A Siberia Community
Monday 10:00 PM on NBC

Welcome to the latest round of TV.com's "This vs. That," where we pit two things against one another and you vote on which one should win... in whatever context you choose. Our newest match-up features two shows that, before they premiered earlier this summer, appeared to share little more than some unexplained supernatural phenomena and a Monday-at-10pm timeslot: CBS's much-hyped Stephen King adaptation Under the Dome, and NBC's barely mentioned, faux-reality horror drama Siberia. But here we are a couple months later, and both shows have weird stuff going on in the woods! Both shows have surprised us, if only a little, in terms of how good (or bad) they turned out to be (relative to our expectations, anyway)! Both shows take place in environments where precipitation acts totally wacky! Both shows have a husky bald-headed dude in their cast! 

Anyway, last week, TV.com user Gislef awesomely and very thoughtfully compared the two series using a number of criteria, and his "Which show is better?" verdict was equal parts surprising and... not. But I just couldn't resist the urge to "officially" name one show superior via a trusty, vote-using-whatever-logic-you-like throwdown. And with that, dear readers, I implore you to please weigh in:

Show your work in the comments!

PREVIOUSLY: This vs. That: Friends or Seinfeld?

Ed. note: If there's a specific battle you'd like to see, send it via PM to TVcom_editorial, via Twitter to @tvdotcom, or via email to mailbag@tv.com. (And thanks to those of you who've already submitted ideas!)

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 9/16/2013

Season 1 : Episode 11

73 Comments
Comments (73)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
you kidding me?? sibira is SO MUCH better! scarier, creepier, more life-threatening!
Flag
I personally like Under the Dome better. im surprised everyone likes siberia all i heard was negative comments about it and i continued to watch both.
Flag
Siberia has become my one "must see" on TV at this time. I love watching it--always looking for those Hitchcock like clues they leave here & there--then discussing with my ever growing group of fellow Siberians. Thanks for the people that created it......I did watch the first 3 episodes of Dome, but found it very lacking. Proof that the best pedigree (King & Spielberg) and tons of money don't always guarantee success...
Flag
Siberia is amazing! I look forward to new Monday night episodes so much that it actually makes the week feel like it goes by slower.

The character development is so much better than UtD. It's night and day: I love many of the Siberia characters and can't stand all of the UtD characters. The plot development is steady and unfolds mysteries and hints at a great pace. It has a very Lost-like feel to the way the mystery is unraveling. Do yourselves a favor and watch the first five or six episodes of Siberia, and see what you think.

Honestly, I don't know why NBC didn't market this show better. As the comments show, many people have never heard about it, and it's very difficult to find the show on the NBC iphone/ipad app.

Catch up online, On Demand, or on your NBC apps, then jump in and watch it Monday nights at 10 on NBC.
Flag
having watched both shows for 4 episodes (and quitted Under the Dome afterwards as it was unbearable) I can fairly say Siberia it is.. characters are much more reliable, and the mystery effect is given in a much better way..
Flag
how about Sherlock(BBC) versus Elementary?
Flag
Not even a contest. Already know which one will be plebiscited.
Flag
Staff
Hehe that doesn't mean we won't do it anyway. ;)
Flag
Well I guess it never hurts to show Benedict Cumberbatch some love.
Flag
What's Siberia? Should I watch it? Have not heard anything about it from my friends. Hummmmm... I pick Siberia. And seriously, should I be watching this show?????
Flag
i hope you picked siberia, it was and is awesome!!
Flag
It's certainly watchable so far, but I would recommend that you wait until the remaining five episodes have aired and then ask again.
Flag
Now that the final episode has been aired, I'm ready to give my answer:

Stay the fuck away from this show. It was mildly entertaining (roughly at the level of Under the dome), but it just kept piling mysteries on top of each other that they probably had no intention to ever explain. The finale didn't conclude the story. It didn't even bring us closer to a conclusion. We got partial explanations for the footprint mystery (actually that was in the two episodes before the finale) and the amnesia incident, but we are still completely clueless about all the other mysteries. The finale just introduced more of them.

Note that Siberia has zero chance of renewal, due to its extremely low ratings. The finale had an 18-49 rating of 0.6 and 1.75M total viewers. It would need three times that to have a chance.

Flag
So it's horrible and amazing. Sounds like my X girlfriend.
Flag
Yes, you should watch it! It is amazing! It starts off a little slow but gets better with each episode!
Flag
Siberia is awesome, campy fun. Had to wade through the first couple episodes, but once things started to happen, they really started to happen. The characters are crazy, and the mystery is... Well, really a mystery. Some people are saying that it's predictable? But I honestly have zero idea what is going on, and I kinda love it that way.
Flag
I'd say Siberia is the better show because it has a stronger sci-fi feel to it, especially in the last episode. Under the Dome is totally unfocused and all over the place and isn't able to pin down a mood or plot or anything. Both have extreme failings, but beside the facts that it took way too long to stop being the worst reality show and probably won't have a second season, Siberia seems to have way more potential.
Flag
I don't watch either of them currently but I watched the first four episodes of Under the Dome and it was dreadful.
Flag
UtD gets better, Siberia keeps the same. You be the judge of which is better if you'll watch more of the first.
Flag
Siberia is surprisingly very entertaining. I like the reality show point of view because it makes the characters actions more believable. I stopped watching UtD after the second episode, though if I hear that it starts to get better I may pick it up again.
Flag
Wait? What are we voting on? Because we cant be voting on which one is better because that come up whit both are shit and I don't see that option. Ill vote for Siberia because I don't watch it and that makes it 10x better than UtD.
Flag
Neither is ground-breaking in any way, and are only around because there is nothing else on. Who decided summer had to be the dead season for TV?
Flag
Siberia is an entertaining summer show, and I like the characters and mysteries. There is not really anything ground breaking in any season on TV right now the last big ground breaking show I can think of was GoT but that is already a few seasons old now and a HBO show.
Flag
This is difficult because I haven't seen Siberia and I'm only watching Under The Dome still because it is THAT BAD.
Flag
Watched both, but only watching Siberia now. I like the concept, but i feel like they wasted too much time trying to come off as a reality show. It's like we know it's not real, so get on with it already!
Flag
I choose a nice long run outside.
Flag
Then why even respond?
Flag
Oddly enough I thought this was a message board, where people respond and post; also if I'm no fan of the 2 proposed shows.
Another question could be, if you are so opposed to posts that doesn't answer "A or B" - why make a post that has even less to do with the topic, than mine.

Flag
Never liked Under the Dome.
Flag
UdT had a good pilot and a premise that sounded promising. But it turned out to be mediocre at best. I'm still watching it, because there isn't a lot of scifi on the air right now, but it's not a show I'd recommend to friends. At least at the beginning, we could hope that they'd have a good plan how the story would unfold over the summer and how it would end - a solid story arc. But now that a second season has been ordered, that hope is gone, too. Compared to its potential, its quite a letdown.

Siberia on the other hand, was a pleasant surprise. I never watch reality shows like Survivor, so that ingredient of the show isn't something I've already seen countless times and I'm quite enjoying it. At the beginning, it felt a bit cheap and low-budget, but it turned out to be an entertaining summer show, and I like its characters and the mysteries. Because it's different and not quite what you'd expect from such a show.
Flag
Siberia looked like it was going to be completly shit, but it's actually a fun show to watch.

UTD looked like it was going to be alright and turned pretty shit.
Flag
couldn't have said it better:)
Flag
I can't believe they haven't posted an Under The Dome vs. Revolution Battle.
Flag
Angie vs. Charlie for most annoying female protagonist in a science fiction drama. The envelope please ...

Ah, who am I kidding. Charlie in a walk ... but at least she can take a punch.
Flag
i never thought that siberia would be that good it is so much better than under the dome
Flag
I choose under the dome, mainly because it gets me more curious about what's going to happen next. Its writing leave a lot to be desired, but Siberia is far from flawless too. It doesn't make sense e.g. that now that the competition is over, the contestants still don't really interact with the cameramen. No cameraman ever even offers an opinion on what the group should do to survive.

In this week's episode, when the group was dividing up a pile of winter clothes and other useful stuff, no camera man showed any interest in getting a piece of it. Why? Because they already have everything they need? Then shouldn't that be a source of conflict between them and the rest of the group? When one person was in danger of dying, the three former contestants had a discussion about what to do. Why didn't the camera guy participate? He's going to die too if the two who decided not to stay there fail at what they set out to do. So maybe he should have gone with them instead.

I'm also a bit concerned about the increasing number of mysteries on the show. There was another show a few years back that was piling mysteries on top of each other like there was no tomorrow, and it turned out that everything was just a bunch of bullshit. So I'm worried that these writers are doing the same thing. If that skeleton we saw last week doesn't get explained, I'm going to be pissed off. It's going to make me wish I hadn't watched the show at all.

I think that for those who haven't started yet, it might be a good idea to wait until it's over before you decide if you want to watch it. Then you can ask someone if the show as a whole made sense or not.

More+
Flag
Since you bring it up, I feel some weird need to compare the husky bald-headed dude in each cast.

Siberia's bowling-ball is Sam, a bouncer from NY. Sam kinda sucks. He's fairly tough and tries to be reasonable, which are both fine qualities, but his perpetually-sad face and his humorous attempts at translating Russian make him a bore to watch.

Under the Dome's chrome dome is Big Jim Rennie, the local car dealer, councilman, meth manufacturer, and father-of-the-weirdo-of-the-year. He's nice to those who are nice to him, and mean to those who piss him off. He literally says: "Woohoo!" when it rains and can feel the laser-sight from a rifle on the back of said bald head.

All in all, winner = Big Jim. He's easily more interesting.
Flag
How about Breaking Bad vs The Walking Dead?
Flag
Breaking Bad vs Lost would be a better battle
Flag
Breaking Bad Wins! Flawless Victory. Walking Dead has an entire season that was so horrid it almost killed the show (and probably should have... glad it didn't). Walking Dead has characters that are so pointless and/or stupid it is often hard to scream at the show. Breaking Bad has several incredible seasons and fantastic protagonists. I really like Walking Dead, but no contest. GoT v BB... hmmm....
Flag
Ahaha. Season 2 was horrific, but season 3 stepped it up to a whole new level. If this is a contest to see which series is boring, though, I'm pretty sure Breaking Bad wins. I've watched three or four seasons of it and I just couldn't get into it.
Flag
Both are ridiculous. But Siberia is a tad more ridiculous-fun while Under the Dome is a tad more ridiculous-stupid.
Flag
Maybe when Breaking Bad is finished. The ultimate battle between Breaking Bad & The Wire? Although Breaking Bad will probably win since The Wire already ended in 2008.. But if there is one show that can compete with BB, it would be The Wire..
Flag
The only current shows that might make sense in a battle with BB is GoT and Homeland. BB is certainly the most flawless one, but I got more viewing pleasure out of both Homeland and GoT last season. The Wire should be matched against The Sopranos. Hm, how about BB vs GoT, The Wire vs The Sopranos, and Homeland vs 24?
Flag
Oh my god...I keep reading GoT this,GoT that...GoT SUCKS!!! Read books instead. I will admit,that 1st season GoT was awsome,then they ruined it.
Flag
I can understand your frustration.
Its very very rare that you find the cinematic/tv adaptation good after reading the book.
The only exception in my life : Jurassic Park
Forget the books and GOT the show is mindblowing.
Flag
Nonsense. I can't even imagine why you think so. Maybe because the "where are my dragons" stuff in season 2 was pretty lame. I would agree with that, but Dany's arc was very strong in season 3. This show also has the best actors of any show ever, except maybe Breaking Bad.

The biggest problem this show has is that there aren't enough episodes per season. There are things in the story that would benefit from getting more time, but they're not able to do that with 10 episodes per season. The liberation of Yunkai is the most notable example. That would have needed an additional hour at least.

The show certainly has some problems, but all things considered, it's still pretty amazing. I'm not a fan of books in general, so I don't think I'll ever read the books.

Flag
I voted for Siberia. I don't even watch the show. That's how bad Under the Dome is.
Flag
Siberia.
I watch both series, but can't watch neither live. Right now I watch Siberia as soon as I have time, and there is a new episode. And with Under the Dome it's more of a "Eh, I don't have anything else to do.. And I already watched Siberia."
Also with Siberia I pay attention throughout, and with UtD I sometimes drift off and do other stuff while it's on.
Flag
I've been taping all the episodes of Siberia and just got into them now. Unfortunately the stupid royal baby pre-empted episode 4 and my DVR didn't record it the following week because it thought it already had it.
So, after watching 5 of 7 Siberia episodes and 7 of 8 UTD, I'm going to go ahead and give the nod to Siberia.
While I cheer for everyone on UTD to die because I can't put up with that garbage anymore, I actually find myself wanting people to survive on this show! The characters have taken turns becoming my favourites and I'd actually be sad to see at least half of them die at this point.
Flag
I like Siberia a hell of a lot more than Under the Dome. Until Teen Wolf was over, Siberia was an on demand show, but it was also, like as soon as I got home from work on Tuesday (like I am so happy I have it watch when I get home today). I just sort of assume that Under the Dome would have the usual on demand problems that CBS shows tend to, but I just feel very much like I do about Revolution. I just keep watching it. Siberia though, I actually care about the characters more (exactly what the hell did Mijan do to Irene?) and I am really curious about what exactly is going on. Whereas, i don't really care about the Dome. Like last night, I actually totally forgot Joe and Norrie were looking for something when they came upon the barn. Now, I will be watching Siberia live (I assume I have about three or four more episodes left...a lot of people are still alive and, mind you I haven't seen last night's episode yet, but did the people who left actually go anywhere?
Flag
Siberia. I'm watching it right now B-) Awesome stuff.
Flag
This was a hard one, but I really really wanted to vote. So, I want back and looked at how long I could bare to watch the shows. I only watched three episodes of Siberia, but Under the Dome made it to four. So my vote went to Under the Dome!
Flag
Under the Dome is one of the worst TV shows right now, I stop watching after 5 eps I cant stand most of the people on this show and the cheap dramatic moments, I cant believe this show is renewed and Siberia is not!
Flag
The main difference is in the marketing. Everyone knew that the dome was coming, but who even heard of Siberia before it started? OK, I'm sure it was advertised on NBC, but UtD got a lot of buzz on the internet as well. UtD also has some recognizable faces and a more interesting premise. Siberia also kind of ticks off people who hate reality shows. (I'm one of those people, and it took a while to get used to the style. It also took a while for them to stop doing interview scenes). So I think the ratings are to some extent understandable. It surprises me a lot that UtD's ratings haven't fallen faster, but it doesn't surprise me that they started high, or that Siberia's ratings started low.

Flag
Siberia is a amazing show it started off looking like a bad show but it got better every single ep, Really I counting the days till monday to see the next ep of it!! Really I can't be the only one?!
Flag
Voted for Under The Dome...gave up on Siberia,after 2 episodes. I like watching Cassie,Hank and Joe+Norrie ain't bad to watch.
But you can't really compare these 2 shows...really weird choice for this vs. that...
Flag
They have very different styles, but they started around the same time and are both about people isolated from the rest of the world by something mysterious. So I think it's a good choice.
Flag
SIBERIA.
I gave up on Under the dump after ep 3 I think; they ruined a totally great premise with stupid storylines and even worse characters. At least Siberia does not take itself too seriously and I have thoroughly enjoy the whole season so far.
Flag
Siberia all the way...I dont even waste my time watching Dome anymore.
Flag
I'm eagerly anticipating the Jericho vs. Revolution showdown.

Hint hint... =)
Flag
That is the most lopsided matchup I've seen in a long time. :)
Flag
Staff
Duly noted. ;)
Flag
Follow this Show
Members