal. Whatever we do tonight, we're dead.

So it looks like everything is coming together. But we've got lots and lots of clues, and they seem to be painting themselves into a "Well, we haven't explained everything but tune in next season that we won't have to see how it all pays off." corner. But at least it's interesting enough that I want to see the payoff.
Comments (15)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I missed most of the Neeko / Sabina confrontation. What happened?

I know several episodes ago Neeko brought the camera-man with him and said he was keeping some of the found-food for the group as rations since he kept trying to tell them to save some "just in case" but everyone just wanted to chow down. This was right after they found the "leftover food" from the fire.

So... how did that conversation play out? Was it:
  • He just didn't get a chance to explain himself?
  • OR was it revealed he was just playing it up to the cameras and wanted to keep the food for himself.
I mean, obviously he should have come forward after the snow OR when they were starting to get hungry. But it's only been a couple days since the snow storm and they'd already found all of that food in the metal box. So it wasn't crucial to reveal the food yet.

Flag
The implication was that they were all out of food. And Neeko hadn't revealed his stash.
Flag
But how out-of-food could they have been? It's been, what... 36 hours since they found food in the metal box? They came back from the other site, got the food out of the open box, had a meal and drank the vodka, passed out during the night, spent the whole day looking for Miljan, then had the spooky-night surrounded by "Others" or monsters.

I realize in super-cold climates you have to increase your calorie intake to make up for the lack of heat (body shivering and body trying to fight the cold uses lots of calories) but how could they be
A) out of food
B) SOOO out of food that they're getting ticked off

Now, I didn't see the scene. So it's possible that he made a guilty face like "Ahh, you caught me" But if he was trying to say "I was keeping it as rations" I'd be OK with it. The group obviously had no concept of survival or food rations.
Flag
Sorry if it sounds like I'm getting aggressive... I'm not. I'm just curious.

It they need to hold out for an undetermined amount of time then perhaps sitting on the food for the rest of the day would be acceptable.

But if he revealed that "Yeh, I was going to keep it for myself" then he's a d**k
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Flag
Flag
So, I will come back after I do this, but I am going to do it. I am going to research the 1927 expedition and that stuff. Seriously, is this Teen Wolf? Anyway, all of my exciting shows this week were sort of putting pieces in place mode (Breaking Bad) or otherwise driving me nuts (Continuum!!!)

I really think Miljan is likely just a whack a doo, but it doesn't mean he is wrong now and maybe was mistaken with what he was supposed to do when he originally tried to kill Irene. But I can't get past his almost sexual assault of Esther (and she bugs me) and that was before the crazy started. But yeah, Neeko is a bit of jerk, but a part of me thinks his whole character is the most accurate. If this had just been a regular reality show, he would have been a leader in a nice structured environment and his biggest risk would have been people aiming to take out the Alpha males, but early on they would have targeted Johnny first. Now, outside the structure of the game, he can't let go of being in control but he hasn't a clue what to do and Sabina hasn't fully taken the reins of leadership there yet.

The research group was kind of weird, they all tend to demand answers like right away and I keep waiting for, particularly Daniel, to just yell, give me a freaking minute! And I had to go with Sam with entering the locked lab, let's take a beat, are they locking something in or something out..and since we hear things going on in there...its keeping in. I mean, okay, it seemed to end find unless something very fast managed to escape behind them, but does someone have falconry skills that they could use the bird to take a message to someone? I think it is unlikely any of the four of them do. And why was Johnny basically lying to Sam about the distance of the town?
More+
Flag
The thing I liked about Neeko early on was simply the food thing. They found a big cache of food and their first instinct was to just have a feast. His reaction was "Let's save the non-perishables in case we have a food problem later" As a former boy scout and camping enthusiast... I whole-heartily agreed with Neeko's statement in that early episode.

Then the rest of the group got all snotty with them, especially Johnny after the fire about how stockpiling the food was a bad idea. Seriously they were acting like middle-schoolers.

I don't have any great love for Neeko... but god those early episodes made me wish that a bunch of the other characters would die. Honestly, I want Sam and Sabina to survive... and maybe Danny + Irene. Beyond that, the rest could die in a fire.
Flag
Flag
I don't recall if Johnny was really lying. How far was it? 100 km? 200 km?

OBVIOUSLY too far to consider walking in that climate... but if they have a working Snow Cat then it actually isn't that far. Granted the thing can probably only do 10 mph (16 kph) in the snow... but that's only 10 hours of driving; maybe 15-20 with lots of twists and turns. A day away on a VEHICLE from potential help... now that they have warm clothes... is actually pretty close. Especially when life-and-death are on the line.

Of course, knowing this show... even if they did decide to make the trek the Snow Cat would either break down, run out of gas, or they'd get there to find yet another abandoned town.
Flag
I don't know how much it was actual lying but he seemed to be relying on the fact that he can't do the math to convert so likely Sam couldn't either so he sort of generalized it making it sound like more like the kilometers than the miles (I suck at math so conversions tend to be difficult for me) .
Flag
Flag
I'm beginning to think that the only ones left (until Esther and Annie's return, if Annie does return) that aren't part of some consiracy or completely off their rocker is Sam, Johnny, and Sabina. Oh yeah, Neeko is in his own category, i.e., POS. Daniel is starting to behave wierd with his insistence to go into areas that most normal folks would have backed away from. Even going against his elder Sam's wishes. He just didn't come across as the Danny-boy we've come to love in the past 10-11 episodes. Good luck finding an internet provider when you get that computer running. I thought it was a little too coincidental when Joyce goes, "Oh yeah, I found these keys" when they happen to be the exact ones that were needed. She was a plant, after all.
So the reptilian tracks seen previously were just one the "Others" doing a bigfoot impersonation. OK, I have no idea what that is about. As I stated earlier, Sabina from the "cabin-team" has come around as being the most sane person around after her mysterious behavior at the start of this show. And personally, I think she is even becoming more attractive.
Can't wait for Esther's return since this program is kinda like the "Wacky Races" without Dick Dastardly in her absence.
As "sluu3p18" stated earlier, this was a pretty decent episode and I'm already regretting the inevitable announcement that this show will not be renewed for a 2nd season.

More+
Flag
Maybe the weird shoes are some variation of a snow-shoe instead of a Scooby Doo attempt at making Big Foot / Monster tracks?

As for Danny... he's taken a pounding. He made this trek because he thought he was going to find (or get) help for his new girl-friend who as far as he knows is now dead or perhaps lost her leg. So instead of being there with her, he's pretty much in a dead-end... no help and it's almost pointless to walk back.

So it makes sense that he'd kind of shut-down due to depression and just focus on whatever he could to try to find help.
Flag
Pretty decent episode. Nice to finally see the Others. They appear to be a helpful bunch based on the preview. Irene seemed okay now and Esther's still alive. I missed Esther's presence in this ep.
Odd that Daniel was able to hack the computer considering everything is in russian. I was thinking even the keyboard should have been in Cyrillic because everything else was.
Joyce should have taken more than the shoes/boots. They should have gone through all the pockets of the dead as well. Who knows what they may find? Keys to the truck? Cellphone? Guns?
Funny how Joyce was the only one who took a bath. They all must stink by now.
When they uncovered the falcon, I thought the first thing they were thinking was "Hmmm food!" Then I thought, maybe the falcon was a messenger bird of some sort. I guess we'll find out in the later eps.

Flag
As for the keyboard... I had the same thought. Then again I've never seen a Russian keyboard so I don't know if it's more-or-less QWERTY.

As for the falcon / hawk... food would be a bad idea. If I found a live and seemingly normal animal in a lab full of dead mutants... I'd probably avoid eating the thing. God only knows what it was exposed to or what was done to it. Perhaps it's clean... or perhaps it was experimented on right before everyone died and thus hasn't started to change yet.
Flag
I thought the exact thing when they uncovered the falcon but apparently the Russian Dew must be an appetite supressor since they're constantly guzzling that down.
Flag
I'm thinking that Miljan truly is off his meds. In the first eppy, the host told them that they were competing without their luggage. Bet Miljan had his anti-pyschotics packed in his suitcase :-)
Flag
I don't think they make meds for "annoying".....
Flag
Follow this Show
Members