Signing Time

PBS Premiered Jan 01, 2006 In Season

Signing Time Fan Reviews (5)

7.2
  • all shows

This show is not deaf friendly, it is not ASL. It is for hearing people, not deaf. It's signed English, which is not a language. Please don't say it's ASL, when it not. Don't say it's a show for people of all types of disabilities when it clearly alienates the deaf. The colored tape of her fingers is distracting and not necessary. I'm not impressed with a show that takes a language and mangles it while not serving the people who own the language.
  • This Show Is Bad

I don't like show, now I know that this is a kids show but that's no excuse for a bad show. This show is basically Dora the Explorer exercise video crossover show, why? Well it talks down to kids just like Dora, and it repeats the motion more than twice. This show also has annoying songs that repeat twice; not only that the background looks very cheap like it was made on 100 dollar budget. so all in all it sucks don't watch it
  • Fabulous and easy

I just came across the first 3 volumes over the holidays. My son was born 3months premature and several people told me to teach him signs. He has mild cerebral palsy in his left hand and arm so hopefully he can use it enough to sign. I just started working withnhim so no results yet, however, I am pleased at how easy it was for ME to learn 79 words! Songs are very catchy and meaningful too. Can't wait for Edward to sign "Mommy" the first time!
  • Signing Time is THE future of children's programming. Whether it's Signing Time's Series 1 or Series 2 organization, more shows should use a similar format to Signing Time.

Let me say ONE thing: I LOVE THIS SHOW! I discovered it while flipping through the channels from my local cable provider. I THOUGHT that there was nothing good on PBS but decided to change it to that anyway. It was in the middle of the show--I'm pretty sure I was watching "Everyday Signs"--and Rachel pops up on the screen and says, "Sign Dry." I was thinking, "AWESOME!!!! I didn't know there was a program with this stuff on it!" I was instantly hooked. I NEEDED more of this show! I checked the television listings, and sure enough, it was on at the same time next week. I tuned in. Then, at the end, there was a thing telling people to go to signingtimekids.org. I went and played a couple games before I saw the link to the Signing Time website. I clicked it, and as they say, the rest is history. I became a member of the Signing Time forums and subscribed to receive updates from the site. I registered an account with their online store and now own 7 DVDs and 2 tapes, and I am taping it each week on my local PBS station (if only they'd air Series 1 again!).

This show helps many children of all abilities. There are VERY MANY testimonials on the Signing Time website. I also babysit a child with autism, and although he doesn't sign much, I noticed something after watching an episode of Signing Time. We had just finished watching "Who Has The Frog?" and he had started doing a slightly different version of the sign for "frog." Sure, it was away from his face/chin, and he was using all of his fingers, but he was SIGNING! I was so happy and surprised!

If more shows followed Signing Time's format, kids would take more away from educational shows. Shows should teach a couple of things at a time, and then sum up what they learned with a song. It would help children retain the information better and would lead to a smarter world.

Signing Time is amazing and nobody should be denied a chance to watch it. Even though it's American Sign Language, it's been used in Japan and Ghana. Alex, Leah, and Rachel actually got to go over there and help teach at a deaf school.

I will never stop praising this series. Signing Time is great!
  • A fun show to learn some sign language

Signing Time is a great show if you are interested in learning a little sign language. I wanted to learn some to sign to my infant. The show is specifically targeted to children 1-8 but any one can watch it. Every episode covers a different topic ranging from zoo animals to family members. You learn about 20 words in every episode and there's always a few catchy songs too. I think there are currently 11 half hour episodes available on dvd. My 3 yr old loves the show. We have watched the episodes over and over again and she has even learned a few words.